Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 112232 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Learning Computer (WIP)
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2011, 02:18:15 am »

This... this is awesome. But dangerous. Delete the save folder at the first sign of true sentience.
No, put it in a torrent and teach it to replicate itself! This is the most badass way the world can end. With magma pumps,
Hmmmm.  Hot rocks technology, (in Australia), counts as close to magma, so, CHECK,
beards
Plenty of them in Australia, even I have one, so CHECK,
and MANDATORY DRINKING.
When mentioning drinking in Australia, mandatory is redundant, so CHECK.
Our first successful heir to the Toady is ThatAussieGuy.  No need to fear the future, for it is already here.

Darkening Kaos, CIS, LUH.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (WIP)
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2011, 05:54:49 pm »

Thank fucking god, i'm done linking this section of gears.

(blue ones)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Such a pain. Each of those 15 gear groups needed to be linked to 44 pressure plates, and each of those pressure plates had its own macro that I needed to load and execute on. The line of pressure plates all look the same so it was nerve racking trying to make sure the macros were being executed on the right one.

Now I need to go in depth to see for certain that I linked them all correctly, and to do that i'll need to get water in the channels, power sent down to the pumps and manually check each pressure plate. If it's all working properly pressure plate 'A' should display 'A' across the whole 32 tile display and the same should go for all the other characters' pressure plates.

If that checks out the next set of gears to build and link will be the ones that make sure only 1 display tile is worked on at a time. These will be directly below the blue ones.

On an unrelated note, I have some daredevil goats up in the windmill farm:

I hope they come down by themselves, one wrong dodge by a dwarf and SPLAT. I don't need that kind of inconvenience.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2011, 08:56:50 pm »

No one said mega engineering was pretty. Goats in your windmill farm is kind of like bears around the Alaskan Pipeline :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2011, 10:18:04 pm »

I hope they come down by themselves, one wrong dodge by a dwarf and SPLAT. I don't need that kind of inconvenience.

Goats in the sky. Armok is with you!
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2011, 10:55:14 am »

It's a defense mechanism built into the game. The game is surrendering! "gg"

FINISH HIM!

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »

Powering the machinery for testing proved to be quite the task in of itself. I designed it to be very power efficient with the display never intended to be activated all at the same time, so it was no surprise when I bypassed those efficiency features and found that I needed a fuckton of power. This is a copy of the region file that i'm working on that I don't intend to keep, and building the needed amount of windmills would be pretty time consuming so I only built 220 (8800 Uristwatts worth), which is just enough to utilize half the display at a time.

Now I have a set of 4 levers, 2 that send power to each half of the display and 2 that clear each half of the display. Only 1 can be active at a time or I blow a fuse.

But i'm not complaining, it's better then the alternative which in essence consists of me hovering my curser over 21k gears to make sure they're in the correct on or off state. Now to get on with the bug checking.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2011, 02:33:14 pm »

Now to get on with the bug checking.

May the Dwarf be with you.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2011, 05:32:38 pm »

Bug checking went very smoothly. I had forgotten 2 linkages, but none were mislinked so I didn't have to redo anything.

There's still a ton of linkages left to make, but they're all pretty straight forward. Overdrive commencing, destination Release 0.1

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »

Guys, just so you know I've placed bunkers across the world that can only be found on maps that are in ASCII just in case 0.1 completely kills us all.

If it brings forth a new age of beards though...

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2011, 08:46:33 pm »

There will be no malicious machinery out to kill you in 0.1... so far as you know.

My goal as you can see is to blind any user trying to find out its secrets.

This section was done inside an hour, a far cry from the weeks it took for the last one. Not all will be so easy, the next section I plan to do is part of the display clearing gearing up higher. I'll have to check again but I think that the whole 480 gear cluster needs to be linked to a single pressure plate. My small army of legendary mechanics will be of no use save to make sure I have the needed mechanisms (I think I already do...).

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2011, 08:47:28 pm »

Oooooh, Microcline!
Microcline is cool, it's all teal and it's even ;like that IRL.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2011, 02:34:05 pm »

Wow, sounds like it's going to take a while... Maybe leave it running overnight? (yes, which is one of the things you don't do in DF)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »

My goal as you can see is to blind any user trying to find out its secrets.

Total evilness D:<

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2011, 03:02:19 pm »

Wow, sounds like it's going to take a while... Maybe leave it running overnight? (yes, which is one of the things you don't do in DF)

I'll take a guess and say i'm 75% done for the 0.1 release. Some parts like the big one that I just finished I could designate 300 linkages and leave it alone for a while, but it still needs constant attention.

I was in error before, TWO pressure plates need to be linked to the 480 gear cluster (backspace and clear), also some levers so I can switch them to their off position they start as.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »

Make sure you add some sort of killswitch-like mechanism to it, like dumping magma on the parts so they'll stop trying to take over the world.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31