Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 112230 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (WIP)
« Reply #255 on: December 19, 2011, 10:30:55 pm »

Pink Floyd to celebrate the first major landmark. I approve.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2011, 10:48:53 pm »

Glorious.

A note on speed - if you make an active record of something at an extremely slow FPS and load it up to the DFFD, it will appear to run much faster. Such a recording would show the clear lever functioning at a much, much faster speed.

Yep, after I put in the readiness indicator which will help me optimize typing speed i'll make a video of it working.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2011, 11:02:29 pm »

"I, Robot" would still happen.

Not sure if you're talking about the movie, or the book by Isaac Asimov, but the plots were pretty much the exact opposite.  In the movie, the computer tries to take over the world and the heroes stop it.  The book was a collection of short stories, and in one story, the computer controls the world and makes it nearly perfect, eliminating poverty.

My opinion on the rules: Rule 1 is impractical, Rule 2 is obvious, and Rule 3 is unnecessary.
Rule 1 both prevents and mandates human death, rule 2 can lead to some problems but not as much, rule 3 prevents robots from shooting themselves.

Also, a robot can say "I am not a robot, I am an artificial intelligence", leading to him becoming unbound  :P

According to the book, the three rules are actually very complex mathematical equations, and the English version is only an approximation.  So presumably the math formulas don't allow loop-holes due to silly things like English wording or synonyms. 

I don't see why rule 3 is unnecessary. A machine would not care about its own survival unless programmed to.  You wouldn't want expensive robots letting themselves get destroyed.

ludsoe

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urst of Urstland
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2011, 02:12:19 am »

I don't see why rule 3 is unnecessary. A machine would not care about its own survival unless programmed to.  You wouldn't want expensive robots letting themselves get destroyed.

Without,
Robot: Omg, magma....... HUGZZ!!!!!

With,
Robot: If i touch that magma i cant function.

*In Dwarf friendly terms*
Ludsoe has cancels life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

(Reserved for more stuff)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2011, 02:14:05 am »

BloodBeard... *applauds* This is incredible. lol - keep it up! Count me among the many who will eagerly download v0.1. I'm amazed something like this could be done at all. Kudos to you, sir. :)

The plots in the movie and the book were pretty much opposites, true... In the movie, humans were the good guys, and robots were the bad. In the book, at a point, humans almost became the bad guys, with how they were screwing up the balance of everything. But they both worked along the same rules. Asimov himself could've come up with the story in the movie, had he chosen to make robots evil instead of good. Though, honestly, I would've expected to see much more in-depth dialogue and less stunt-oriented action in his version.

EDIT: ludsoe, genius. Completely correct. Lmao :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 20, 2011, 05:07:08 am »

You forgot the ‼ character! How are dwarves supposed to properly transliterate the sounds of dwarves screaming their heads off whilst slowly being deep fried to death in their own blazing liquefied body fat without the ‼ character?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2011, 06:18:53 am »

Ahh... the awesomeness, you sir have created notepad in DF
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2011, 07:03:06 am »

Either you want your robots to keep themselves safe, or you don't. You don't need a rule for that.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2011, 09:38:03 am »

Either you want your robots to keep themselves safe, or you don't. You don't need a rule for that.

>_< You just being awkward for the sake of it?
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2011, 12:09:02 pm »

Actually, I feel perfectly sensible. I mean, which kind of OCD government would enforce a law telling all robot programmers to have their robots please not trash themselves if they can avoid it? It's nice if your robots manage to keep themselves whole for a while, but it is absolutely unnecessary to make laws just for that. It's as if the government would say: "Don't you dare break a cup in your house, otherwise we'll put the cup in jail! Ha!".

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 20, 2011, 12:42:31 pm »

No, it's like humans deciding for the most part staying alive is a good idea and that we should avoid getting ourselves killed.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2011, 12:46:30 pm »

No, it's like humans deciding for the most part staying alive is a good idea and that we should avoid getting ourselves killed.

I like being alive.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 20, 2011, 02:30:04 pm »

Actually, I feel perfectly sensible. I mean, which kind of OCD government would enforce a law telling all robot programmers to have their robots please not trash themselves if they can avoid it? It's nice if your robots manage to keep themselves whole for a while, but it is absolutely unnecessary to make laws just for that. It's as if the government would say: "Don't you dare break a cup in your house, otherwise we'll put the cup in jail! Ha!".

Your concept of a law and what is actually meant by those "laws" are entirely different, as someone pointed out. It's not like a governmental body passed a law saying that robots could not commit suicide. The programmers for said robots hard-coded a survival instinct in them, so they wouldn't do stupid stuff and get themselves destroyed.

EDIT: Found it.

According to the book, the three rules are actually very complex mathematical equations, and the English version is only an approximation.  So presumably the math formulas don't allow loop-holes due to silly things like English wording or synonyms. 

Now if only the same could be said for dwarves...

Urist McDwarf: Hmm... Goblins, orcs, and a dragon are waiting outside our gates, ruthlessly killing everything that steps outside. I should probably stay ins- OMG SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Urist McDwarf has been struck down.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:31:49 pm by Mego »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 20, 2011, 04:50:06 pm »

Your concept of a law and what is actually meant by those "laws" are entirely different, as someone pointed out. It's not like a governmental body passed a law saying that robots could not commit suicide. The programmers for said robots hard-coded a survival instinct in them, so they wouldn't do stupid stuff and get themselves destroyed.

That was just to clarify, but the third law still should be regarded as a "feature" rather than a "law", "regulation" or "necessity".

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 20, 2011, 04:57:03 pm »

It's off topic, but also on topic. Argh, dilemma.

Anyways, I have numbras!

While the text displayer is capable of running on 2,520 uristwatts with a minimum requirement of 1,960 (including gears and axles from the windmill farm), I have it running on 3,080 uristwatts (77 windmills) with a minimum requirement of 2,064.

The machinery consists of 1,137 screwpumps, 3,152 gears,  593 pressure plates and 1,605 lengths of axle. The total number of mechanisms used is 37,933, of which 34,188 are used in 17,094 linkages.

The fun part? All that is going to double when I need to hook up the AI's display, nevermind what i'll need to build its brain. I don't know if my FPS can take it, but i'll keep going till I can't.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31