Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need some creative input on a nice location  (Read 1235 times)

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need some creative input on a nice location
« on: November 11, 2011, 03:57:13 pm »

Hello bearded gentleman and bearded ladies.
I've just reinstalled DF again and immediately found a very nice embark location.

It's a stream running from the south east to the north west in a 6z level deep canyon. 2 adjacent smaller streams flow into the canyon via waterfalls.
Usually I just derp right into the next best hillside for several years - but this calls for a massive surface construction project.

I thought about making the middle part of the location (the one that edges into the canyon) an island in the canyon and add a couple more waterfalls. Due to lack of creativity (dwarfiness) I kind of cannot come up with something more epic. Any ideas? There are carp in the canyon... too bad they were nerfed.
(a>b) ? false : true

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need some creative input on a nice location
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:11:35 pm »

Dig down into the canyon and connect through the middle with a series of bridges.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:37:04 pm »

That big middle part. Drain it, put a roof on it then turn the entire thing into your base.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 05:31:46 pm »

That's the "creative input" alright.

Evile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 05:33:39 pm »

Dig out a cylindrical shaft in the middle and turn all tunnels into bridges connecting to central spire in the middle. Then turn the shaft into refillable cistern so your dorfs would live in supersized aquarium. Extra water can be drawn from the depths via central spire to make more waterfalls.

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 06:06:26 pm »

Something's coming this way!

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »

Sutremaine might have just won the Post of The Year award
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 02:01:47 pm »

It seems like the canyon is slowly but surely filling up with the water the 2 other streams provide. I am not certain yet, but I bet the canyon will eventually be a lake. Unless I can come up with a method of limiting the input of the 2 streams...
For now, I am busy building a wall asap - those giant badgers throw me terrifying glances from across the canyon. So glad they spawned on the wrong sides until now. But the way the map is divided allows for some easy trapping and archery practice from across one side of the canyon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 02:09:23 pm »

It seems like the canyon is slowly but surely filling up with the water the 2 other streams provide. I am not certain yet, but I bet the canyon will eventually be a lake. Unless I can come up with a method of limiting the input of the 2 streams...
For now, I am busy building a wall asap - those giant badgers throw me terrifying glances from across the canyon. So glad they spawned on the wrong sides until now. But the way the map is divided allows for some easy trapping and archery practice from across one side of the canyon.

Build bridges connecting all sides of the canyon, and build a massive gate house fortress above the gates. Defend against all who dare to cross.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 02:49:39 pm »

I already had the gatehouse thing in mind:

grey - walls
yellow - medium tower
red - great tower
green - bridges

I would divide the fortress into 3 parts:
the top part would be the armory, baracks, jail and such fun.
the lower part would be farms, pastures, etc.
the middle part would be the living area whereas the tower itself will be reserved for the nobility (with long narrow skyways to maybe provoke basejumping activities for bored nobles). 
I plan on connecting the 3 parts with smaller bridges inside the canyon - if it doesnt fill up.

Still, building towers doesnt sound very dorfy unless build into the magma sea... maybe turning the middle island into a giant diamond will do the trick. If the canyon ends up as a lake eventually, it would also impose a challenging dead line as to when the lower half would have to be finished.
Hasnt actually someone already done this "diamond in a canyon" thing, I vaguely remember something of thart sort?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:52:27 pm by DTF »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 04:15:33 pm »

A lot of people (including myself) have done this before, but other then that, I have only seen a few threads about it, the most recent I believe being about an oxbow bend turning into an isolated island, and that island turning into Dwarf Prison:P

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 07:37:17 am »

This looks good. What biome(s) is this embark a part of? Could you toss the world gen info and embark spot on the DF cookbook thread maybe, or here?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 08:17:25 am »

Embark location:
There are a few more waterfalls along that canyon.

As for the world gen info... how do I retrieve it? I know you can save the parameters while genning the world - but how do I do it beyond that point?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 09:29:31 am »

Dig out all your rooms in the canyon cliffs, and have them connected mainly by bridges and constructed floors running along the cliff face.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.
Pages: [1] 2