Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can i make a well or underground water source by channeling up towards a brook?  (Read 3538 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From under it? Or how do i get an indoor clean water source for washing wounds

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(assuming you aren't dealing with salt water)  After digging out your hole, the easiest, and most time consuming to fill, is to use the bucket brigade.  Each open slot above the cistern will allow 1 citizen to get a bucket and pour into the hole.  Each bucket holds 1/7 of one tile.  My preferred method is to channel to a nearby water source then pump into it

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

From under it? Or how do i get an indoor clean water source for washing wounds

Brooks are only ever on top of rivers, channelling from underneath it will result in you releasing the wrath of water on your fortress.

So yes, you can, just prepare.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile

be wary of pressure, I lost various forts by trying to set up a water source for my prisons when I miscalculated it.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's why floodgates are pretty handy for such situations, just remember to lever them up after installing them :)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Safety-off (closed) lever for floodgates is a must. ;)  Even if you depressurize the water before you let it into your cistern.

I have used the ramp up into the bottom of a brook method before.  As long as you make sure you have time to wall off or otherwise block the water so it stays in the cistern and doesn't flood the fort you will be fine.  Read and understand the wiki page on water pressure.  The brook/stream/river will attempt to fill whatever it can reach up to its own surface height or (at best) one level below that, unless you have depressurized the water and do not give it a way to repressurize after that point.  There are lots of threads on how to accomplish this as well.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page

Safety-off (closed) lever for floodgates is a must. ;) 

Also, put the lever somewhere above where the water will be coming in.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile

I prefer drawbridges to floodgates, since they cannot be taken out by a determined skeletal carp.  But yeah, make a cistern, set up your water-stoppy device of choice, take care about pressure, and breach the water source.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So i dig out an area underground, than dig up towards the brook? And i build either floodgates or a drawbridge to dam the water?

How do dwarves access it? I'm not grasping the concept visually lmao

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A quick sketch of a cistern. You would probably need to put access stairs in for construction, but they can go beside the well.
Also note I didn't include any depressurizing mechanism.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why dont you just do it like so:

Where the purple X are floodgates, the green A is a natural stone smoothed to later allow fortifications be carved into it (to keep unwanted stuff out) and the red triangle is a tile channeled out from above thus forming a ramp right next to the river. With the two floodgates activated separately you can always refill the well with the water between the 2 gates without fearing water pressure too much.
You can even access the area behind the first floodgate to maybe install new cisterns by rerouting the water flow.
(a>b) ? false : true

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A quick sketch of a cistern. You would probably need to put access stairs in for construction, but they can go beside the well.

I really like how you added that sun to the sketch... perfect.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile

The others have side view covered, so here's a top view, from the z-level of the cistern:

All of this can be dug out starting from the square you channel to make the well, just leave the ramp so your miner can get out.  You'll have to carve stairs to get upward, but it works.  you can also work downward if you start the channeling one square away from the water source.

Also, I recommend against fortifications, according to the wiki, they can be swum through if the water reaches 7/7, and it hopefully will.  It's probably fine for a murky pool, but if you're drawing from a river or lake, it's not the best.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With simply breaking the brook, the water pressure will flood your fortress. Lots of panic and drama. Not cool.

But with double or even triple or quadruple(just in case a gremlin finds a switch) floodgates in the feeder tunnel, with an auxiliary tank inbetween, you can dose the amount of water you want to let in perfectly fine.

HarryFromMarydelDE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like how you added that sun to the sketch... perfect.

I love that the sun looks pissed off. The sun does not like dwarfs any more than they like it.

-Harry
Pages: [1] 2