Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So, should I use this thing...?  (Read 1339 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
So, should I use this thing...?
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:33:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know maces are supposed to be essentially weaker versions of hammers in the current version. OTOH, this is a mooded *lead* mace, so I suspect it's pretty good. Is it worth making a macedwarf squad so the leader can waltz around with this thing?

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
Re: So, should I use this thing...?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:43:46 am »

Use it. things will happen. colorful things
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:45:48 am »

Definitely use it! A picture of the God of Mountains, and a mountain!
The great Adil shall thrill with victory as a brave champion caves in goblin/elven/human skulls left and right!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:09:34 am »

Goddess of Caves and Mountains.  There is a mountain on the mace, and the caves are represented using the skulls of your enemies!

Maces and hammer do the same base damage, but hammers have smaller contact area so they do better against (metal) armored targets.  When fighting kobolds (if you have any), goblins and anyone or anything lacking armoring this artifact will rain pain and agony down onto your foes, and bring glory to your moutainhome!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 03:53:12 am »

maces seem to break bones more often while hammers seem to knock down more often.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 03:54:50 am »

As far as I know, you can just make the squad leader use the mace. I may be wrong, but everyone in squad may have different weapon. Anyone confirm?
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:06:13 am »

Yes, a squad can have different weapons in it.  Either use individual choice if you are lazy/don't care what they use, or assign types by squad member.  I usually give a squad metal armor, then assign what weapons I want to each member.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 04:07:11 am »

Yes, specific weapons can be assigned to individual dwarves. Having different types of weapon within a squad isn't advisible though, as they will waste time teaching each other how to use their particular weapon.

edit:ninja'd

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 08:33:51 am »

Yes. Nothing is too stupid to do! Like I said once, there are no bad ideas, just ones that...

*reads OP*

...Yeah, it should be a great weapon.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 08:38:21 am »

Yes, specific weapons can be assigned to individual dwarves. Having different types of weapon within a squad isn't advisible though, as they will waste time teaching each other how to use their particular weapon.

Oops!

I've been doing this routinely, as I figured a mix of weapons would give a good offensive punch to a squad - some edged, some blunt, good against everything...   The training aspect hadn't occurred to me - no wonder I never seem to get highly trained military guys...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 11:17:28 am »

Yes, this is why I was asking whether it was worth making a squad of macedorfs rather than simply giving one of my hammerdwarf leaders the weapon.

If they're nearly as effective as hammers, though, I may do it just for the badassery value of having a dwarf wield the mace.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 08:41:50 pm »

The name caught me too - squad commander wielding the grooved balls...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 12:56:17 am »

A lead mace? That's pretty damned scary. If you have a dwarf with some skill in macedwarfery, I would make him a militia captain and give it to him.

The other option is sticking it in a weapon trap and letting is smear goblins on the walls by itself.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 01:10:08 am »

Give it to the militia commander, and assign the ex-squad commanders from other squads to his squad after they train their own skills high enough. Now you have a Squad of Doom that can annihilate anything it touches.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 09:44:40 am »

a dwarfs last sights
Pages: [1] 2