Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 112151 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (WIP)
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2011, 08:14:26 am »

I examined the quote carefully to try to figure out what great changes you made and finally noticed all you changed was the quote author. Blargh. I'm sleepy.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2011, 02:14:14 pm »

A self-taught C++ programmer (did I infer correctly which language?) is attempting to build an AI in Dwarf Fortress. I cannot help but give this my fullest support. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Thinking outside of the box will be necessary for this project, and they simply do not wish to. Luckily, most of Bay12 is willing to. That's why we play the game in the first place.

The speed at which this thing runs is not an important issue right now. Just getting the thing to work should be and is the first and foremost goal. Once it works, then optimizations can be considered.

Don't let roadblocks get in your way. Though they may seem impossible to overcome now, if you keep trying, eventually you will succeed. And, the more problems you solve, the better you get at solving them. Each setback will seem less major than the last. Quitting is for elves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

C++, yes. I've read C++ Primer Plus I think it's called and done all the little projects on Visual Studio.

Quite honestly though, I haven't needed to use ANY of the things I learned from that book. I'm really not sure that knowing a program language of any kind can help you with Dwarfputing. You don't need to know what an AND is to know that power will only pass through 2 gears if both are on or any of that sort of logic. Really the only thing I learned from it that I can put to use in DF is how binary works and the different ways you can manipulate binary sequences like bitshifting to serve your purpose.

If any knowledge outside DF can help with Dwarfputing it's probably computer engineering. Knowing how RAM, cashes, registers and CPUs work, that's information that will help in making efficient designs. With the simplicity of gears, pressure plates and levers, almost everyone on this forum is verse in the dwarven programming language. It's the physical shit that leads to "Fuck it" moments. You know?

I'm definately trying to optimize this as I go along, but yeah, speed isn't a big issue so long as FPS doesn't get to unbearable levels. If it takes a minute real time for the A.I. to respond, i'll just be happy that it responded at all.

Back on the subject of the project, i'm going to run a few more tests on the advancer. I don't want this built with all the hundreds of linkages set only to find out that there's a 1 in 10 chance something will happen out of order and mess everything up. After that I want to look into backspacing. I haven't gone through it, but i'm hoping that with some additional linkages I can reverse the advancement and reset the previous tile.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:29:11 pm by BloodBeard »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »

How I knew you were a C++ programmer:

I feel like i'm sounding like an idiot to people who know the correct terms for some of these things. The controller that i'm talking about which takes in keyboard input and sends that information off to other components to be used and/or stored, would that be something like a preprocessor or an input/output stream?

For the record, preprocessors are programs that run on code to get it ready for compilation (or interpretation, but not as common), and input/output streams are wrappers for what actually goes on in the communication between a user, files on a disk, and the program.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »

Interested to see how this turns out, I am completely inept with computers so all of this is alien to me. But if you do get this to work I will praise you! I WILL GIVE YOU A NICE GIANT PACKAGE! (Don't worry about the snarling and the airholes, they arent important)
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2011, 04:20:04 pm »

Damn, you actually built that didn't you? The ore veins and floor don't match my screenshots.

Actually, I didn't. I'm just very good at GIMP.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:11 pm »

Interested to see how this turns out, I am completely inept with computers so all of this is alien to me. But if you do get this to work I will praise you! I WILL GIVE YOU A NICE GIANT PACKAGE! (Don't worry about the snarling and the airholes, they arent important)

Instead of office chair package contained bobcat.

Would not buy again.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2011, 10:23:33 pm »

I too cannot wait to see the end result.

Also, I keep reading your name as "Alestorm"

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2011, 02:54:38 am »

Good news, the advancer is pretty much mechanically impossible to fuck up unless you flip the levers too fast. Bad news is backspacing is providing me with more brain hurts.

It's working somewhat. Stratigically draining both of the previously flooded pressure plates will indeed erase your last input and let you continue from there, but it's not repeatable atm. What I need to do is find the right combination of starting gear positions and linkages to the gears that provide power to the draining pumps. There's just so many fucking combinations... and it's impossible to know if one will work unless I follow the hundred linkages to the ending positions. Time will probably solve this.

Luckily notepad works just fine as a testing platform to figure these things out. This is what i'm using for the advancement and backspace designing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1 is an engaged gear and 0 is disengaged. All the T-0's are what I need to find positions for to drain the water (F)illed pressure plates, where the top two need to both be active to send power to the pump. Eh... I don't feel like explaining everything. I just want to show you the cause of my recent headaches.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2011, 10:02:15 am »

My brain just turned to mush and dribbled out on my keyboard.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »

Then I probably shouldn't post the new version that threw in a whole 'nother level of complexity...

Long story short, I think I found the solution to backspacing. I ran into the same problem I had with advancing where it was mechanically impossible without adding more pressure plates and pumps. At first I thought "Fuck... i'm going to have to add another cell aren't I?", but I found a work around that only needs a single additional pressure plate and pump. When the backspace lever is pulled, 2 pressure plates will do all the gear changing (letters only need 1). One will do the reverse advancement, and the other temporarily disconnects a set of gears that would otherwise send power to the wrong pump and fuck shit up.

The bad news... I need to rebuild that testing version AGAIN to test it. I should probably invest in a more permanent, semi-large version somewhere out of the way because it's a given that i'm going to need one for, well, everything.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2011, 05:25:34 pm »

Then I probably shouldn't post the new version that threw in a whole 'nother level of complexity...

Long story short, I think I found the solution to backspacing. I ran into the same problem I had with advancing where it was mechanically impossible without adding more pressure plates and pumps. At first I thought "Fuck... i'm going to have to add another cell aren't I?", but I found a work around that only needs a single additional pressure plate and pump. When the backspace lever is pulled, 2 pressure plates will do all the gear changing (letters only need 1). One will do the reverse advancement, and the other temporarily disconnects a set of gears that would otherwise send power to the wrong pump and fuck shit up.

The bad news... I need to rebuild that testing version AGAIN to test it. I should probably invest in a more permanent, semi-large version somewhere out of the way because it's a given that i'm going to need one for, well, everything.
Seriously, this blows my mind that DF could be capable of doing anything like making a notepad at all. If my vote counts, I second the nomination for the Hall of Legends. If not, I do it honorarily.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2011, 05:29:11 pm »

It's already got its required votes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2011, 06:12:16 pm »

It's already got its required votes.
Eh, see what I know? lol - I thought it had to be voted in, the more votes the better. Didn't realize it already made it. But oh well, I still do it honorarily.

edit: blah, I didn't read anything other than the first page of the HoL thread, and I didn't see it there, so... Never even crossed my mind to check the recent posts.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:15:47 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2011, 06:21:26 pm »

Embrace the machine.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2011, 08:29:28 pm »

I'm definately trying to optimize this as I go along, but yeah, speed isn't a big issue so long as FPS doesn't get to unbearable levels. If it takes a minute real time for the A.I. to respond, i'll just be happy that it responded at all.
A minute would be ridiculously fast for something designed in DF - for something of this magnitude, I'd be surprised if it took less than an hour to respond.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31