Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dedicated Night Creature Hunters  (Read 1672 times)

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dedicated Night Creature Hunters
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:24:29 pm »

I've replayed The Witcher lately, and it got me thinking. Seeing as we'll have a lot more creatures of the night in the next release, some even with unique, randomly generated weaknesses, it might be a nice idea to have dedicated organizations that specialize in hunting and killing monsters of the night.

Basically there'd be groups during world gen, whose purpose it is to protect innocents from Werebeasts, Vampires and whatever, either out of goodwill or for coin. They'd recruit members from different civilizations and train them into warriors. Most importantly though, they'd be a source of knowledge when it comes to the weakness of a particular creature. They could offer that knowledge to adventurers in exchange for either valuables or services. Or they could possibly require an adventurer to join the group in exchange for that knowledge.

If this has already been suggested, I'm sorry. I did a quick search that didn't turn up any relevant results, but I wasn't exactly thorough.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Night Creature Hunters
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:34:42 pm »

or it could be found in a book, or on a slab in an abandoned base of the cult group
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 07:38:20 pm »

I would support this idea.
Perhaps they would have the ability to ward off night creatures from a spot of their leaders choice once a night,
so that they themselves and anyone nearby can rest safely for that night.

edit: Also, they should be wanderers, so that they can rarely be found in the same spot twice.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:40:17 pm by Ultimuh »

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:41:55 pm »

or it could be found in a book, or on a slab in an abandoned base of the cult group

And then they'd hunt you down mercilessly, for stealing one of their precious secrets. I think that's a brilliant idea.

edit: Also, they should be wanderers, so that they can rarely be found in the same spot twice.

I don't see why it should be limited to that when The details of how they operate could just as well be randomized. For instance, one group could operate from a castle or fortress from where they send out agents that search for villages to protect, while another could wander the lands.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:28:38 am »

If this has already been suggested, I'm sorry. I did a quick search that didn't turn up any relevant results, but I wasn't exactly thorough.

Don't forget to check the dev page: 
Quote from: dev.html
Adventurer Role: Slayer of Night Creatures

* Night creatures and the undead
          o Replace skeletons and zombies with generalized generated types of creature corruption/undeath etc.
          o Causes -- existing from the beginning, death circumstances, being cursed, focusing on specific historical figures at first
          o Goals, if any, as individuals, even if it is murdering or mutilating wayfarers in the woods
          o Weaknesses, restrictions on movement, other limitations
          o Nicknames for them that are used by the villagers
    * Torment the living
          o Night creatures must act out their goals during play
                + Villagers should react using the same systems as with villains or player thieves, so that you can overhear conversations or use bounty-type systems
          o Some victims can end up drained as subvillains or slaves in the same way a bandit leader has subordinates
          o Stranger/thief tracking systems could be used to generate some paranoia surrounding night creatures with a human/etc. appearance or that utilize human/etc. slaves
          o Diseases/plagues could be included as indirect torments, as well as famine once site resources can be assailed
    * Hunting them down
          o Sometimes they are trackable through methods above, sometimes there are special signs
          o Killing them might ultimately require burying or burning a body, etc.
          o Religious or other groups might be able to tell you how to defeat or protect yourself from a night creature and support you with supplies if you can provide reports of its activity/victims etc.
    * Curses and exposure
          o Can be cursed by night creatures when you put them down
          o The slaves of night creatures could have extreme effects from proximity that also affect you if you make a business of hunting them

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:44:48 am »

What K17U suggested is more along the lines of NPC groups that actively hunt night creatures though, rather than ones that can describe to you how to do it, but otherwise stand around doing nothing.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 06:18:30 pm »

Like another Noble?  Or conversion of an existing Noble?  By the sounds of Toads post he's already converted the Sheriff/Captain of Guard into a Private Eye, CSI-type dwarf of sorts.  I'm a little bit sad about that, as he is already judge and police, combined.  And I'm not exactly sure, if his squadmates have the same arresting power as himself.  It would seem logical that his squad would be a posse, and not a military squad, but I dunno.  Hard to figure this stuff out.  If magic goes into DF, I could see a Cleric or noble as a perfect fit as a Dedicated Night Creature Hunter.  One for each catagory of Diety.  A Turn Undead skill, with its power based on his own experience, Diety, and quality of his Totem.  *shrug*   

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:39:47 pm »

This is an opportunity... To present something

YOU (or night beasties)

WILL

NOT

Spoiler: EXPECT!!!! (click to show/hide)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 08:06:09 pm »

YOU (or night beasties)

WILL

NOT

We already have one on these very forums.
You can easily tell who they are.
One word WILL make them appear..

<_<

>_>

Elves..

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 08:10:28 pm »

YOU (or night beasties)

WILL

NOT

We already have one on these very forums.
You can easily tell who they are.
One word WILL make them appear..

<_<

>_>

Elves..

*Cough cough*

What. I'm not the dwarf inquisition, I'm a mad sentient door.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:12:56 pm »

Would certainly make it easier to mod in the Grey Wardens from Dragon Age accurately, along with the other new stuff the new release will bring.

+1
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »

Don't forget to check the dev page: 

Oh. Yeah, in hindsight I really should've thought of that. Thanks for pointing it out.