Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

?

?
?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52

Author Topic: You are Flesh golem INSTANT DEATH ENDGAME.  (Read 48938 times)

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
Re: You are Flesh golem
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2011, 06:04:18 pm »

While the golem Who should really get a name because the narrator is getting sick of calling it "the Golem" or "the flesh golem", puts on it's new snazzy equipment Dothki goes to have a chat with Arven.

"What are you going to do to me you psychopath. Feed me to your dogs?" Arven manages to say this with an admiribly fearless sneer.

"No. Actually I'm going to cast a spell on you which will aloow me to cut out your heart, and remove your brain without you dying, so I can turn use these organs to chain your soul to a mysic rune Which will be used to allow my golem to use a single magic spell, without draining it's necrmatic power." Dothki manages to say this with a pleasant friendly smile.
"Hmm the problem is I haven't figured out which spell to use. With your intellect (Medium) and magic ability (none) I should only be able to use any low level spell, It would have been better if your smarter but at least you were better than those idiots you brought with you. They would have been next to useless. I'll do the ritual at dusk, so look forward to it you hear?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:11:27 pm by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »

> very weak but precise telekinesis.

For things like manoeuvring a tiny needle to small to spot across a room and prick someone, or picking a lock if we also acquire the knowledge of what parts to move how (which would also allow us to pick it with a normal lockpick), or pull a blood vessel together if we know it's location preventing the flow, or dragging a small object (most things called "small objects" like a key or document or coin would likely be to heavy to actually lift, but dragging along the floor might work) our underneath a door, etc.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2011, 07:52:02 pm »

Noise/Muffle (For sneaking, and because it would be useful to be able to speak.)
{Because I made these up on the spot, parts can be changed for balance reasons}

These spells can persist for up to 5 minutes if prepared for twice that time immediately beforehand with moderate concentration, or they can be maintained with constant minor concentration. If they are prepared they can be placed on a location or an object.

Noise:
Creates a noise up to 5 meters from the caster. Noises loud enough to cause pain and precise sounds (like mimicking a specific person's voice) take moderate concentration to maintain (or major concentration to prepare). The noise created cannot become loud enough to cause physical damage to people or objects. If the spell is prepared, it can move in predetermined ways (like footsteps running down a hallway) and can have a pre-determined message.

Muffle:
Creates an invisible barrier which sound cannot enter and/or leave (caster chooses) with a radius of up to 3 meters, with a center up to 5 meters away from the caster. This does not hinder verbal components of spellcasting, as the sound is still being produced, but is simply being prevented from traveling. Extremely loud noises can pass through the barrier but are quieted considerably.

[edit:]
For clarification on what I mean by minor-major concentration:
minor concentration - You can do other actions at the same time, but being surprised or needing to focus on another task will break your concentration.
moderate concentration - You can perform simple actions at the same time, but you cannot pay much attention to them without breaking concentration.
major concentration - Doing other actions that require any thought will break concentration.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:11:12 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2011, 08:20:20 pm »

These spells are pretty under powered. To put this in perspective, Mage hand a level 0 spell cand still lift 5 pounds of weight, the 2nd level spell darkness covers twenty feet. Also since all verbal and material parts of the are replace by the rituall dothki is doing so you don't have to worry about casting these spells. The whole non-fatal thing is simply stop you from having a fireball machine gun remove any threat from combat.

Oh and armok? I'm not letting you kill people by bursting brain vessels in their brain. Or their hearts.

for further refrence http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Sorcerer/Wizard_Spell_List Boom wizard spell list. For the unoriginal.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2011, 08:47:27 pm »

What if my spells were modified to affect any single non-touch sense at a time per instance of the spell? (So they could create or stop sound, or light, or scent, though effecting more than one of them would take two spells.)

Yeah, I had figured that the blood thing was too cheap. Not allowing it makes sense from a world-building perspecive as well, as creatures without some resistance to direct magic use would die out rather quickly to magical creatures.

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2011, 09:07:38 pm »

How about Daze?  That could be useful for our sneaky golem strategy.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2011, 09:35:43 pm »

If you choose a 1st level spell you get a bonus 0 level spell. As long as they're related, Ilusion - illusion fire magic - fire magic
And i wouldn't bother with combat spells, your already a monster in a fight. This'll be the only magic enhancment for a while so make it count. Think about long term.

and as a spoiler (contain plot spoil)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I think I've given enough hints now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:03:14 pm by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2011, 10:14:14 pm »

Illusions and silence are useful for sneaking (as is not having a scent, as you quickly find out when trying to escape a dragon).
If we have power left to spare, I think we should improve reliability rather than raw power.
We could do this by adding the ability to conceal or produce magical auras (the things seen with detect/read magic) as one of the modes, and to have all of the modes be self-hiding (hard to detect with magic detection) and resistant to anti-illusion effects. 

(Reliability is better than it might seem. I know from DnD that many seemingly powerful spells like invisibility are dodgy at best when most serious enemies can see straight through them.)

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2011, 12:13:21 am »

Every zig is your spell mind based like hypnosis or haullecenation or area of effect like a hologram. If it's a hallucenation you can manipulate all the sense other then touch, but if it's area of effect you only get to manipulate sight and sound, other then that we have very weak telekinises and daze. any agreement on which we want?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2011, 12:43:21 am »

specifics of effect types:
- Create image would work like a three dimensional hologram. That would make it somewhat harder to work with (especially its inability to selectively hide things without covering them with something), but it would make it work on multiple targets and avoid the need to get through any mental defenses the target might have (defenses they might have if they were, say, an a hunter of evil wizards).

- Hide image would work like a mirage or http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/invisibility-cloak-mirage/ by bending light. This is similar to making the area invisible, but has the disadvantage of creating a visible blur (which gets more noticeable when covering large areas and when seen up close) and the advantage of not being seen through when detected (if it is detected they will know something is hidden, but they won't be able to see what without without additional magic).

- Create noise would be fairly self-explanatory. The spell produces noises like a speaker.

- Hide sound would work by creating an invisible barrier that slows and smooths movement of air in and/or out of it, functioning sort of like hide image except with sound.

The general idea is to use magically driven physical effects rather than directly magical ones, to make the spells easier to conceal from detection and to make them more difficult to counter once detected.
Direct mental effects are easy and quick when they work, but most of the beings you really want to hide from have equally formidable mental protection.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2011, 01:04:46 am »

Or how about a magical version of a flashbang? A intense burst of light and sound to stun and blind our opponents would be handy.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13:21 am »

Or how about a magical version of a flashbang? A intense burst of light and sound to stun and blind our opponents would be handy.
They actually have a spell for that: Color Spray (much more powerful than the name sounds like). It is a first level spell, so you could also get another low level spell along with that.

Still, it shares the same problem with mental effects of being very effective against weak enemies but very ineffective against strong enemies.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2011, 02:26:21 am »

So Zig what you want is a single spell which creates three different spell effects? ??? Not that there isn't precedent but is it something for the second level. And if I write in shit you can't hide from it's because i want you to fight it. If you can't hide or fight i want you to run And if you're really Backed into a corner I want you to DIE.
You can get one (realtively) powerful effect or two less powerful effects, thats all. assume that whatever spell you pick if going to come in handy and screw you over. For example if there a debate over you should get summon mount and you choose something else I'm gonna make sure you get put in a situation where summon mount is next to neccesary, that way you get to bitch over your horrible horrible decision. But really I'm the horrible one. Like Does anyone know what would have happened if you killed the girl without checking for magic items? no? well I DO. I'll also write in situations that you can use whatever you pick. The whole write for and from your players Is what makes it fun for me. The thing is if you give a offensive spell i'll get bored 'cos it's like "oh the Unstopable killing machine got an extra knife. WOOOOOOW now our deaths will become slighty quicker." It's like strapping a handgun to a tank is what i'm saying. It's why I was against the laser eye thing.

Oh and if it were me I'd go for something that would allow for movement. No hint there but if your in a dungeon and need a ten foot pole to get ove an eight foot pit and you don't have one... (this particular example won't happen. Promise)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:31:09 am by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2011, 06:55:10 am »

How good are we at climbing naturally? the ability to walk on floors and ceilings might be useful.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2011, 07:18:23 am »

How good are we at climbing naturally? the ability to walk on floors and ceilings might be useful.
we can't walk on walls and ceiling but being immensly strong and incredbly flexible we can climb anything that isn't a perfectly flat surface. if it's soething soft like oak or hard packed dirt we can just punch hand hole. We may not have magic wizard climbing abilties but we do have surenatural nijna climbing abilities. Of course It would be even easier with mountaineering pitons or rope. And being noon there's still time til dusk. If you want to go shopping again.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52