Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many crisises has your fort survived?  (Read 3729 times)

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many crisises has your fort survived?
« on: November 13, 2011, 03:01:04 pm »

See title.
Mine's managed two.
One was fairly standard; a few goblins broke the line of defenders and got into the fortress, but were beaten to death by the civilians. Never doubt the power of the dwarven dog pile.
The other one happened when the first caravan (new fort) left on bad terms (I swear, that diplomat was a whiny little elf) and I took a look at the stocks to find that there was no plump helmet wine, no plump helmet seeds, and no plump helmets. That winter was a hard one... a lot of rodents were eaten, a few migrants died of dehydration, and more than one violent riot was put to rest by the militia. Come spring, we began to forage outside for food, though all we really got was a lot of blade weed... we also hunted and consumed badgers. Most of them barely made it to the stockpiles before they were set upon, let alone being cooked. Children continued to die of malnourishment. Tantrums ran rampant. One of the milita starved to death in his hospital bed after being injured during a riot involving a legendary miner. Finally, in mid summer, armageddon broke out with a tantrum spiral brought on by the consumption of someone's pet cat. The survivors were most of the S7, minus my mason and one of the farmers, as well as five members of the militia, much of the hospital staff, and a few kids.  They survived by eating fisher berries gathered from outside, drinking water, and partying nonstop to stave off insanity. At last, Autumn came, and these were the few dwarves left to meet the caravans. Nevertheless, we wheeled out the stone crafts to the trade depot. At last, the plump helmets!
EDIT: Should also say that we ran out of cave wheat and rock nuts, and didn't have the capacity to get anything out of the sweet pods.
Then he charged me all my stuff for ten plump helmets and threatened to walk out again if I refused.

Bastard.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:05:33 pm by Casp »
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many crisises has your fort survived?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 03:05:41 pm »

23 Goblin seiges, 50 goblin ambushes, 17 FBs, 12 Titans, a bronze colossus, several semi megabeasts. It survived 1 tantrum spiral where 10 dwarves died. The second one reduced the population from 217 to 43 in one winter. Everyone died when I opened hell by accident and I was able to reseal it. We were down to 16 workerdwarves and my last supersoldier. The last supersoldier got horrifically crippled fighting a giant microline FB. While he lay in bed, two FBs came and murdered the other 16 workerdwarves. He died after being beaten by an FB for two months in a bed.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »

So far there's been a tantrum spiral, a lost battle against a serpent-man tribe, an outbreak of the rot (which killed all pets and is technically still in effect), 3 FBs and a couple of goblin sieges.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:43:38 pm »

my fort is low on metal. To be more accurate, it has copper, silver and gold. I'm getting steel clad goblin siegers assaulting my fort, in succession. My wealth is legendary. The number of attackers who died should be legendary too. Still they come. One leaves, the next one is a few days behind. It'd be a great source for trading, if only a caravan could make it through. Not that trading is actually needed, we have fungus tree farms and the whole bnch, even the above ground farms cant be reached by them, but if we do not kill the scum, someone else has to deal with them!

i used to say, love serrated discs. Now i say i love them combined with big spiked balls. Since i only have copper and silver, i dont cut through any decent armor, but crushing works fine. My militia mops up the ones with broken spines and arms that didnt get their brains crushed too

like i said, basically, i'm cleaning traps between squads and dont have enough refuse piles. they keep coming.. dont mine gold, dont smelt gold, dont use the bars for anything!

i just wished i kept a save with a fort with a lot of iron.... my latests havnt been the best
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 03:47:30 pm »

I have an ongoing crisis.My fortress is constantly under siege.Every summer without fail a large goblin invasion happens and every summer I beat the back.It's largely down to my five uberchampions but each year I lose one or two civilians and with little to no migrants showing up its an attrition I cant keep up with. :'(On the plus side i generally get loads of iron. ;D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 03:51:17 pm »

i get a siege by goblins every season, pretty much. Normally it'd be an ambush, or some snatchers. for me, siege, siege, siege
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:07:50 pm »

For my current fort? let's see...

There was that logging operation that went horribly wrong due to a badly timed goblin siege, resulting in the deaths of several good soldiers, including one of the greatest dwarves I've ever had.

I recently started messing around with magma, and accidentally flooded the would-be magma forge room.

There was another recent siege that lead to more deaths than it should have, on account of me forgetting to define the burrow that I told all of the civilians to hide in. Also lost some good soldiers there.

For some reason or another, the caravans have been ignoring us, meaning all of the goblinite is piling up, and I'm struggling to become entirely self sufficient. Especially in terms of log supply.

And, of course, there was "The Siege of Gorerape", one of the toughest attacking forces I ever faced, the likes of which was responsible for several deaths, scaring away the dwarven merchants, and a plethora of blood and bits to clean up.

Oh, and due to all of the injury and suffering that the Gorerapeian(good god that sounds horrible. Never using word again) dwarves have had to endure over the years, and my stubbornness in refusing to build a proper hospital anywhere but the top floor of the incomplete central keep, I decided to put together a makeshift one in the mayor/baron/broker's would-be office.

That's all I can think of at the moment...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:10:50 pm by King DZA »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 04:22:59 pm »

In Wungknives, which was a sprawling city-type thing made from fireclay and covering the entirety of the surface, with neither a real gate nor any defenses besides the crossbows everyone carried and knew how to use, and some cage traps by the entrance. I released a previously caged bronze collosus in the middle of the city while trying to pit it (dunno why I though it would work on a bronze collosus).  It didn't seem to mind crossbow fire and killed everyone bu 14 dwarves, 6 of those children, 1 an elite marksdwarf and the baron, also an elite marksdwarf. Those hit in the cavern hunting ground.  The marskdwarf was badly injured and lay in bed. 

The baron killed two forgotten beasts, rallied the last mason into a miner and together they launched a daring scheme to capture the collosus in one of the bedrooms in the third surface pyramid (it was busy breaking a high quality cabinet).

They succeeded in walling it in, only to discover a siege. 

Wrungknives again retreated to the hunting ground wholesale.  The goblins raged across the surface and left killing no one, but finding no one as well.  The ogres, of whom there were forty or so, lingered smashing things.

The baron Aban and the mason/miner dug into the old forge area to steal an anvil.  Ogres attracted by the open route to dwarves rushed the entrance but the miner dug out a channel in time and the route was blocked, and Aban shot an ogre.

With an Anvil we were able to produce an axe and begin chopping wood and splint the leg of the injured marksdwarf.  When the human caravan came, able bodied dwarves ran out and helped the caravan guards fight some 40+ ogres to the death.  Luckily a huge group of migrants appeared with the caravan. We lived

Wrungknives is still alive. Fort broke 55 years old, Aban still leads it.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »

my fort is low on metal. To be more accurate, it has copper, silver and gold. I'm getting steel clad goblin siegers assaulting my fort, in succession. My wealth is legendary. The number of attackers who died should be legendary too. Still they come. One leaves, the next one is a few days behind. It'd be a great source for trading, if only a caravan could make it through. Not that trading is actually needed, we have fungus tree farms and the whole bnch, even the above ground farms cant be reached by them, but if we do not kill the scum, someone else has to deal with them!

i used to say, love serrated discs. Now i say i love them combined with big spiked balls. Since i only have copper and silver, i dont cut through any decent armor, but crushing works fine. My militia mops up the ones with broken spines and arms that didnt get their brains crushed too

like i said, basically, i'm cleaning traps between squads and dont have enough refuse piles. they keep coming.. dont mine gold, dont smelt gold, dont use the bars for anything!

i just wished i kept a save with a fort with a lot of iron.... my latests havnt been the best
Make silver warhammers
Mount in weapontraps
Goes through armor
Goes through bones
TEARS APART THE WORLD
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 04:38:27 pm »

I divided my fort history in to parts BFW and PFW, before frost wyvern and post frost wyvern.
Once a frost wyvern attacked my fort, Me and my drofs dealed with it quickly, but it covered my military (and their armor)
with poison it killed all of my axelords (10) now my fort has a novice axedorfs squad and a legendary marksdwarf squad.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 04:39:05 pm »

I'm not sure what really qualifies as a crisis, but I'd say my fort has survived at least one.  Even after 11 years I've yet to see a tantrum spiral.  Even after that crisis.

The crisis in question was my first forgotten beast with deadly dust.  It showed up at a bad time and didn't get close to my fort, so I forgot about it.  A month later it wandered up into my fort and proceeded to kill over 70 dwarves before I subdued it.  Over 1/3 of the population died.  And still no tantrum spiral.  Only a single dwarf tantrumed after his wife and kids died and one of his pets rotted.  No one else though, and he got over it.

I've managed to withstand quite a few sieges and most these days don't even kill anyone.  I've killed probably 15 or so forgotten beasts, a titan, and 6 minotaurs.  No idea how many ambushes and sieges.

Heck, I even survived the circus.  I opened it up hoping to end the fort on a funny note, but the clowns just flat out ignored me.  ???

I'm feeling a bit left out of the Fun I was promised when I started Dwarf Fortress.  Think I'll try an above ground only fort next time and see if that's a bit more challenging.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 04:47:50 pm »

My fort has survived three major catastrophes.

First there was the tantrum spiral due to a mistimed cave-in as we finished the aquifer breach, which wiped out most of the miners. Since only a handful of dwarves actually had beds or dining tables (as the fort was basically a large hall waiting for the aquifer to be breached), most were already unhappy and the ensuing tantrum spiral cut the population from 72 to 6. None of those 6 is still alive (though my baron was in the first migrant wave to arrive subsequently.

The second catastrophe involved a bronze colossus called Malduz Scratchclashed the Ace of Matching and a small side entrance that I didn't know existed (as a result of a second aquifer breach attempt - many years later, still not finished!). While I sat casually waiting for him to fall into my entrance cage trap, he strolled in through the back door and proceeded to lay waste to my hastily-assembled militia. He was cut and scratched all over, and my heroic militia commander took one of his arms off with a steel short sword (and even survived the battle) but all of my soldiers were either dead or severely injured. While I managed to get a fair chunk of the population down into the mines behind cage traps, the remainder were chased around the fort and killed one by one via spectacular kicks. Eventually the colossus got distracted tearing apart the coffins in the mass grave from the last spiral, and we cut him off with cage traps. He spent a long time at the bottom of my entrance pit before being replaced by a pack of GDS, and is now going to be my centrepiece for a temple to the goddess of death (as he makes a very suitable avatar!).

However the fallout from the one-armed kickboxing colossus attack was catastrophe three - another tantrum spiral. The large number of civvies packed into a mine with no food, as well as the casualties unceremoniously piled in the corner of our very small hospital (which was understaffed as due to my stupidity the chief medic had been in the military and was now dwarf chutney) led to some severe unhappiness. Fortunately this time we had fewer deaths, as the fort was in much better shape than at the first. Most were OK once sent out to eat in our magnificent dining hall. The main casualties we suffered were a migrant wave that ran into a berserk woodcutter, and the victims, including the new mayor, of the miner I appointed to deal with said woodcutter but accidentally made CotG and who started dishing out *bronze pick* justice.

Now, I consider Akrulatol to be very nearly disaster-proof, having learned a lot of lessons from previous troubles. We have an extremely large and well-appointed hospital capable of looking after dozens of dwarves at once. Every dwarf has their own bedroom, and the fortress is suitably labyrinthine that a rogue megabeast could be distracted by a building long enough to be walled up. We have a proper justice system to imprison any dwarves that start tantruming (I don't care if they die. One dead dwarf is better than a dozen killed by a berserker). We have a highly-trained and heavily armed military, the best soldiers carrying adamantine weaponry (possibly even capable of dealing with a BC, but I don't want to find out). We have a dedicated bunker area, equipped with about a hundred beds, engravings, and ample food and drink supplies. And we have large fortifications on the surface to repel most attacks (which I am still beefing up in the face of extensive goblin "interest").

Which means the next catastrophe is going to take me completely by surprise...

Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 06:23:53 pm »

I usually define crisis as something that I can't survive, otherwise its a "minor setback."
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »

Year 3
Fortress defense with all civs installed
I lost count of how many sieges came. All I know is, I started with 4 full squads of well trained, well equipped dorfs.

I left with half of one. The horra

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 08:38:22 pm »

The plural of crisis is crises. Just sayin'.
Pages: [1] 2