Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's a nice 40k army to get started with?  (Read 2752 times)

andreus015

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's a nice 40k army to get started with?
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:57:24 am »

Hello

I want to play 40k and don't know what I should start with??

I'm thinking between nids or orks??

(and anything but SM's thanks.)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's a nice 40k army to get started with?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 10:20:08 am »

IG are the most badass.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:22:25 am »

Orks is a pretty easy army to get into, since their tactics aren't that complicated for the most part. There are some more subtle things you learn about the orks over time, but at low points all you need to know is GET STUCK IN, BOYZ!

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:14:58 pm »

Generally I've found the best thing to do is choose an army that you like the look of. There all pretty reasonable choices in terms of gameplay and unless you have specific preferences on what style of fighting you would want from your army I've found the best choice is the one you like the models for.

Bricktop

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:06:19 pm »

Between orks and tyranids I'd pick the orkz, because they're much more fun.  Tyranids kind of have the same problem that necrons did before their last codex in that they're a pretty faceless army that just kill for the primal instinct of it.

Orkz are just loads of fun.  Your imagination can go pretty wild with a warboss or waaagh's theme.  My brother is building an ork army based around the warboss Kaptain Krump who leads a waaagh based on aerial tactics (which is a dangerous thing for orkz to try, considering how cobbled together their equipment is).  He's building a large converted super heavy flier based around some C-130 toy we had lying around from when we were kids.

For an Imperial army I'd probably go with Imperial Guard if you don't want to do space marines (and I can understand why you might think that way, they're a dime a dozen and that's coming from someone who only plays space marines :)).  Imperial Guard give you plenty of flexibility in expressing yourself in the army, and have a more down to earth feel compared to marines.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:09:23 pm »

Step 1: Go Imperial Guard.
Step 2: Paint them best you can as storm troopers.
Step 3: Every game, have two of them fall off the side of the field.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 03:36:20 pm »

I'd go either Imperial Guard, Orks, or Necrons.
However, I don't advise you to go with Tyranids. Their current codex is quite bad, or so I hear.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:35:29 am »

I'm a Tyranid player. I've always loved the 'endless horde' motif of them. Don't let people convince you that 'faceless and without personality' means you cannot customise. Unfortunately, the codex is pretty bad, mostly due to the rarity of invulnerable saves. Even your big nasty monsters will get torn to shreds by anyone with a power weapon of some sort. I lost a Trygon almost the moment it entered to a random Grey Knight space marine with a nemesis force halberd. Just a lowly strike-squad marine, about as weak as Grey Knights come.

I also have a decent Ork army and a small Chaos Daemons army. Chaos Daemons are so much fun to play, because they're just crazy wacked out, but like the tyranids they're not very competitive due to a lack of shooting units (Unless you go all Tzeentch). My Orks have all the guns and are crazy fun to play. If you want to start a new army and want to be silly, go orks. If you want to start a new army and go for something a bit more serious, try out the Daemons, or the new Necrons (because they've just got a whole bunch of rather nice things).
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 07:47:28 am »

Necrons and Space marines are the most beginner friendly in terms of painting and troop choice investments.
I am not saying don't do guard, because they have gotten a-lot cheaper to start up with their last codex, but their vechicals in particular are kinda tricky to build and the inf are a time-sink.

By big problem with the Orkz are the Orky textures like racing checkers are a bitch to paint on.
Thank you based dwarf.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 04:08:08 pm »

Necrons are a good idea in theory, but in practice their codex (and most non-Marine codexes) are super shitty. I recomend Ork, since they don't suffer much from Marine fanboyism among the writers and are pretty easy to understand. Also, they're orks and therefore awesome.

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:44:40 am »

Go Tau. You never have to worry about codex updates.

andreus015

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 09:06:40 am »

A'ght Going to get an Ork set.

Haven't read much of the codex's but is it possible to have Genesteeler Ork's I feel the urge to one day swarm some Space Marine's.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 12:59:04 pm »

A'ght Going to get an Ork set.

Haven't read much of the codex's but is it possible to have Genesteeler Ork's I feel the urge to one day swarm some Space Marine's.

If you're asking if it's possible for genestealers to infect orks, then the answer, at least according to one of the Commissar Cain novels is yes, they can.  What the tyranids codex has to say about this, I have no idea, and I also have no idea if there are actually any rules for this sort of thing in game.  I've never played tyranids, nor faced them in person.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 01:08:01 pm »

I think Orks could be great solid choise, I'd imagine that they would be fun to put together and paint too!

I play Tau myself and I have whopping 6% win percentage in friendly games. It's probably mix of suckiness and difficult army. It helps if you're ready to put more money on the figs so you can make better army lists. I'm such a cheapskate that I never made good list, that could be the third reason for my lose streaks. Having enough those Tau battlesuits is important! I'm not sure but I think that Orks can be cheap or expensive army, depending on the army list.

EDIT:

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you meant having Genestealers in Ork army then thats impossible. You might be able to use Genstealer figs as some Ork figs though, but I don't know what your opponents would say about that. In our games that would be perfectly acceptable as we never cared about "wysiwyg" rule. (What you see is what you get) My firewarriors are still missing their hands after over year of playing with them.  :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:17:31 pm by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 01:13:47 pm »

Maybe we should get some games together on vassal.
Pages: [1] 2