Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 112204 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (WIP)
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2011, 11:40:03 pm »

I don't think windmills cause lag at all actually. Think about it - wind isn't actually represented in the game, so a windmill is just a 3x3 building that makes power.

But the windmills and all the gears and axles will animate, so I don't know. I'm not taking any chances.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2011, 05:06:00 am »

I don't think windmills cause lag at all actually. Think about it - wind isn't actually represented in the game, so a windmill is just a 3x3 building that makes power.

But the windmills and all the gears and axles will animate, so I don't know. I'm not taking any chances.

There might be some calculations, but the graphics rendering part of dwarf fortress (the few hertz that it needs) are multithreaded, and won't impact your performance unless your computer is really stressed.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2011, 05:13:22 am »

Those grey things in the power lines are gear assemblies right? How did you manage to make them all deactivated so that the dwarves can walk through them?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2011, 12:05:25 pm »

They can always be walked through, as long as there is a floor below.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2011, 10:36:50 pm »

After many a build I learnt they can walk through axles / gears useful ... *facepalm*
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2011, 06:05:00 am »

Damn, how many trees died in the making of this? >:D

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2011, 02:30:51 pm »

Damn, how many trees died in the making of this? >:D

0, I modded free reactions of many materials so I could colour code things as I please (as well as so I don't need to worry about anything but the project at hand).

The first linking that i'm doing is the hatches that make up the display, of which I changed from schist brown to microcline blue so it looks better. I never thought I would talk about microcline like that... *shudder*

I wasn't sure if I wanted the keyboard to support mathimatical operators like plus and minus, but if I don't and I decide later that I want them it will be a serious pain, so i'll be adding them as well as a reset lever that clears the display (backspacing an entire sentance one letter at a time would be quite the ordeal).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2011, 03:15:51 pm »

AaaaaaaAaAaAAAAAwwWwww. I am disappoint.

At the same time though, I am jaw-droppingly stunned.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2011, 03:49:34 pm »

I can't wait to see the maze of axles and gears it sounds like it's going to take to link the levers up to the hatches... That sounds like it'll be mind-bending in itself.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2011, 04:03:25 pm »

Just the word processor is amazing enough -- but an ELIZA on it? Mind-boggling. Best of luck though! I want to see a GLaDORF chatbot!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2011, 04:14:52 pm »

So, have you considered making the word processor into an interpreter and writing your own dwarven programming language?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »

I can't wait to see the maze of axles and gears it sounds like it's going to take to link the levers up to the hatches... That sounds like it'll be mind-bending in itself.

The hatches are actually linked to the pressure plates in the gigantic mass of pumps and plates of which there are screenshots of earlier in the topic. The keyboard levers are linked to gears that power a pump that activates a pressure plate, and that's the plate that tells the fields of pressure plates what letter is to be shown.

So, have you considered making the word processor into an interpreter and writing your own dwarven programming language?

That would be a monster of a project in of itself, so probably not. The principle might not be so different then what I want the A.I. to be; recognizing commands and calculating a result/response. If I can get this to work then it might be possible. But not right now  :P

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2011, 04:49:09 pm »

All 32 user-display tiles linked up at a cost of 960 mechanisms (the AI-display can wait):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was probably the easiest to link up. Onto gear building and linking.

Adding pumps and pressure plates to support the mathimatical operator and 'clear' levers were no problem. Figuring out the gearing to clear the display was pretty easy too. I basically took my backspacing setup and removed the precautions I had set in place that limited the backspace to 1. It was really neat to watch it clear the mock display on my mini version. It doesn't clear everything all at once, it's more or less a backspace put on full-automatic. I'm really looking forward to typing a whole 32 character sentence and watching the dominoes fall when I hit the clear lever  :D

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »

Just saying, but... already CPUs with many millions of transistors haven't got the processing power for truly elaborate AIs. How can one even hope to accomplish that in DF?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2011, 06:13:19 pm »

With SCIENCE, obviously.
And possibly dark magicks and whispered deals with elder beings.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31