Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So has Iron become absurdly rare?  (Read 7524 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: So has Iron become absurdly rare?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 06:17:11 am »

Two of three ores of iron are found in the sedimentary layer. Hematite can be found in the igneous one, but only very rarely.

So, if you don't have a sedimentary layer, don't count on iron. If you have a sedimentary layer, you should find lots, as well as chalk or limestone (flux) or dolomite (magma-safe flux).

Personally, I like rather flat terrain with lots of soil (to find sand) and trees, and that usually gets me a proper sedimentary layer as well.

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 08:26:25 am »

If only you could view details on the "shallow/deep metals" to tell me what the fuck they are, not that they are a metallic substance but Armok knows which!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 09:41:12 am »

Build traps and scavenge the Goblinite, useually starts off as Copper-Goblinite and then moves to Iron and possibly Steel-Goblinite.
My current for has no Iron nor Flux at all. I have Galena and a smattering of tetrahydrate, luckily i found plenty of Candy under the Carpet ( its just above the Basement :) ).

Also you can use sand to make glass trap components - glass makes a nice edge and is ok for traps until enemy armor improves. Or just use drop/drown traps.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:46:05 am by hjd_uk »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 09:46:54 am »

What about kitten bombs? Those don't require iron!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 09:58:51 am »

I stil lthink dwarves would have the skill and inclination to be able to create rock armor and weapons, i mean the elves make wooden armor, dont think you could get much Dwarfier than a *Granite Helm*

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 10:36:39 am »

We already have obsidian weapons, which are absurdly effective compared to many metals..    Tho having a granite hammer or a flint axe would be cool if just for the fluff aspect.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 11:26:40 am »

Just to add my experience...

Multiple recent .31.x embarks have been almost exclusively on plains, with plenty of sedimentary rock-types, at least at the surface.  My embark areas are often currently chosen for copious (if unspecified) shallow and deep metal and often some form of flux or other found in enough quantities to use for more expensive rock blocks.  But zero iron.  Usually the chosen home civilisation[1] completely lacks iron as well, if the trading situation is accurate, so maybe this indicates a world-scarcity?

This is invariably on the largest (non-island) default world-size setting template, with the only parameter changes that I ever make being increased gaps between cavern layers for more contiguous stone.  (Would that reduce ferrous ore veins?)

Tetrahedrite (yes, I call it "Tetrahydrite", in my head, as well) and galena are often there and give me silver (and, the former, copper) and I get steel bars and steel products (meltable, if not directly usable) from the home civ, but I'm used to having a steel-sparse military.

I dedicate myself to fortresses for a lot of time (playing time, micromanaging makes a game-year take ages) so I'm talking about maybe half a dozen examples all with no iron, which of course is not as conclusive or statistically significant as several dozen in which either none or few have had.  Chance (and inadvertent self-selection against the more ideal conditions needed) may easily have given me such a non-ferric outcome.

[1] I generally randomly choose home civs, where there's a choice.  It could be I've been picking home civs living in a non-iron locale, consistently.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 11:46:05 am »

It'd be nice to have more options at the low end.

Hardened leather, wooden spears and staves, more Stone and some bone weaponry would solve the gameplay problem without getting over the top with metal abundance.

This could be extended to other civs to prevent elves hitting you with nerf toys.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 12:59:19 pm »

Eh I do actually like it this way, gives you more reason to trade.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 01:19:24 pm »

There's no reason to trade if you are not playing a above-ground only fort. YOU CAN BUY THE WHOLE CARAVAN WITH A ☼Sheep tallow roast☼!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »

No Iron?

Thats what goblins are for!
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 05:10:21 pm »

No Iron?

Thats what goblins are for!

Truf.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.
Pages: 1 2 [3]