Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large, Serrated Glass Disks?  (Read 1062 times)

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
Large, Serrated Glass Disks?
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:02:17 am »

I just realized these can be made from glass.  It's definitely an amusing thought, but is such a material a good choice?
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Large, Serrated Glass Disks?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:12:55 am »

Yes,

Put ten in a trap and it will kill just about anything passing through it. It won't damage the armor but Goblins hardly ever wear full armor and when they encounter glass traps they lose all their limbs
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 03:27:03 am »

they'll do so against metal discs too, and those will actually take care of other enemies too
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 04:13:23 am »

Glass disks are just as good as metal at shredding exposed flesh but struggle with armour and sometimes large bones. This is a good thing for a main killing zone: Crippled and dying invaders don't clog traps like instantly killed ones do.

Metal disks are more appropriate as failsaves: "if an invader even makes it here, I want it dead. The area should usually be safe so a maintenance-heavy trap is acceptable".

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 04:15:01 am »

good idea. After all, i want my invaders to actually get past the entrance, otherwise too many manage to run away
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:41:01 am »

Good stuff to think on.  I think I'kk have the much-easier-to-make glass discs up front and possibly one or two steel ones near the back, as a failsafe.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 05:55:18 am »

This is the reason why I like Sand embarks. You have got to love a Titan or FB (most wont die due to their bodies but still it is a backup) dieing due to exposure to numerous traps. That said glass traps are capable of being mass produced at initial levels that would help conserve any iron ores since traps can be continously produce in tandem with smithing and would be a good investment if you have access to magma or lots of trees. If you can't produced enough to offset the quiality difference against armour then you would die in a horrible way when your traps prove ineffective. But in the meantime it has the potential to be a good initial defence when you are begiining to build a militia since you can whittle enemy numbers effectively
Love Boat murder

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 06:59:16 am »

for my final defence layer i usually mix in about 1/3rd (3 or 4) spiked balls, to break bones and shatter skulls, if the armor proves too tough

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 12:11:56 pm »

You have got to love a Titan or FB (most wont die due to their bodies but still it is a backup) dieing due to exposure to numerous traps.
Titans and forgotten beasts are immune to traps - only megabeasts (dragons, hydras, bronze colossuses) and semimegabeasts (giants, cyclopses, minotaurs, ettins) are vulnerable (aside from normal invaders, of course).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:21:21 pm »

Glass weapon traps used to be variable quality because the numbers for weight and edge hadn't been established. Once those were fixed, glass traps became a very attractive option for areas without good metals for weaponry-- they hold an edge fairly well, and are heavy enough to make decent spikes, too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 07:44:28 pm »

I love glass traps. If not for the !!FUN!!, but for the satisfaction that I allow Goblins to see their insides, if for a few, brief seconds.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 09:40:33 pm »

You have got to love a Titan or FB (most wont die due to their bodies but still it is a backup) dieing due to exposure to numerous traps.
Titans and forgotten beasts are immune to traps - only megabeasts (dragons, hydras, bronze colossuses) and semimegabeasts (giants, cyclopses, minotaurs, ettins) are vulnerable (aside from normal invaders, of course).

Traps by my definition includes the manual type like civilian pressure plates in a dining hall linked to multiple atom smashers or a 5 20z retracted bridges drop in a very long trap hall. Fps gets shot to hell though. Still working on automated water pressure plates.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:42:58 pm by evillevi »
Love Boat murder