Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Devlog - conditional interactions, aka "more baby magic system"  (Read 1764 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Devlog - conditional interactions, aka "more baby magic system"
« on: November 12, 2011, 12:28:19 am »

Quote from: devlog
so you could add a snake bite now for instance that makes dwarves that haven't had a drink for two years go berserk and grow them three times their normal size and bulge out their eyes.
So... we're already getting 'potion' support in the upcoming version and now Toady has added conditional effects for further modding potential. Existing syndrome experiments led to 'magic clouds' to inflict indiscriminate syndromes in the current version, which can be spawned at will in custom workshop reactions.

I am currently immersed in the image of dwarven veterans imbibing 'red beer' which makes them berserk and 3 times as fast if they've got 5+ kills while the entrance chokepoint is flooded with poison gas which only affects elves and goblins. Or heck, why not make the gas give superstrength to dwarves while making goblin muscle rot?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Devlog - conditional interactions, aka "more baby magic system"
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:30:27 am »

Fuck this next update.

It's seriously so good it's wrapped around to negative.

Holy shit this is going to be gold.

I was excited about the interactions, but worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations.

Today's devlog just completely washed away all trepidation.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:39:18 am »

I came.

At this point anything seems possible. Now you can basically have a reaction that takes a plant/other substance and a glass vial to make a 'potion' item (a toy, perhaps, that traders can also bring), then another reaction from a custom one-tile workshop in your barracks that permits your soldiers to juice up before battle. Hell, you could assign them to a burrow now that contains only booze of a plant that carries an interaction/syndrome in it.

Now, I'd guess that an interaction can have temporary effects that won't return chronically, and that a dwarf can 'catch' the same syndrome/reaction multiple times in their life, therefore permitting one to have limited-time, on-use magic effects.

What WON'T I do with this? Certainly not update my mod so carpmen can drink the blood of their ancestors before battle and go 100% more ballistic on you (or just let them transform into even more horrifying versions of themselves on a whim), or permit adventurers to brew the plants it adds into potions (an edible item) for themselves in combat.

ooh-ooh-ooh! Make drinks, and subsequently cook bisquits, that causes creatures that eat/drink them to violently explode, then forbid it so your dwarves don't do just that. Bye-bye vultures/bears/other things that like to steal my food!

The sheer amount of goodies this update already would have permitted was astounding. This is going to be awesome.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 01:52:20 am »

What will this next update allow? I think that's simple.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU EAT THE MIND HONEY.

Oh yeah.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:42:58 am »

ooh-ooh-ooh! Make drinks, and subsequently cook bisquits, that causes creatures that eat/drink them to violently explode, then forbid it so your dwarves don't do just that. Bye-bye vultures/bears/other things that like to steal my food!

Oh, Urist McMason I see you are much to hungry to patch up the wall that was the only thing holding the hordes out of our fortress. Allow me to make a quick change to the menu, if you will. I'm sure you'll find this quite delicious.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:45:40 am »

I just hope this means I can place blocks in advmode.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 10:07:49 am »

I'm planning on adding an interaction that will turn all those affected into lovecraftian horrors. It shall be fun.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:14:03 am by Vorthon »

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:31:51 am »

Man, maybe my vision of arrows that are lit on fire as soon as they touch another specie's body will come true.....
Or can we make goblin blood to become magma as soon as they are exposed to some substance?
(stone, drawbridge made of that stone, arrows, swords etc....)
That would be epic, and, under some circumstances, hillarious.
But always ‼FUN‼ and fun.
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:53:52 am »

I'm envisioning re-enacting Asterix now, by having a magic potion that gives the drinker super-strength and ultra-speed. One sip and you can throw a bronze colossus... just don't let him hit you first...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:57:15 am »

Create a booze with an ingestion syndrome that causes skin and fat to rot off...
An army of killing machines armed with high quality blades, locked in layers of armor, fire proof, pain proof...
A necromancer has arrived!
You call that an undead legion?
*Opens main gate*
NOW THIS IS AN UNDEAD LEGION! WATCH AND LEARN!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:01:57 am by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 01:00:26 pm »

that whole lovecraftian horror transformation thing would be much better if you could get attacks that caused insanity as well as making different body parts be made of different materials and specifying exactly what you wanted in the creatures shape and what it contains
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 01:01:59 pm »

this is one step closer to oil grenades in adv. mode! or at least an easier one...

the spinning *oil grenade* strikes the goblin axelord in the left lower leg, bruising it!

the *oil grenade* explodes!
the goblin axelord is caught in a burst of oil grenade fire!
the goblin axelord is on fire!
the goblin axelord is melting!
the goblin axelord is caught in a burst of steam!

the goblin axelord has burned to death

or maybe a syndrome that makes a  dwarf turn into a friendly forgotten-beast like critter... one of levitation too... maybe a potion that makes a dwarf secrete a liquid that is extremely allergic to goblins for a short time, think about the possibilities...
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 01:23:43 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:07:45 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 02:27:30 pm »

Someone's going to make a finite levitation potion and later have their entire military explode into tiny, flat dwarf-bits because they ran out of flying ability in the middle of a siege. I'm certain of it.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 02:39:34 pm »

I am currently immersed in the image of dwarven veterans imbibing 'red beer' which makes them berserk and 3 times as fast if they've got 5+ kills while the entrance chokepoint is flooded with poison gas which only affects elves and goblins. Or heck, why not make the gas give superstrength to dwarves while making goblin muscle rot?
Yeah, while you can already do a selective-killing poison gas, adding in positive effect for dwarves certainly has an appeal.
Pages: [1] 2