Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is it wrong that i laughed for 2 solid minutes  (Read 8294 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Is it wrong that i laughed for 2 solid minutes
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 05:14:46 pm »

I had a captain of the guard who was little more than a torso. Well, he had arm stumps, and  leg stumps. He could bite and push, and that was it... So it was pretty funny to think a beating from the captain involving him rolling up to you, sort of trying to roll into you, and snapping at your ankles.

Thank you for making my day. I haven't laughed at a mental picture that hard in a while.

It's about twice a week I die from laughter reading these forums.

seconded
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 10:37:05 pm »

Hey, my first hammerer lost an arm on their first attempted execution. Candy axe + counterstrike FTW!

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 05:30:18 am »

I had a captain of the guard who was little more than a torso. Well, he had arm stumps, and  leg stumps. He could bite and push, and that was it... So it was pretty funny to think a beating from the captain involving him rolling up to you, sort of trying to roll into you, and snapping at your ankles.

Sigged.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 07:01:48 am »

Dwarven justice is pretty hilarious though.
Especially because it tends to be a process that is forced to repeat itself.
Law is broken, criminal is punished. Criminal may commit another crime due to the punishment(assuming they survived) and cause further misery. In case the original criminal did not survive, their friends may break the law in their stead from being miserable over their death, and the cycle starts all over again.

It's a miracle the dwarves even survive in a world where justice makes an entire fort flip it's shit and engage in complete anarchy. All we need is for dwarves to be able to make oilbombs and raid armories for gear and weapons to fight oppression and we'd have a whole new ballgame in our hands.

As for adamantine hammering, I'll bet sooner or later once dorf behavior is fleshed out more, getting hammered is a social stigma of such heights that it drives the surviving criminals miserable.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 08:31:39 am »

In Dawnstone, a dwarf tantrumed and destroyed the workshop my sheriff/a few other things was using. The vandalizer was beaten, of course.
Did I mention that the sheriff was also a woodcutter? Oops.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 06:13:54 pm »

I... I've been sigged... for the first time ever! What a frabjous day!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 06:40:53 pm »

I... I've been sigged... for the first time ever! What a frabjous day!

And so began a wondrous tale involving booze, slaughter a barrels of fun.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 08:20:31 pm »

I gave a CotG a masterwork steel sword - the mandates were easy to fulfill so I assigned him the sword so he looks cool.

Completely forgot a mandate on accident and ended up having my CotG get a bit - accidentally busy.

After a brief scuffle with a competent metalcrafter, I got the death notification - of the Captain of the Guard. My unarmed metalcrafter took down the steel-sword captain with his bare hands - not a lucky shot or anything, either. Just kept dodging the sword attacks and kept punching and kicking, wrestling, breaking a few bones and eventually making the CotG pass out, and then a kick to the head.

I now have a system where if you get jailed, you get locked in a room with the unarmed captain, who deconstructs your chain. If you beat him, you become the CotG.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 12:20:02 am »

I just find someone with the description "... is very weak" and assign the position to them.  If i can I will try and make a willow hammer (or adamantine once I get it) or some other feather light material to make sure they do little damage.

Of course, I also have some chains next to beds in little 2x2 cells, but still.

Oh, and in my current fort the Sheriff had her newborn (third) son stolen not a month after he was born.  Not sure how it happened, unfortunately.  No combat notice about a goblin or anything, so I guess she put him down to pick up the lumber I hadn't told her not to haul yet and didn't see the gobo come up behind them.  There were some greenies skulking about, so I know it was them, I just didn't get a notice at that time.  I also added the children to the burrow so they aren't supposed to leave now -- guess I should have done that sooner.

Its gonna be interesting if that dwarf comes back with a goblin siege later, as I plan on making the Sheriff's first (or second if the eldest isn't around) son the new Sheriff/CotG once the time comes.  Brother against brother!

[edit] and right after I post this, I go back to Sakrithalath (Blazedbolts), and almost immediately get a message that the Sheriff has given birth to a fourth son.  Prolific couple, that Sheriff and her husband ... I wonder if she'll be able to keep this one with her until it can mature.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:24:06 am by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 12:58:27 am »

I just find someone with the description "... is very weak" and assign the position to them.  If i can I will try and make a willow hammer (or adamantine once I get it) or some other feather light material to make sure they do little damage.

I do this as well, except I just give them a training sword. I think of it as an officer's baton.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 03:24:04 am »

Normally I just force my law enforcement to bring on the fisticuffs, but for this recent fortress I decided to give my guards legit weapons; a sword for the captain and maces for everyone else. They're just iron (the quality shit is for my military) but every now and again my captain disembowels rampaging maddwarfs and I wonder why I didn't do this sooner.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 07:30:38 am »

I've seen this now repeatedly, that some of you equip the guard with lighter weapons.
The "inflatable hammer" - that's a hilarious thing to imagine. And the process of the beating with that, too.

However, I consider this to be a really cruel type of punishment. True, a decent strike with the iron mace can put an offender really down. But sometimes they survive. It's like a kind of purgatory - only quicker.
Now, imagine that inflatable hammer. The CotG striking repeatedly the offender. It's making perhaps squeaky noises, too, doesn't it?
And the offender bending over a rack or something while the CotG says things like "And THIS! THAT will teach you!". It's a public humiliation. And they all do laugh. Now, do you really wonder them running amok armok after that?

Remark: Fixed typo
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:40:07 am by dr_random »

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 07:57:50 am »

Can't wait till Toady mods in "Lying about production orders."
Urist McMason: I have made those three slade blocks you requested.
Urist McNoble: No you haven't, these aren't slade!
Urist McMason: Of course they are, see how heavy they are? I can barely lift this bin of them and haul them across the fortress. Also, see how dark they are? Not even Onyx is so dark. They are also so warm to the touch. Only Armok's blood is so warm. Here, hold them and see for yourself!"
Urist McNoble: Well, that makes sense.
Urist McNoble is pleased at having a deadline met.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 09:11:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:17:09 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 09:54:47 am »

i wonder when he's going to apply mayor realism features on mandates

"we dont have copper?"
"no."
"we dont have tin?"
"no."
"so me wanting fine pewter items isnt going to work any time soon right?"
"no."
"Well, give me the gold cabinet then."
"sure."
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3