Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Journal of Paddletheaters (my first ever terrifying game)  (Read 1795 times)

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Journal of Paddletheaters (my first ever terrifying game)
« on: November 13, 2011, 02:24:17 am »

Started it here as a result of a guy giving me an awesome world seed: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96331.0.
I thought it was appropriate to move the thread over here to stories. Feel free to give comments, suggestions, tips, and ideas.

This is a brief overview of the world:

In the very center is the Virtuous Point (mirthful) surrounded by the truthful forest and the strangled forest (wild), which is then surrounded by The Morass of Leeches, the prairie of burying, The rancorous points, and the hungry barbs (all haunted). Then in the bottom right corner is The Point of Infecting surrounded by the Tundra of bile. In the bottom left: The ice of starvations and the bloated winter. In the top left: The point of eels and The withered jungle. In the top right: The scalded Towers and the Tragic Jungle. All four corners are terrifying. So its a cool layout with good in the center and getting more evil towards the corners.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Journal of Paddletheaters (my first ever terrifying game)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 02:25:22 am »

Starting point: The hellish forests; heavily forested, warm, terrifying, shallow clay, very deep soil, aquifer (which I will be turning off), deep metals, flux stone. Unfortunately no mountains.

Starting party: 2 woodcutter/axedwarves; 2 herbalist/axedwarves (I prefer surface crops, and this lets me start with less food on embark); 2 miner/masons; 1 grower/brewer; pair of breedable wars dogs.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 02:26:05 am »

1st granite of 164;

We have arrived at the location for "Paddletheaters" (Oh gods that sounds like a company that could host boatmurdered, premonition maybe?). It is a nasty place with dead and withered ground all around, yet still plenty of live trees and plants to be gathered, and numerous small pools of water that are hopefully safe to drink from.

It turns out that we are on a huge flatland that overlooks an ocean-side beach to the southeast. From my journey I know this to be a dangerous place so I command my dwarves to scurry for the beach and the semi-safety of the cliffs there. While the diggers start into the cliff sides, the others begin gathering up the copious amounts of driftwood to begin work on the walls that should keep us safe enough to build up our defenses.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:26:29 am »

2nd granite; We have the rooms dug into the hill and have a large stockpile of wood to plan our walls, so I decided to walk along the beach for a while to clear my head. While watching the fireflies dancing about I saw something that that made my heart sink into my stomach; off on the horizon was something I had hoped to never see. There wandering among the the decayed plants was a skeletal giant jaguar. I immediately rushed back to our base and ordered the walls to be top priority. Hopefully they will be done in time.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 02:27:06 am »

6th granite
The walls were nearing completion when suddenly horror of horrors an great fish of naught but bone hauled itself onto shore and began chasing my friends about! I was glad to have brought along woodcutters that were also skilled in the art of battle as Adil rushed the beast and severed its head with one swing from his trusty axe. It seems that even the very water must be walled off and guarded!

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 02:27:52 am »

20th granite
Both the inner and outer walls are fully completed now and the dwarves are starting to grumble about the crowed dorm, so we have started on the private rooms. With two skilled carpenters this should not take long. Afterwards we need to go looking for some stone. I am getting sick of all this damn fire clay everywhere. On a side note that damn skeletal jaguar is out there, but our walls should keep it out...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:32:25 am by flamewolf393 »

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 02:34:38 am »

24th granite
Armok give me patience. Feeling much safer my friends have decided to spend the last 4 days drinking themselves into a stupor. I have been left alone as the only one still trying to get this damn place into shape.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 02:39:11 am »

24th granite (night)
NO!! I awoke in the middle of the night to a terrible ruckus and dashed outside only to find that the skeletal jaguar had decided to charge our walls! I immediately ran to lock the gate, but alas it was too late for one of our beloved war dogs. This thing is huge, I dont know if we can handle this beast...

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 02:54:45 am »

25th granite (early)
That damn beast plopped himself right down in front of our gate and has not moved. We had to tear down a section of wall on the other side of the fort and make a new gate there to get out for the trees we so desperately need.

25th granite (afternoon)
It still hasnt moved an inch even though our woodcutters have been running around all day out there. Wonder what that thing is up to...

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 02:57:52 am »

28th granite
Its been three days now since the jaguar took up residence out there. The lads are getting tired of it and are talking about taking the risk of attacking it...

28th granite
Another one of those great bloody undead fish came at us again today! It apparently knows how to knock down our doors, though it didnt stand a chance against the jaguar. We managed to get another door back in place while they were fighting.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 03:01:07 am »

29th granite
Seems we were all worried for naught over the dead cat, which is now even deader thanks to our axes. Nary a scratch on our boys.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 03:12:45 am »

I'm glad to know the seed turned out so well for you.  :) Sorry I couldn't get it a little less haunted and a little more terrifying, but that's the savagery doing that. If you mess with that too much you get endless rejects.

I'm greatly enjoying the updates.  :D This is turning out epically. lol
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 03:27:10 am »

11th slate
We discovered that our land has a huge aquifer, so mining has been going slow, but we've managed find a dry shaft we can mine out to get under it and have spent the last few weeks mining out some lovely blue stone to put in our bedrooms. Also, we mined out the ceilings of the bedrooms and replaced them with glass so to offset any cave adaptation we might otherwise face in the future.

Our food is starting to look a little low, we should look into getting a farm going. Despite the decay of the landscape, there seems to be plenty of wonderful berries around we can use to start up.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 03:34:14 am »

16th slate

Spotted another giant jaguar today, though this one still seems to have some rotting flesh on it. Have to keep a closer eye on it this time.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 03:49:00 am »

26th slate

Finally realized that our resident brewer is not skilled enough to salvage the seeds of the local plants when he brews them. Will have to start making extra so he can improve, and quickly so we can get those seeds to plant.
Pages: [1] 2