Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megabeast pecking order  (Read 4174 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeast pecking order
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:31:45 am »

From biggest to smallest threat? Thoughts?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast pecking order
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:47:31 am »

Minotaurs are fairly low on the list as they're easily capturable with a well placed trap. Unless you have no traps, they are very weak. Without traps, however, they become dangerous foes, able to beat your dwarves to death with their own socks.

Rocs would be quite low, I think, as if they are shot and fall from the sky they will suffer serious injury.

Dragons are easily dealt with if captured. Without traps they are formidable foes. Dragonfire is pretty much guaranteed death to a dwarf without a shield.

Hydras are dangerous in that a headshot will not kill them. You need to hit them many, many times to kill them, though as they're organic they suffer pain.

Bronze colossi are hard as they do not feel pain.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 10:43:14 am »

Indeed if you have traps I guess they are all easy cause when it comes to enemies traps are (and I mean no disrespect with the following to words) easy mode, particularly cage traps.  However in a straight up fight I generally find dragons to be the hardest if you don't have proper equipment (basically shields) cause they will burn you up.

The others can all be taken down (well usually at least..) with a large enough military but if you don't have some shields ready to hide behind dragon fire can take out huge amounts of dwarves lickety split.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:50:03 am »

Indeed if you have traps I guess they are all easy cause when it comes to enemies traps are (and I mean no disrespect with the following to words) easy mode, particularly cage traps.  However in a straight up fight I generally find dragons to be the hardest if you don't have proper equipment (basically shields) cause they will burn you up.

The others can all be taken down (well usually at least..) with a large enough military but if you don't have some shields ready to hide behind dragon fire can take out huge amounts of dwarves lickety split.

You're forgetting that most large megabeasts are trap avoid >_>

And while yes, a cage trap makes a minatour useless, what's more fun then reclaiming only to find your 'guest' armed with your weapons slaughtering it's way towards you?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:14 pm »

Actually only forgotten beasts and demons are trapavoid, all normal megabeasts are not, thus the cage trap. My vote for easiest is giant, hardest is bronze collossus. Your military *sometimes* always gets them. Unless you only have hammers :(
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:53:41 pm »

Bronze colossi are probably the toughest.

Hydras are surprisingly tough. I rate them higher than dragons.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 04:17:52 pm »

Bronze colossi are probably the toughest.

Hydras are surprisingly tough. I rate them higher than dragons.

Addy battle axes deal with them incredibly easily, for me, it's the titans and fb's, but even the titans can usually be taken down by an early military.

Then again, I was using all 121 dwarves in my army *EPIC GLOAT*

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 04:36:57 pm »

I've had a cornered no-skill woodcutter decapitate a minotaur in one strike one one occasion, and in my experience a single champion (or a few decently skilled dwarves) can kill a giant or cyclops without much of a problem. Rocs are easy if you have marksdwarves to turn them into flying pincushions. Highly skilled marksdwarves can one-shot a roc with a bolt to the wing, as mentioned earlier. Never been attacked by a BC, dragon, or hydra, so I can't say much about them.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 04:39:47 pm »

I've had a cornered no-skill woodcutter decapitate a minotaur in one strike one one occasion, and in my experience a single champion (or a few decently skilled dwarves) can kill a giant or cyclops without much of a problem. Rocs are easy if you have marksdwarves to turn them into flying pincushions. Highly skilled marksdwarves can one-shot a roc with a bolt to the wing, as mentioned earlier. Never been attacked by a BC, dragon, or hydra, so I can't say much about them.

Usually because minatour's in DF come unarmed and unarmored.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 04:40:37 pm »

What about in adventure mode? Can they get stuff from their lairs?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 04:43:58 pm »

I've never seen an armed or armored minotaur, ever, in either mode.
Minotaurs have [HABIT:USE_ANY_MELEE_WEAPON:100] in their raws, but I've never seen one wield anything that it didn't take from someone on-site. They have high natural skill with every weapon, though, so if they manage to wrestle an axe out of your woodcutter's hand, you're in trouble.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 05:09:25 pm »

I've never seen an armed or armored minotaur, ever, in either mode.
Minotaurs have [HABIT:USE_ANY_MELEE_WEAPON:100] in their raws, but I've never seen one wield anything that it didn't take from someone on-site. They have high natural skill with every weapon, though, so if they manage to wrestle an axe out of your woodcutter's hand, you're in trouble.

I've had a minatour using my masterwork steel battle axe kill all of the humans I sent to investigate my lovely ruins £:

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:51 pm »

mintours are a death trap 1 v 1 as I found out as an adventurer once with really good stats. the things are huge.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 02:35:22 am »

Far as going against each other goes, the three classic megabeasts seem to have a sort of rock-paper-scissors deal going with each other in Arena Mode.

Unless crammed into a confined space, dragons will almost always melt Bronze Colossi shortly after they start fighting. Even if the Colossus manages to kill the Ddagon (which tends to only happen if they have a broken leg), they still usually melt from the dragonfire. So it's a Pyrrhic victory at best for the Colossus; usually though, ragons seem to come out on top. Hydras, on the other hand, fare extremely well against dragons, but are absolutely incapable of damaging Bronze Colossi and will eventually die. It takes a very long time though.

I'd say that the pecking order is something like:

Dragon-Hydra-Bronze Colossus
Roc
Ettin
Minotaur
Giant
Cyclops

The Cyclops doesn't really have anything to its credit beyond size while the Minotaur has several attacks and skill levels to work with. The Ettin comes out on top of the Minotaur thanks to that extra head preventing you from one-hitting it via a lucky decapitation/skull shattering. Giants just have size on the Cyclops.

In Adventure Mode, the Bronze Colossus comes out on top just because you can't wrestle it until it collapses from exhaustion and cheap-shot it to death like the rest.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 03:17:14 am »

Just gonna say up front that I don't really give semi-megas a second glance anymore. Sometimes a giant might catch you with your pants down and wreak some havoc, but otherwise they're kinda pussies. And yeah I've never seen a minotaur show up with gear of its own. Looking at the raws it would probably be significantly more dangerous if it did.

Uh, has anyone ever had trouble with a roc? I can't think of a single roc that has caused me a problem outside of snatching up an isolated hunter or the like. Even in adventure mode I kill them 100% of the time, and I suck at adventure mode. Hydras are more of a wildcard to me though - sometimes they're a moving lawn mower and sometimes they get murdered without much resistance. Quality cutting implements seem to be the deciding factor here. Dragons and Colossi are definitely tied for first no matter how I think about it. BCs tend to elicit more of a *gasp* out of me and are harder to physically destroy, but as someone said above that dragonfire can make short work of an unprepared military.

This is all, of course, highly unscientific opinion.

That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.
Pages: [1] 2