Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Any recommended horror games?  (Read 6918 times)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Any recommended horror games?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 10:37:40 pm »

Call of Cthulu is pretty terrifying later on, in a creepy sorta way. Not sure if thats the whole title.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth?

System Shock 2 is very good if you can find a copy, although not entirely scary.

Not scary? I guess you are made of sterner stuff than I.
I don't think I've tried playing since the last time when I was looting a corpse and an enemy snuck up and whispered in my ear.
Fell off my chair and quit the game.

Not really, I had my fair share of jump moments from SS2.   "Babies need meat..."  :P   It's just not an unrelenting spiral that makes you go to bed and curl up in a little ball that some of these games are, though.  Actually, that may be a point in its favor...

Call of Cthulu is pretty terrifying later on, in a creepy sorta way. Not sure if thats the whole title.

That one was also a good scary one, but it's horribly broken on PC, unfortunately, due to basing character movement on FPS.  There's a trainer/speedhack available that lets you fix some of the timing problems, but without it, there's two sequences that are virtually impossible.

KG

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 12:36:19 am »

Clocktower http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_Tower_(series)
Fatal frame/Project Zero, preferably a not completely translated copy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame
Early Silent hill games

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 12:33:55 pm »

That one was also a good scary one, but it's horribly broken on PC, unfortunately, due to basing character movement on FPS.  There's a trainer/speedhack available that lets you fix some of the timing problems, but without it, there's two sequences that are virtually impossible.

KG

I disagree with both sentiments: CoC:DCoTE became very much unscary as the game goes on and devolves into, more or less, into a generic shooter. In the beginning, you come into the town and you have no weapons and no idea what's going on. You deal a lot with chase scenes and stealth segments, and the periodic placement of checkpoints that protect you I think worked very well. The puzzles and point-and-click adventure-like components I thought shined especially well in the beginning. These elements are more or less phased out after you pick up a gun, and the game, I feel, lost a lot of the feeling of helplessness and terror.

And secondly, those segments (the chase scenes) are very much possible on PC without trainers or hacks. :p Just takes a few tries to figure out what you're supposed to do first. Pulling it all off in the end felt incredibly satisfying.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 12:50:49 pm »

It's already been mentioned a few times, but I strongly recommend the second Silent Hill if you have a way of playing it. It's just great.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 12:56:21 pm »

Clive Barker's Undying made me shat my trousers. Repeatedly. Quite an old shooter by now, but by Armok, still scares me.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 01:03:15 pm »

Fiend is freeware, and pretty damn scary. (according to the link, it's the same guys who made Amnesia)

The controls are a bit hard, since the game doesn't pause while in the menu.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 02:47:49 pm »

Clive Barker's Undying made me shat my trousers. Repeatedly. Quite an old shooter by now, but by Armok, still scares me.

That is indeed a good one, shame almost nobody knows about it.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 11:41:15 am »

I disagree with both sentiments: CoC:DCoTE became very much unscary as the game goes on and devolves into, more or less, into a generic shooter. In the beginning, you come into the town and you have no weapons and no idea what's going on. You deal a lot with chase scenes and stealth segments, and the periodic placement of checkpoints that protect you I think worked very well. The puzzles and point-and-click adventure-like components I thought shined especially well in the beginning. These elements are more or less phased out after you pick up a gun, and the game, I feel, lost a lot of the feeling of helplessness and terror.

I've heard that complaint about it, but found it didn't detract much from it.  However, I started playing expecting a generally creepy shooter along the lines of FEAR, not expecting something like Amnesia.

And secondly, those segments (the chase scenes) are very much possible on PC without trainers or hacks. :p Just takes a few tries to figure out what you're supposed to do first. Pulling it all off in the end felt incredibly satisfying.

I personally tested it with and without the trainer at various resolutions, since I normally hate the things.  I found character movement dramatically increased when running in 640x480 as opposed to 1024x768.    Before applying the trainer, I also went and looked up video walkthroughs so I knew the exact path.  Under 1024x768, the fish-men sequence was barely possible by cutting every corner perfectly and not fumbling any locks.  The end-game escape sequence was indeed impossible.

I was running it on a laptop with integrated graphics at the time, so I was not getting very good FPS.  If you look around, there's other people who've had the same problem with not being able to complete sequences as intended on PC in resolutions 1024x768 or higher.

KG
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:52:00 am by kg333 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 11:44:08 am »

That is indeed a good one, shame almost nobody knows about it.

It is probably because of one very good reason:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 12:52:33 pm »

I don't remember Undying getting worse at any point.

Also, I never beat Call of Cthulhu, I gave up in the final sequence, couldn't do it.

Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 12:59:58 pm »

I don't remember Undying getting worse at any point

It turns to crud right around the point where it proves that ALL anthropologists ever wrong.

Then again I read the book the game came in so maybe I was expecting more intelligence from the game. Undying seems to almost make a better novel then a game.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:41:38 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 11:02:21 pm »

Going to add

Waxworks

And maybe... The Void (though it isn't EXACTLY a horror game)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 11:24:06 pm »

Super Man 64 >_> <_<

the Clocktower games are good for scary
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »

CoC saps all the potential horror out of the game by a) making the scenarios the worst of Resident Evil's "Do or die" boss strategies, like Cthulhu said, and b) they give you the fire power and the ability to kill Mythos stuff. Not just here and there, but a whole level filled with Mythos creatures that you gun down. Despite the fact the first half of the game takes place in the most boring environment of the game, and is practically event for event a recreation of A Shadow over Innsmouth....it's MORE interesting than the late game to me.

The injury system is also shit. It should be a great piece of realism enforcing mechanics, but in a world with virtually NOTHING else going on it, it's more like an elaborate penalty for EVER screwing up.

Undying is an OK game. Sort of scary but has this layer of semi-cartoony graphics that can ruin it for you. I agree the game starts well then basically falls apart later on. When you're running across the damn mansion 4 and 5 times to try and figure out where to go next, you're not scared anymore and most of the "tricks" game devs pull to scare you have long since stopped working.

Undying seems to almost make a better novel then a game.

That's because Clive Barker is a better novelist than he is a gameplay creator. Jericho, anyone?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:30:21 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2011, 11:36:31 pm »

Oddly enough I think I really understand Jericho quite a bit.

The biggest mistake I feel the game made is that its end game wasn't ambiguous enough especially given the context which I shall say in this spoiler which features HEAVY GAME RUINING SPOILERS!:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4