Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Of trees,elven weapons and trade  (Read 3244 times)

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of trees,elven weapons and trade
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 04:02:03 pm »

Because currently they're kind of annoying pushovers.  I don't need unique annoyances.  Besides, making them excel at crafting fine lightweight weapons and armours would be giving them a new unique ability.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 04:04:10 pm »

No, it wouldn't. It'd make them the same as every other bunch of elves out there.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 08:50:33 am »

Obsidian spears?
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 01:35:46 pm »

Good idea, but they don't mine rock, they could pick it from surface boulders.
IIRC Aztecs used to use obisidian to make their weapons and tools.

Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 02:52:47 pm »

Hell, we still use obsidian today, in scalpels. Because the edge can get down to only 3 nanometers thick. It's incredibly sharp.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »

I actually had an idea for making elves more diffucult in fights, while letting them keep their tree-loving, wood weaponizing ways intact:

I think that, when under attack by elves, the surrounding forces of nature should turn against you. all untamed wildlife becomes hostile, dwarves become considerably slower when walking through long grass, maybe even have the trees become anthropomorphic during the siege and strike at passing dwarves.

It would actually make going against the elves in more forested areas something to be dreaded, because you would be fighting on their turf.

Vember

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 10:10:15 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88869.0

^this. I already modifed it a bit for my own tastes... Also, CivForge mod had a somewhat similar idea [REACTION:SING_SILVER_WOOD], but it was never finished afaik.

Aside from that, do I get it right that Elves got their 700 speed factor taken off in this version of vanilla DF? Does anyone know why?
Pages: 1 [2]