Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging designation cancelled:  (Read 770 times)

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging designation cancelled:
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:17:45 pm »

warm stone located.

There's gotta be a way to turn this off. Suggestions?

Edit:

This was found in the data files, but I'm not sure how to modify it it the right way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:40:35 pm by vonFaust »
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging designation cancelled:
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:20:45 pm »

I think that you can toggle the pausing and taking you to the spot, even the little red message showing up, but I don't think it will actually stop them from canceling physical digging.

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:22:51 pm »

We need two digging options, one where they dig what we tell no matter what. I am well aware already that the damn lake is right above you and I know damn well not to pierce the roof.

Then the other dig option could be what we have now.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »

Well, I've found this in the announcements.txt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But I dont know what to do with it. I'm sure someone does though.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:27:07 pm »

There is some way to modify the raws or something (modder talk, you'd have to ask them) to turn it off but the problem that can come up is they turn it off completely meaning you may accidentally dig into warm/wet environments and be unhappy.

I do agree that what I'd love to see is a toggle option to turn off/on the sensor for above you, its a huge pain to have to make a room one step at a time because there is water/magma above your dwarves.  I suppose I should be happy they stopped the 'pause-zoom to location' trigger every time they find some random pointless, meaningless stone.. But I'd love to go the rest of the way and change this one.

Interestingly, it doesn't tell you about aquifers unless you are actually digging into them (thank god), it would be nice to set whatever that trigger is to include any body of water/magma, cause really the odds of accidentally digging 'up' into something is minute.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 12:30:58 pm »

There is some way to modify the raws or something (modder talk, you'd have to ask them) to turn it off but the problem that can come up is they turn it off completely meaning you may accidentally dig into warm/wet environments and be unhappy.

I do agree that what I'd love to see is a toggle option to turn off/on the sensor for above you, its a huge pain to have to make a room one step at a time because there is water/magma above your dwarves.  I suppose I should be happy they stopped the 'pause-zoom to location' trigger every time they find some random pointless, meaningless stone.. But I'd love to go the rest of the way and change this one.

Interestingly, it doesn't tell you about aquifers unless you are actually digging into them (thank god), it would be nice to set whatever that trigger is to include any body of water/magma, cause really the odds of accidentally digging 'up' into something is minute.

It would be something I'd turn off after I found the Magma sea in the world Im in, so I know the general area I shouldn't dig without my undivided attention. Otherwise, all this candy's a big ol' tease.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

There was an utility called "justdigitout" somewhere for both 40d and 31.x. Perhaps it is a part of DFhack.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 01:26:32 pm »

There was an utility called "justdigitout" somewhere for both 40d and 31.x. Perhaps it is a part of DFhack.

Ah, thanks much. Google'd and found it. For anyone else who's interested:

Scratch that, it's not compatible with the current version.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:30:37 pm by vonFaust »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 01:57:12 pm »

dont you get a similar warning with damp stone? you can dig in it later if you wish anyway. I dont consider this a problem as i undesignate known damp/ hot patches soon after anyway
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 02:10:16 pm »

dont you get a similar warning with damp stone? you can dig in it later if you wish anyway. I dont consider this a problem as i undesignate known damp/ hot patches soon after anyway

Yes you can redesignate them, but it's extremely annoying when you're mining for ores and you have to redesignate after every block.