Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 112148 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (Version 0.1)
« Reply #375 on: January 21, 2012, 02:11:58 pm »

Indeed.

So long as the word rec can determine what words are being typed and in what position I don't need to plan any further ahead, so I figured i'll put my dwarves to work.

Say I want to type MAGMA. The support for the word MAGMA has 5 pressure plates, one for each possible position in the sentence. The AI knows that you typed it and where by water being pumped onto one or more of them. The pump is connected to 6 gears, all of which need to be activated by typing each letter in the correct position followed by a space, exclamation mark, question mark or period. Determining what the AI does with this information and how will result in brain hurts, but being as simple as this I should be able to find some way.

The number of gears to activate the pump might change. If only 2 or 3 letters of a word are needed to identify it then that's fine.

EDIT: 0.1 labeled an Alpha as it seems more appropriate. Will move to Beta if I can get the AI to respond to user input in any way.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:45:50 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1 Alpha)
« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2012, 04:06:59 pm »

Progress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My dwarves are beginning to have less and less space to work and live. Navigation is also becoming a problem with the new construction being built over top the main stairway. To get from the surface to the 'fort' on the bottom level they need to wind through areas that will be filled with gears and axles.

Water needs to get to the level below this and my options are pretty limited. Will probably use that undug area to funnel it down.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 22, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »

My dwarves are beginning to have less and less space to work and live.

You could let your dwarves live in the memory banks.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #378 on: January 22, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »

You are probably gettin bored of people complementing this thing but I can't help myself-This is f*ckin amazing :o
Don't give up :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #379 on: January 23, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »

My dwarves are beginning to have less and less space to work and live.

You could let your dwarves live in the memory banks.

Unbelievably good idea.

Masterwork AI bedrooms. The Dwarves prowling the AI like dutiful sentries >:]

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 23, 2012, 02:14:46 pm »

Urist McScientist was woken up by a calculation recently. He has sustained major injuries recently.

I've discovered something fantastic about the word rec i'm building. I was thinking about how the AI was going to type out the sentences it constructs and I came up with something that works on the same principle as the word rec. Then came the 'Holy shit' moment where I realized that the word recognition can double as the speech center of the AI's brain. It's just a matter of reversing its function where instead of taking user input in the form of characters to identify words it takes AI input in the form of words that break down into characters. Then it's just a matter of constructing a cycler that basically goes down the line of conveniently ordered characters and types them out one by one onto the AIs display.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #381 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:48 pm »

look, i didn't understand a word, but anyway, go for it.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 23, 2012, 05:11:23 pm »

Here's a simple yet evil question:

How did you build your logic gates?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 23, 2012, 05:53:17 pm »

Pretty much the whole thing consists of pressure plates and pumps to pump water onto them connected to 2 or 3 gears that all need to be activated by other pressure plates and/or levers for the pump to work. Looking at it from a wider viewpoint there's more complex gates going on but it's all built off these simple AND's.

I've forgotten the notion that i'm "programming" with a "language" really, i'm just going with what works.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 25, 2012, 12:25:17 am »

Doortufts is now 27 years old and all this time i've never had a broker with skill in appraisal, so I couldn't see my forts worth. I finally built a depot so I can check it out and my mind got blown...

Might have something to do with all those steel screwpumps. Again, i'm using free reactions to get everything I need so it doesn't mean much, but still, fuuuuuuck.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:28:44 am by BloodBeard »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 25, 2012, 12:42:18 am »

...Guess it's cause you're B12 Bill Gates.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 25, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »

Progress update:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nothing fancy going on yet, just building the framework. More pumps need to be built on the level above this along with a smaller section like this being built near the surface. Doors need to be made after and then i'll probably start designing the logic banks which need to be built partially aboveground.

I was hoping I could get another alpha release out demonstrating word recognition before linking up the AI's display (an arduous task), but with the word rec now doubling as its speech center I don't know if I can do one without doing the other. It's getting harder to keep track of all that's going on, i'll know when I figure out the logic banks.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 25, 2012, 04:49:49 pm »

I've forgotten the notion that i'm "programming" with a "language" really, i'm just going with what works.
All "programming" "languages" have to start somewhere...
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 25, 2012, 05:25:14 pm »

In this case, it looks more like raw TTL. (Transistor-transistor logic)

The language is pure logic. (And, or, xor, not, etc..)

An actual programming language is a high level abstraction of low level machine instructions.
What is being done here is more like custom hardware and hardwired behaviors.

I have considered attempting a simplistic alu implementation, but so far have never done it.

What I think would be epically dwarfy is not housing dwarves in the memory cells, but instead od using water, use magma as the fluid (and accept the slower compute rate, and loss of pressure effects), and convert the cpu registers and memory bank into a "gauntlet" that invaders must crawl through to get to the fortress within. This way the operation of the dwarfputer serves a dual purpose.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 26, 2012, 03:06:55 pm »

Though massive and potentially very complex, it is all pretty basic logic, yeah. It is possible for more advanced mechanics like 8-bit, 16-bit or higher memory addresses and work using those, but it really all depends on what you need. For what i've been doing so far there's very little, if any improvements to be made other then space efficiency. Things might work a little differently when I actually start designing the AI's decision making functions, there's no real 'ideal' layout there.

I thought of using magma at one point but the downsides seemed too heavy. The main one being temperature. To be an effective deterrent and weapon temperature would need to be on, and I think we all know the evil that is magma pumping lag.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31