Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: I proppose a new-ish fluid sistem.  (Read 9661 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
I proppose a new-ish fluid sistem.
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:49:46 am »

So as it is right now, the biggest problem with having multiple fluids, is that you would need tons of other to be created once two fluids mix. I`ve been thinking about this for a while and I think I might have found a sollution. So the idea is as follows

Fluids would now be deffined in the raws. Each liquid would have a defined density. When two liquids meet, for instance, 3 units of water and 4 units of rock nut oil, then the lighter one(I`m guessing it should be rock nut oil) would be on the top. So you would have something like a liquid tile that blinks colors between the two colors of the liquids. There should always be a base pure liquid to ensure that any liquids that get mixed with it would eventually get purified back into the base liquid. This also means that you would always need the base liquidm(which is water in this case), to purify anything. Otherwise mixed fluids stay mixed forever.

You could also define some liquid combinations if you wanted so to make more stuff I guess.

What do you think?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: I proppose a new-ish fluid sistem.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:18:38 am »

Have you ever played The Powder Toy?
It's better to not enter in this density thing, or we are going to have some liquid teleporting and such.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:23:09 am »

I have. I like it. I dont think that ensity would cause teleportation.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:40:41 am »

Temperature would influence  liquid density in your system?

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:38:48 am »

I believe oil and water seperating is a exception, most fluids would mix.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:12:25 am »

And it will be hard to know how many oil jugs are necessary to create 1/7 oil tile as one tile  can be huge or ridiculous small.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:31:41 am »

Temperature would influence  liquid density in your system?
You mean like what floats and waht doesnt? Yeah. So you might end up with 1 unit of frozed liquid on top and 6 liquids on the botom.

And it will be hard to know how many oil jugs are necessary to create 1/7 oil tile as one tile  can be huge or ridiculous small.
Jugs? If they are units of liquid then are they stored in jugs?
EDIT: What I mean by that is that right now, a bucket can store some certain amount of liquid. I think the bucket can contain the same amount of any liquid.

I believe oil and water seperating is a exception, most fluids would mix.

Yeah. Some liquids might only be able to evaporate. Some might only do so in the sunlight. Others might have the opposeite.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:45:24 am by antymattar »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 12:25:35 pm »

It would be interesting to see something like oil on top of salt water on top of fresh water. I mean, at least the salt and fresh water layers would be most relevant in caves. You can even see a sample of it existing when cave diving or an episode of Planet Earth. It looks like an air pocket in an underwater cave system, but actually is one type of water settled atop another type of water. The density difference gives off the surface effect, refraction/reflection and all.

See for yourself

They're called haloclines.

EDIT:
Turned out to be opposite of what I thought, salt water is denser than fresh water. So saltwater > fresh water > oil.

EDIT EDIT:
Actually, this water mechanic can actually justify desalination plants alot easier if there's any salty residue. It won't render the water undrinkable, but a portion of the cistern (if running low) will be undrinkable if not dumped regularly to filter out the saltwater buildup. Salt crystals can form if the filter is not checked/dumped regularly. Can also double as a salt farm/factory for industry trade (or cooking ingredients). All you need to do to farm salt is evaporate the saltwater, and collect it like sand. Certain deserts can already have salt caked on top of the sand readily available to farm. Albeit in limited amounts and quality.

Salt, after all, has been a valuable trade good for ages.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:41:42 pm by Itnetlolor »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:14:51 pm »

Wow. Deep.  :P

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 02:23:27 pm »

How would your system handle the exit of heat(miasma and smoke) in a insoluble mixture of two solubles? 

The examples supplied explain for no state changes.  However some mixtures lose heat rapidly or slowly, and cease to remain fluids.  What happens when two or more mixtures produce pressure in a confined space of say 4x4 with an exit of 1 wooden door?  How do we compensate for the inevitable rifle barrel effect of the tunnel and the bullet, or dwarf, furniture, or ammo as the pressure is alleviated?  I'd love to fire dwarfs up z levels, to save them time using stairs.  Need to go up to surface from a deep mine?
"Okay, stand on this hatch, and pull that lever."  ***Kaboom***  12 levels traveled in a split second.  Or absorbing heat right out of a dwarf's body.  Hows that formula going to be calculated?   Oh the madness of figuring out medieval clothing warmth values!  OMG!  Now not only frozen dwarfs but crystallized dwarfs, a flavor bursting assortment of them.  Crystallized machinery.  Oh the horror.

I'm all for adding information to the game that clears up what is currently going on, but adding more formulas that complicate the existing game, while still leaving what is presently going on in its hidden and mysterious state, is not something I would raise my thumb for.  At this early stage of game design, I have to put my thumb down on adding a new fluid. 

Now for adding miasma concentrations and smoke concentrations, that's something I could jump behind, lock stock and barrel.  Adding a way to include miasma and smoke in traps, and equip defenses to use them strategically, would interest me a lot.  I would love to be able to can miasma and toss it, using the thrown skill.  That would put a four region wide smile on my fortress's defender's face.

High miasma, could lower melee defenses.
High smoke, could lower ranged defenses.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »

If you have multiple mixtures in one tile and one of them loses heat so much that it becomes solid, then this happens

Visualize the tile as seven layers rather than one place with x amount of this and y of that. Lets imagine that we have 3 units/layers of water under 4 units of some kind of oil. The water loses its heat faster than the oil and its in the bottom. This means that it freezes. This instantly means that you have a part of the layers that are frozen and a part that  is not. And thats how it should be. If this can be achieved then we have partially solved the problem of walking on partial liquids and yet drowning(The walking part at least). If you wash away the oil at the top then you end up with 3 units of frozen water. Its a liquid, yet it acts partially as a slope(If its 3/4/5 units then it can be used as a slope), it doesn't flow yet because its frozen, and it can be walked on.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 04:44:27 pm »

Tiles can't have layers, they are tiles not tiles within tiles.

WTF?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 08:37:23 pm »

WTF?

I believe the OP is correlating DF's 'show liquid depth' option of liquids to solids for the purpose of regions composed of mixtures of liquids and solids both together instead of separately.  Like a pond, with ice floating on it.  A region with 2/7 sand and -5/7 quicksand.  Or a tar pit.  That's how I see it.  That'd be a very cool feature to see in this game, but it would have to be of itself simplified and directly related to the biome's parameters and not a component of compound chemistry.  If it were based on compound chemistry, it could be insanely complex to code.  Although it would be nice to see oil layers mixed in with the caverns during worldgen, as a repercussion of a Jurassic prehistory.  Maybe even find some real bone piles now and again too, or just those in the tar pits to knock the bone craftsdwarfs off their rocker and disadvantage other civies.  I could enjoy something like that, and heck it might already exist, I haven't conducted any shark dentistry to know if it does or doesn't.  It would stand to reason if caves existed that were lairs, that there would and should be bone layers, that when mined, produce bone, and not rock.  Or just had bone piles, for what its worth.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 08:54:49 am »

WTF?

I believe the OP is correlating DF's 'show liquid depth' option of liquids to solids for the purpose of regions composed of mixtures of liquids and solids both together instead of separately.  Like a pond, with ice floating on it.  A region with 2/7 sand and -5/7 quicksand.  Or a tar pit.  That's how I see it.  That'd be a very cool feature to see in this game, but it would have to be of itself simplified and directly related to the biome's parameters and not a component of compound chemistry. Knutor

yup.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 11:58:01 am »

The issue with that is that then we have, effectively, a map that uses 8 squares for every square in the z-dimension, and therefore is seven times smaller than it could have been, as a result. Since programming is reductionistic and analytical, we'll have to settle for a smallest unit at a given point. The atom of DF, as it were. Until we get parallel quantum computers..
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5