Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 112157 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (WIP)
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2011, 06:16:35 pm »

With SCIENCE, obviously.
And possibly dark magicks and whispered deals with elder beings.

IA CPU!
CPU F'TAGN!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »

It would probably hurt FPS more then the A.I, so i'm thinking about using wind. If I pave the sky with windmills I can output 50-60k Uristwatts.

This is the part where I just started laughing like a madman. It's like a real world engineer saying "What would it take to power this super computer? A complete bio-dome made of a solar panels? Well, I'll get right on that."

Truly epic, no false internet praise about it. I hope you can finish before you have an aneurism from your brain trying to hold all this relevant information at once. The physicality of the whole thing is enough to make me want to see an artist's rendition of what the fort would look like. Windmill Ceiling and all. You can kind of already see a work force of 200 hundred dwarves slaving away at this ancient, strange machine designed to output letters.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:23:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2011, 04:01:52 pm »

Just saying, but... already CPUs with many millions of transistors haven't got the processing power for truly elaborate AIs. How can one even hope to accomplish that in DF?

One can accomplish anything with an awesome beard.

(And yes, I have a beard. Hail Urist!)

Things are moving along quite nicely. The gears that I decided to link up first are the ones that determine what character will be displayed:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The 15 blue gears there when engaged send power to the 15 pumps above, activating pressure plates that control the 15 hatches that make up 1 display tile. An average of 21 linkages have been made to each of the gears to support 44 potential characters, that's 317 individual linkages per 15-gear section, and I have to do that 32 times (not including the A.I. sections).

Yeah, it's going to be rough, but it won't be as bad as it sounds. While I was linking all the characters I was recording macros for each. I only need to load a characters' macro, execute it on the appropriately labeled pressure plate and repeat for each 15 gear section. (I probably would have given up on this a long time ago if it wasn't for macros...)

I made a copy of the game file to test the characters, making sure I linked them correctly. I got power sent down to the section I just  made and even got water down in the channels. The keyboard isn't hooked up yet so my dwarves have to man (dwarf?) the pumps for each character. When characters' pressure plate is activated, the letter 'A' for this example, power gets send to the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 11th and 14th gears, sending power to these pumps:

These then activate more pressure plates that open their respective hatches on the display resulting in this:

AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2011, 02:34:50 am »

What's that sound, Carol?
PROGRESS, MY DEAR URIST. PROGRESS.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2011, 04:42:09 am »

how could i miss this?!
may the gods watch over you and may madness be born!

"in recent news an AI has finally been created. inside a game. scientists around the world are going mad for not having thought about it."
"the ai demands more magma"
"the ai states that it needs still more magma"
"volcanoes around the world are exploding"
"we...are...MAGMAAAA"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2011, 05:17:20 am »

"in recent news an AI has finally been created. inside a game. scientists around the world are going mad for not having thought about it."
"we...are...MAGMAAAA"

:P

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:29 am »

"we...are...MAGMAAAA"

Why is that guy upset? I'm so confused.

Also, BloodBeard, what exactly is your plan for the AI?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2011, 01:52:55 pm »

No real plan, i'm just winging it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2011, 03:05:38 pm »

Interesting approach. People should use this more often. For example, the fusion reactor prototypes like the Stellarator have been planned about 30 years ago now. First they had to wait 10 years until supercomputers existed, and they're still taking ages. Why didn't they just go ahead and build it on the go? Energy problems would be solved by now!

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2011, 04:43:38 pm »

"we...are...MAGMAAAA"

Why is that guy upset? I'm so confused.

I guess his brain can just not take the level of awesomeness and explodes.
Or he wants to share this wonder with everyone and is just mad because he is so happy.
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »

Please don't forget: It's not a wonder yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2011, 12:50:35 am »

*sprays water bottle*

Tsk! Hey! No! Bad forum users, bad!

My little project is starting to become not so little, it has now passed Jong's Dwarven Computer mechanism count of 8,500. All the more reason for me to refuse to do the final calculations for the final amount because I know I haven't even put a dent in the number of linkages needed still.

It's this frigging display man, it's a killer. Hopefully not of FPS.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31