Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: El Dorado  (Read 4821 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
El Dorado
« on: November 12, 2011, 03:03:18 am »

my Fort is now nearly 2 1/2 years old, the second human caravan has just arrived. Knowing that this is usually also the time of the first ambush, i was cautious.

Why do I call this place El Dorado? It is located on one of the richest veins of gold I have ever seen. The tetrahedrite we dig up next to it and the gems are hardly worth noticing. Everyone is deliriously happy, since we have a legendary chef cook serving us. One trader offered 8000 for one of his roasts.

It may have been this wealth that caused the goblins to rethink their tactics. Instead of sending raiders and an ambush or two first, they immediately laid siege. With a certain amount of dread we saw this happening, since our own forces were poorly equiped and barely trained.

No fear. the leader was riding a cave crocodile, which took him in a direct line through the swamp. Mere seconds after we first spotted them the attack ground to a halt as the leader drowned and none of them seems to know which direction to charge. Our own militia is not ready to deal with a squad of archers, so we're setting up a catapult for some target practice.

more later
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: El Dorado
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:08:45 am »

:D You should make some solid gold ziggurats.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:11:59 am »

i wish i could make gold armor, it would be so impressive or catapult balls made from gold - that must hurt

edit:
balista bolts seem to bruise only... what would be better, copper or silver balist arrow heads?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:23:55 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:04:51 am »

i wish i could make gold armor, it would be so impressive or catapult balls made from gold - that must hurt

edit:
balista bolts seem to bruise only... what would be better, copper or silver balist arrow heads?

I'm not sure there's much of a difference; copper has the better edge by a little but silver weighs more. Copper is probably overall better, and more "cost-effective".
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 06:36:53 am »

the green buggers have retreated! We are not entirely sure how or why, but the fact remains that they packed up and left. They really dont know what to do without leadership. The next challenge: Our digging seems to have breached an underground cave, seemingly deserted. The only result so far is some spiders invading the lower tunnels. Their webs are quite valuable, but the bite. One of the cats has been walking strange ever since

We will see what is to come. Still no sign of metals other than tetrahedrite and gold. Our mayor has had his bedroom, office and dining room furnished in the stuff and might live more luxurious than many human kings

More later (my diary :p )

(spelling edit)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:41:06 pm by Garath »

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:17:26 am »

I would never use silver for anything but warhammers and/or maces...
They are the best stuf for blunt weapons, so I do not see why I should use them for anything else.
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 09:29:19 am »

Because you can?

Also, when you have a shitton of it, why not use it?
I will never make thousands of silver weapons.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 09:55:38 am »

Reminds me of my current fort. Every dwarf has a 5 by 5 bedroom with 3 gold statues and a cabinet. The public dining room have so many statues, they're all legendary. Everyone is deliriously happy.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:10:36 am »

Our major has had his bedroom...

You mean mayor, right? Major is a military rank of an officer, something that can not be found in DF. Yet.

Yes, yes, "Hail!" you too.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:16:55 am »

edit:

I'm not sure there's much of a difference; copper has the better edge by a little but silver weighs more. Copper is probably overall better, and more "cost-effective".

Silver is bad for edged weapons, so I'd assume copper.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 11:12:20 am »

my Fort is now nearly 2 1/2 years old, the second human caravan has just arrived. Knowing that this is usually also the time of the first ambush, i was cautious.

Why do I call this place El Dorado? It is located on one of the richest veins of gold I have ever seen. The tetrahedrite we dig up next to it and the gems are hardly worth noticing. Everyone is deliriously happy, since we have a legendary chef cook serving us. One trader offered 8000 for one of his roasts.

It may have been this wealth that caused the goblins to rethink their tactics. Instead of sending raiders and an ambush or two first, they immediately laid siege. With a certain amount of dread we saw this happening, since our own forces were poorly equiped and barely trained.

No fear. the leader was riding a cave crocodile, which took him in a direct line through the swamp. Mere seconds after we first spotted them the attack ground to a halt as the leader drowned and none of them seems to know which direction to charge. Our own militia is not ready to deal with a squad of archers, so we're setting up a catapult for some target practice.

more later

The sad thing is, that all my recent forts have had gold and no iron =(

It gets frustrating after a while.....
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 11:27:01 am »

Wait, he drowned? I have tried and tried to get a goblin to drown but to no avail. What did I do wrong?
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »

Have you tried submerging them in water? In my experience, that seems to be an important step when drowning things.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 04:45:50 pm »

"I" didnt do anything. He was riding a cave crocodile. So where normal goblins would make a detour around the murky pools, the aligator just walks straight in. Its a known bug actually, because after the leader is drowned by his own (waterbreathing) mount, the whole squad just hangs around at the spot looking embarrased. If they had been macemen or something i would have lured them into my fort using my crossbowdorfs, but crossbowgoblins can be quite dangerous in large groups. all they need is one lucky hit

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 05:27:33 pm »

What do you mean you don't have iron? I'm pretty sure you've forgotten that Goblinite is also a valuable ore of iron, one which also doesn't require mining like the other three ores.

So here's what you do. You start placing traps all around. They can be anything, really, just as long as they completely surround your fortress. My suggestion would be to carve a ditch all the way around your fort, fill it with running water, all going in one direction, preferably using a screw pump. Near the screw pump make a sort of item catch. Next to the item catch have a secondary pump. Allow the item catch to be closed from the rest of the moat. Over time, the goblins will fall in (by whatever method you design) and drown. Their items and corpses will be pushed towards the item catch, which you can simply close off, and allow it to drain the water out for easy collection of their items.
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.
Pages: [1] 2