Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the elder scrolls "bosmer"=Dwarf Fortress elves!!!  (Read 5867 times)

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the elder scrolls "bosmer"=Dwarf Fortress elves!!!
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:15:41 am »

ok, so one of the races in "the elder scrolls" rpg series is a bosmer, or wood elf. now look at this:

The Bosmer, also called Wood Elf, inhabit the province of Valenwood. They are among the shortest races, and they are remarkable thieves and archers, due to their superior dexterity and agility, presumably because they spend their time living in trees. They are also religiously carnivorous and cannibalistic as a result of the Green Pact, a central portion of the Bosmer faith. The Green Pact is never explicitly shown, but in its simplest sets these rules down: Bosmer may only consume meat-based products and are forbidden to harm any plant for their own betterment. As a result of these stipulations, Bosmer are dependent on either stone or imported timber for construction purposes.

The Green Pact has also heavily impacted Bosmeri cuisine, combat, and weaponry. They have developed methods of fermenting meat and milk to develop powerful alcoholic beverages and weapons such as bows are often made of treated and shaped bones. Most notable about Bosmeri combat is their stipulation that a combatant must consume an enemy's corpse within a short time after killing them. This has led to changes in approaches to combat, such as fasting and planning family feasts following a battle.

sound familiar?
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

SebbyTheFreak

• Bay Watcher
  • Gold for the Gold God
    • View Profile
Re: the elder scrolls "bosmer"=Dwarf Fortress elves!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:17:51 am »

You haven't really thought this thing through did you?

First, I'll start by stating the obvious; Wood Elves are not really a very "original" thing. It's basically there in every fantasy worlds that haves fey folks in it.

Second, what you just described is basically the opposite of DF Elves.

What you say Bosmer are:
1-Superior Dex and Agi
2-Presumably living in trees
3-Highly carnivorous
4-Forbidden to harm plants
5-Can only use timber they traded for

Does these criterias applies to DF Elves?
1-Crappy soldiers and a dwarfen crossbowman will outshoot an elf
2-They do live in trees
3-Eat a whole friggin lot of fruits, tame the animals instead. (Their main export being exotic animals)
4-Make everything... EVERYTHING out of plants and wood.
5-Become angry at any other race cutting their precious trees, and declare war on civilisations that try to trade them wood.

So... the similitudes ends at :
-They're elves, they live in trees, they trade for stone.

HOLY SHIT IT'S THE EXACT SAME THING!

(On a side note... what? Fermenting milk into alcohol? There's not much sugar in there, what you get is cheese at best...)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:20:24 am by SebbyTheFreak »

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:20:15 am »

Yes- I also noticed that there are some similarities between bosmer and the DF elves.

Now, adding the wild hunt would be fun. :D

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Wild_Hunt

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:55:26 am »

So... the similitudes ends at :
-They're elves, they live in trees, they trade for stone.

And cannibalism. Don't forget the cannibalism.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:02:54 pm »

And the innate disrespect for anyone that doesn't practice their religion or worship nature properly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SebbyTheFreak

• Bay Watcher
  • Gold for the Gold God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:48:15 pm »

And the innate disrespect for anyone that doesn't practice their religion or worship nature properly.

Direspect for people who don't follow your faith is innerant to basically every faith, ever, regardless of being humans or a fantasy race, with a few notable exceptions if any.

I didin't know DF Elves ate other elves though.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:59:26 pm »

Hey I never noticed that, thanks for pointing it out. They are pretty darn similar, the cannibalism part especially.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 02:15:52 pm »

(On a side note... what? Fermenting milk into alcohol? There's not much sugar in there, what you get is cheese at best...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumis
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 02:21:04 pm »

I think people are just sorta taken aback by the whole cannibalism bit. It's slightly less integrated as the stereotype planty hippie forest elf idea.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 04:15:39 pm »

They eat anyone they kill (in worldgen history at least). Cacame's family (due to being elves in a dwarf civ) were killed and eaten by other elves.
Soaplent green is goblins!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:33:44 pm »

Direspect for people who don't follow your faith is innerant to basically every faith, ever, regardless of being humans or a fantasy race, with a few notable exceptions if any.

Canabalism in Df is basically eating a sentient being.
Elven civs can also have a male "princess".
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:52:32 pm »

Aye, elves will eat any sentient (or maybe everything?) they kill in combat, including demons. Altough rare, a badass elf will rise throughout the ages and if you check his legends mode fights, you'll see that elf eating almost every enemy he/she defeats and kills.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 01:01:44 am »

Now, adding the wild hunt would be fun.

Lets start with firbolgs, and go from there. :D
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 07:11:07 am »

Aye, elves will eat any sentient (or maybe everything?) they kill in combat, including demons. Altough rare, a badass elf will rise throughout the ages and if you check his legends mode fights, you'll see that elf eating almost every enemy he/she defeats and kills.
I recall the original reason they did this was because they, with their "nature's ethics", think that leaving any kill to rot is so horribly wasteful that they wont even consider doing so. Kinda like an extreme, honor bound version of the hunter's creed "you killed it, you eat it", or the philosophy "a life is a great thing to take, so respect its sacrifice".

There's also the theory that it's just a base impulse they couldn't stop if they tried; a side effect of eating all those strange herbs while trying to "commune with nature".
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 01:16:41 pm »

I recall the original reason they did this was because they, with their "nature's ethics", think that leaving any kill to rot is so horribly wasteful that they wont even consider doing so.

That was a reason players gave, I've never seen Toady give its version of why they did that. Feel free to prove me wrong.
Pages: [1] 2