Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Badger men have taken over my mine.  (Read 1707 times)

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Badger men have taken over my mine.
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:21:52 am »

I'll admit I haven't played since the pre-March bee release. So check me on this.

I have a little mine over to the west of my wagon when I started out. Nothing much, just to get some tin and marble. I was experimenting with the above ground walls and such, and I became a bit concerned when badger men started trickling around my crude little startup fort. But they weren't aggressive, and hadn't harmed anyone, so I figured we could let bygones be bygones... until I had some walls and crossbows. Then something odd happened. they were getting enraged and stopping, enraged and stopping. Then they took over my mine to the west. There must be 15+ in there at the moment.

Is this normal? Are they making a nest/den? Should I be worried?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Badger men have taken over my mine.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 06:23:22 am »

Have you been around on the forums after the release? Badgers are nasty. They're like land-carp.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:59:13 am »

THERE IS NOTHING TO BE FEARED.

OPEN THE GATES AND LET THE FRIENDLY BADGER PEOPLE INSIDE.

YOU DO NOT SUSPECT.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:09:53 am »

That's the thing, they aren't aggressive at all, no one is harmed, and my walls aren't complete. They circle carefully around my little fellas, and since they don't steal or anything, or attack anyone, I've left them alone. I'm not sure about why they are going in and out of being enraged, or why they have decided to live in my 9x9 little tin mine, but I was wondering if they were starting a tribe or something. Could I enslave them, teach them to kill my foes? So much to learn anew.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:55:44 am »

That's the thing, they aren't aggressive at all, no one is harmed, and my walls aren't complete. They circle carefully around my little fellas, and since they don't steal or anything, or attack anyone, I've left them alone. I'm not sure about why they are going in and out of being enraged, or why they have decided to live in my 9x9 little tin mine, but I was wondering if they were starting a tribe or something. Could I enslave them, teach them to kill my foes? So much to learn anew.

Hmm...

Spoiler: Game Mechanics Answer (click to show/hide)

Sadly, there's currently no way to employ them... but in theory, with some modding, and a utility like DFusion, you could make them a part of your fort. Give the modding section a glance and you may just find you have yourself some of the most badass surface warriors ever.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 02:09:01 pm »

Tribes and clusters of creatures generally pick a place to chill, and stay there for a while. I'd say just abandon that mine until/unless they leave. If you're lucky they'll deal with things like sieges and titans for you.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 03:13:50 pm »

Damn, this is so typically for DF:
"Badgermen have taken over my Mine! What should I do?"
Next post:
"Is there a way to weaponize them?"

I think you should let them live there, until you can somehow manage to get them up a cliff, and then throw them 20 z-levels down to sever their bodyparts and make badgermen crowns.
As a sign of your superiority over them.
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 02:08:29 am »

After being scared out of the mine by a turkey gobbler and his hen, the badger people have decided to loiter around the refuse pile to the north now.
Amazing the little touches of the game can be.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 07:11:39 am »

Try to catch them, and put them in a pit. Drop in unarmed, unarmored goblins, cavies, and other weak creatures you find. Since badgerpeople are intelligent, they will learn. They will become super-powerful badger people. Then you can release them on sieges. Scary, no? Correct about the no: Their punches and bites won't pierce armor, bowgoblins will make badgerpeople no-longer-walking arrow repositories very quickly, and aside from making them more likely to attack, enraging won't do anything.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:40:07 am »

Enraging also makes creatures hit harder with their attacks then they would if they weren't enraged. No bonuses to hitting or anything, but the damage that they deal with attacks is increased. Not that it still will help them that much against armored foes, though it will increase their capabilities against unarmored ones.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hudders

• Bay Watcher
  • Excuse me while I waffle
    • View Profile
    • Doodle Circus
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 06:34:54 am »

I corralled some into my (dry) moat and periodically drop goblins on them. The moat is just deep enough to cripple the goblins and give the badger men a chance.