Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Screenshot of a good uniform setup?  (Read 1113 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Screenshot of a good uniform setup?
« on: November 12, 2011, 01:30:29 pm »

Hi folks- I've tried to make some of the elaborate armor uniform setups I've read about here (eg, multiple mail shirts) but I've never been able to get my dwarfs to put on anything complicated. If I do any kind of layering, they end up putzing around the stockpiles trying to decide what to put on.  Could some kind soul with a successful uniform layout post a screenshot of their uniform screen so we can see exactly what the order and choices are? Thanks for any help!

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshot of a good uniform setup?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:39:41 pm »

I haven't played around with multiple layers for my military dwarves (not beyond chain + breastplate), but I can say one of the most essential things is to set "replace clothing" for the squads you give it to.

They can't wear three chain shirts if they're wearing a regular shirt underneath, it won't all fit.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:54:41 pm »

I haven't played around with multiple layers for my military dwarves (not beyond chain + breastplate), but I can say one of the most essential things is to set "replace clothing" for the squads you give it to.

They can't wear three chain shirts if they're wearing a regular shirt underneath, it won't all fit.

^^This

I had some dwarves that would wander around the stockpiles aimlessly claiming they were picking up their equipment.  Did that for like 3 game months.  I told them to replace their clothing and presto, all fixed.

From what I understand, there used to be bugs with the order in which you specified layers, but I think that's been fixed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 02:06:25 pm »

-indv choice melee weapon
- metal helmet
-metal breastplate
-metal mailshirt
-copper shield
-metal high boots
-metal greaves
-metal leggings
-metal gauntlets

this works well enough. You can even remove leggings without trouble if you wish
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:09:00 pm by dwarfhoplite »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 02:19:09 pm »

I'd probably add a leather cloak to that too.

Slovak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:21:51 pm »

Why a copper shield?

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 02:22:34 pm »

Thanks dwarfhoplite - your username is very appropriate!

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 02:41:11 pm »

- metal helmet
-metal breastplate
-metal mailshirt
-copper shield
-metal high boots
-metal greaves
-metal leggings
-metal gauntlets

this works well enough. You can even remove leggings without trouble if you wish

Aren't legging and greaves mutually exclusive?  I'm pretty sure dwarves can't wear both at the same time, so this setup would cause them to keep flipping back and forth all the time.

I'd also suggest adding at least one leather cloak to this setup as even a full head-to-toe metal armor setup has a few coverage holes (like the throat area if I remember correctly) that Elite Goblin Archers *love* to shoot arrows through.

Also note that you can't specify "metal" when making custom uniforms as the option is only there on the pre-made "Metal Armor" template.  If you're doing it yourself you'll need to choose a specific material like "Steel" and select "Partial matches" rather than "Exact matches" so the dwarves will try to get the closest thing to Steel they can, but will substitute with a lesser metal if steel isn't available.

Also: be sure to choose the Replace Clothing option, otherwise your dwarves will try to put on your uniform in addition to whatever random civilian clothing they were wearing, and frequently this results in shape/size conflicts that cause them to go into loops taking things on and off trying to get it all to fit.

I'll see if I can take a screenshot of my usual custom armor setup and post it in a bit.

--nomad_delta

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 02:34:01 am »

- metal helmet
-metal breastplate
-metal mailshirt
-copper shield
-metal high boots
-metal greaves
-metal leggings
-metal gauntlets

Aren't legging and greaves mutually exclusive?
Yes.

I'd also suggest adding at least one leather cloak to this setup as even a full head-to-toe metal armor setup has a few coverage holes (like the throat area if I remember correctly) that Elite Goblin Archers *love* to shoot arrows through.
I'd second this recommendation.

Also note that you can't specify "metal" when making custom uniforms as the option is only there on the pre-made "Metal Armor" template.
Yes you most certainly CAN. Verified this just now on my custom uniforms. You cannot, however, specify 'metal' for weapons, only armors. For weapons, you have to choose a specific type. Screenshot for proof here. I use this all the time, and knew you could do this.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 06:56:29 am »

Nameless Archon, it looks like you have over clothing set. Does that cause any problems for you?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 10:14:38 am »

With that setup, over clothing will occasionally cause problems, but not for most dwarves. I've had two in my fortress wearing too much civilian clothing to wear both a chain shirt and a breastplate, but that's unusual. A cloak over the top will almost always fit together with armor and clothing, since it's top layer and has a pretty large permit.

Whether and how often you have problems might depend on your civilization, because, while clothing varies from dwarf to dwarf, the types available are civilization dependent to some degree, so your civilians may wear more or less problematic clothing than the average.

It's when you do things like 3x chain + breastplate + 6x cloak that you absolutely have to set "replace clothing".

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:35:55 pm »

Nameless Archon, it looks like you have over clothing set. Does that cause any problems for you?
I haven't had any yet, but if it causes me a problem, it's a matter of moments to change it to replace. I haven't had dwarves yet that were "equipment swapping" in a loop. I assume it's because they wear it over clothing when that's possible (shirt under mail shirt and breastplate) and replace clothing only when they must (assigned high boots worn over socks vs. embark shoes worn over socks).

I've danger-roomed dwarves and seen them take hits in their high boots, so I know they're wearing them when assigned. Whether this manifests as high boots over shoes or high boots replacing shoes is not of concern to me. I'm not shooting for "maximum armor", I'm just aiming to get coverage. YMMV, of course.

It's when you do things like 3x chain + breastplate + 6x cloak that you absolutely have to set "replace clothing".
I suspect this is why I haven't had a problem. I'm not trying to get main battle tanks, just armored dwarves.