Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Megabeast pecking order  (Read 4176 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Megabeast pecking order
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 04:15:20 am »

Just gonna say up front that I don't really give semi-megas a second glance anymore. Sometimes a giant might catch you with your pants down and wreak some havoc, but otherwise they're kinda pussies. And yeah I've never seen a minotaur show up with gear of its own. Looking at the raws it would probably be significantly more dangerous if it did.

Uh, has anyone ever had trouble with a roc? I can't think of a single roc that has caused me a problem outside of snatching up an isolated hunter or the like. Even in adventure mode I kill them 100% of the time, and I suck at adventure mode. Hydras are more of a wildcard to me though - sometimes they're a moving lawn mower and sometimes they get murdered without much resistance. Quality cutting implements seem to be the deciding factor here. Dragons and Colossi are definitely tied for first no matter how I think about it. BCs tend to elicit more of a *gasp* out of me and are harder to physically destroy, but as someone said above that dragonfire can make short work of an unprepared military.

This is all, of course, highly unscientific opinion.

They would be dangerous if all they did was hunt stragglers, but it seems they're just as happy to fly towards your massive bunker complex.
And get shot down.
And fall in a pit.
Full of pointy spears.

And semi-megabeasts were prolly just put there so noobs learn slowly what titans and what - not are, which levels the DF learning curve *a bit*.
Plus, they kill anyone who got greedy when making their fort :P

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 11:32:59 am »

No question that BC is the strongest. Being made out of a nonorganic substance makes it hard to deal with it beyond crushing it.
Dragons dont fair well vs. large beasts such as 'phants, because dragonfire is
potent as it melts stuff. If it simply shears off the outer layer, it is a wasted attack. Hydras are special as they have some resitance to fire due to there size, and there seven heads makes it hard to deal with for singualer fighters.
I have seen that Rocs are the weakest of the "true" megabeasts, because they realy have nothing going for them besides there flight and there size. Heck, it seems to me that there entire gimmick is that they can breed!

The semimegabeasts can best be sumed up as
Giant
Minotaur ( with gear.)
Etten
Minotaur ( just there natural stuff.)
Cyclops

The reason ettens are not higher is because a giant can simply whale on them and break them in horrable ways. A armored minotaur, on the other hand, can rampage thru your fort like a bull in a china shop.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 11:43:40 am »

No question that BC is the strongest. Being made out of a nonorganic substance makes it hard to deal with it beyond crushing it.
Dragons dont fair well vs. large beasts such as 'phants, because dragonfire is
potent as it melts stuff. If it simply shears off the outer layer, it is a wasted attack. Hydras are special as they have some resitance to fire due to there size, and there seven heads makes it hard to deal with for singualer fighters.
I have seen that Rocs are the weakest of the "true" megabeasts, because they realy have nothing going for them besides there flight and there size. Heck, it seems to me that there entire gimmick is that they can breed!

The semimegabeasts can best be sumed up as
Giant
Minotaur ( with gear.)
Etten
Minotaur ( just there natural stuff.)
Cyclops

The reason ettens are not higher is because a giant can simply whale on them and break them in horrable ways. A armored minotaur, on the other hand, can rampage thru your fort like a bull in a china shop.
1. BC can be defeated by dragons.
2. Hammers are useless against BC, use battle axes and other choppy weapons.
3. Dragons don't need to breath fire to kill, shields fair the worse of the fire. Doesn't mean it still can't bite you in half though.
4. Hydra's are cool.
5. Roc's can be fort - enders or simple amusement. Depends on the time they attack, but are usually easily dispatched.
6. Hydra, Dragons and pretty much every semi-megabeast can also breed.
7. Minatour don't come to fortresses in DF armed and armoured :(
8. Ettin get destroyed by pretty much everyone.
9. Bulls in china shops actually avoid the glass as much as possible. (mythbusters lol)

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 09:28:19 am »

The one BC I fought in adentuerer mode took like an hour to kill with carefully placed hits. I used a spear but eventually got out an axe i couldnt use that well.

it had like 8 legs and 4 arms, and i kept going till it was down to 3 limbs and it was alive still! i eventually got a lop on its head after a lot of patience and hits. then again i was using a copper spear most of the time, hit its head a lot too.

as for minotaurs, the one I faced in adventurer mode got me because he was armed with a pickaxe. stabbed my arm and it flew off >.> I didnt last long.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 10:37:30 am »

Diamond FB's with shells. They are close to the top. I hate them so much
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 01:50:16 pm »

Vomit blobs, ALL my army was down in the caves searching chasing a vomit blob, and a Vile Force of Fun arrives. >:(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 03:16:34 pm »

The one BC I fought in adentuerer mode took like an hour to kill with carefully placed hits. I used a spear but eventually got out an axe i couldnt use that well.

it had like 8 legs and 4 arms, and i kept going till it was down to 3 limbs and it was alive still! i eventually got a lop on its head after a lot of patience and hits. then again i was using a copper spear most of the time, hit its head a lot too.

as for minotaurs, the one I faced in adventurer mode got me because he was armed with a pickaxe. stabbed my arm and it flew off >.> I didnt last long.

BC's aren't randomly generated, you must mean a FB or Titan

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 06:53:56 pm »

BC's aren't randomly generated, you must mean a FB or Titan

Definitely, because I'm pretty sure it's basically impossible to injure a BC at all with a copper weapon.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 07:51:49 pm »

lots of dents, it eventually lost some limbs. i control alt deleted a lot cause i wanted the killing hit and if i took too many guys they would surround it and i wouldnt get my hit in =(

though afterwards i was skilled with an axe! (or was it sword?)

one time RIGHT after killing it with the final blow a vulture attacked and killed me. I raged and control alt delete. surviving enough quests to get to titan beast killing is hard

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 11:01:04 pm »

Even if a minitor comes to your fort without a weapon, your forgeting about its horns>_>. And i swear that i had one come with an axe once.
Also, one guy had a dwarf with an artifact platniume battleaxe chop a BC in half. Yes. HALF. Not the head. The lower body. :D Gota love platnium.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 12:56:08 am »

Bronze colossi, simply because they are inorganic and therefore have to be destroyed completely, I would put at the top of the list.
Everything else isn't that bad if you have spears and axes.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 03:32:01 am »

BC are toughest. might as well call them a living battering ram.
Dragons... never seen one.
Hydra. OH SWEET LORD ITS GOT MY LEG!! URIST HELP!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! *bits of dwarf flying around* Hydra have a nasty habit of biting down on things and shaking them. they are horrifying. at least to me. not as bad as BC, but still. my first good fort fell to a hydra. several months to build, and only 25 minutes to take it all apart again.
giants and minotaurs are pretty easy. had a minotaur taken out before it could even reach my fort by a hunter. lucky shot. the giants ive seen were easily taken down by my military/traps. as for ettin and roc, ive never seen them. titans are a wild card. it could be a godly badass spider made entirely of something solid like (as was said somewhere earlier) diamonds and spit acid, or it could be a shitty critter... like a humanoid made of raw hamburger with no arms. goes the same with FBs. I had am FB that was a huge feathered snail with wings and poison blood... the thing died the moment it entered the map.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 01:55:24 pm »

Bronze colossi, simply because they are inorganic and therefore have to be destroyed completely, I would put at the top of the list.
Everything else isn't that bad if you have spears and axes.

I FOUND THEIR WEAKNESS! THEY CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THEIR HEADS!

^

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 01:57:33 pm »

BC are toughest. might as well call them a living battering ram.
Dragons... never seen one.
Hydra. OH SWEET LORD ITS GOT MY LEG!! URIST HELP!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! *bits of dwarf flying around* Hydra have a nasty habit of biting down on things and shaking them. they are horrifying. at least to me. not as bad as BC, but still. my first good fort fell to a hydra. several months to build, and only 25 minutes to take it all apart again.
giants and minotaurs are pretty easy. had a minotaur taken out before it could even reach my fort by a hunter. lucky shot. the giants ive seen were easily taken down by my military/traps. as for ettin and roc, ive never seen them. titans are a wild card. it could be a godly badass spider made entirely of something solid like (as was said somewhere earlier) diamonds and spit acid, or it could be a shitty critter... like a humanoid made of raw hamburger with no arms. goes the same with FBs. I had am FB that was a huge feathered snail with wings and poison blood... the thing died the moment it entered the map.

I've had a plains titan made of CHEESE. It spewed a vaporous extract that caused all dwarves caught within the cloud to blister, swell then rot. No dwarves died (5 medical dwarves in an awesome hospital), but I did acquire a new squad of blind fortress guardwarves.
Pages: 1 [2]