Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Build the Blood Bowl - Shared challenge - (paid : 90$)  (Read 16724 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Build the Blood Bowl - Shared challenge - I pay (total : 30$)
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 04:35:31 pm »

Ok, stage 1 complete!

Stands will go on the right, past the canyon and water will flush through the field when a cat in a 7x7 room steps onto a plate. I need to move that beehive somehow though.

Building a wall/floor and deconstructing it should do, but I think a dirt road should do as well.

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 04:45:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starting on the layout.  Forgive for the primitivity, this is the late summer of the first year >_>
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' about the shaft!"
"Then we can dig it."

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 04:54:50 pm »

Internal Annual Report: Year 2
Thikut Tradetowers, Foreman of the Bloodbowl Project
"Major construction is, as of now, essentially complete -- there's a little more roofing to be done over the grandstands, but it pales in comparison to what we've already done, which means our need for masons is dying off compared for our need for talented glaziers and smiths. 

With a population of 45 we're feeling almost like a real fortress... which frightens me.  I certainly hope the royals don't expect me to manage this hellhole once it opens.  We're somewhat short on food, massively short on beds, and critically lacking in sociable company.  I've had to appoint a bookkeeper to track this mess.  It could be worse -- we're neither starving nor dry

The ground floor is basically done -- we still need the hatch covers for the end zones, but that's going to be a silver hungry process.  As you can see, any row across the field can be annihilated by ballista fire, as per my instructions.  The north facing ballistas shoot blue, the south-facing ones yellow.  As a matter of defense engineering, I might actually appreciate the killing field we have here.

The stands, including sky boxes for nobles at each endzone.  Above this, there's nothing but an ordinary roof.  We haven't placed the stadium seating yet, due to what seems to be a general refusal to put chairs outside, but that will come.

Some of my fellows have assured me we could play a round as is.  While I have no stomach for the sort, a bunch of our masons took up a pick up game.  It was far less barbaric than the official matches, almost fair, and it did prove the matter"

(anyway, this is basically the stadium.  the channeled endzones will be covered with silver hatch covers, attached to levers on the noble skyboxes, so they can drop anyone who looks to score on their side.  Ideally, it would be channeled all the way to magma, but a dozen z for a fatal fall will suffice.  A lot of clear glass windows are upcoming, to separate the stands from the field, but that's one hell of an industry so it might get a "mind the drop" slab instead.  I could probably call it "done" when all the chairs and hatch covers are in place, but the glass and levers will be a nice plus each)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »

Anyone know the name of the software that allows you to view your map in 3d?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 05:37:40 pm »

Anyone know the name of the software that allows you to view your map in 3d?
There are few:
"DF to minecraft" with Minecraft installed
Fortress Overseer, which is awesome
3d Dwarf, may or may not work for .31.25
Stonesense, but it's isometric instead of 3d

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 11:27:28 pm »

That close to finishing when I realized that it was probably worth it to just make it all floors of bauxite.  augh, gonna need a lot more bauxite.  let's get at it.
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"Then we can dig it."

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 04:47:17 am »

Ok, stage 1 complete!

Stands will go on the right, past the canyon and water will flush through the field when a cat in a 7x7 room steps onto a plate. I need to move that beehive somehow though.
Stage 1 approved. Thank you.  :)

That close to finishing when I realized that it was probably worth it to just make it all floors of bauxite.  augh, gonna need a lot more bauxite.  let's get at it.
That is a lot of bauxite for a nice huge field. :o
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:54:22 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2011, 05:00:57 am »

The ground floor is basically done -- we still need the hatch covers for the end zones, but that's going to be a silver hungry process.  As you can see, any row across the field can be annihilated by ballista fire, as per my instructions.  The north facing ballistas shoot blue, the south-facing ones yellow.  As a matter of defense engineering, I might actually appreciate the killing field we have here.

Given that ballista arrows don't necessarily travel in a straight line, this will be fun for all concerned. It does raise the possibility of a new game though: ballista duels. Has anyone tried this?

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Build the Blood Bowl - Shared challenge - I pay (total : 40$)
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 05:31:22 am »

Construction work on the grand arena has just started:

I had to zoom out a bit because its quite large. What you see so far are the digging designations for the lines (which I will then floor with something bright)
When it's finished, it'll have surface access on one side, while barracks (aka player quarters) are on the other side. Invaders have to play with my teams to get into my fortress. It'll also double as general roman-style arena with gladiator battles etc. I plan to dig all the way up to surface (~18 levels) and getting it a glass roof for light. Also I will make multi-level rings with seats for spectators around it, with some VIP-cabins made of glass, overlooking the whole thing, and a commentary booth.

I really needed a megaproject :D
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 06:05:17 am »

Gives me an idea for when I have some spare cash. For every gruesome elf death, I pledge 1 dollar to donate to toadyone. Ill put this into R&D

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 10:04:34 am »

Gives me an idea for when I have some spare cash. For every gruesome elf death, I pledge 1 dollar to donate to toadyone. Ill put this into R&D

If it matters, I will post at least one "game": the Goblin team vs. Dwarf Migrants!

That is a lot of bauxite for a nice huge field. :o

Damn straight it is! :D Notice how all the materials (microcline to be replaced with orthoclase) are magma safe, kehehehehehe.

magma jets from above.  there, I said it.

Probably going to DFHack the magma in, but my plan is to have either levers or pressure plates to trigger tanks of magma to let out their dorfen beauty on whoever is there.
"Shut your mouth!"
"Then we can dig it."

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 11:29:05 am »

Presenting the humble Blood Bowl arena of Fencewills.

Up top is the seating for onlookers, complete with refreshment stockpiles (still need to be filled).

Not pictured are the holding cells down below. Currently "recruiting" a gobbo team, next will be elves, probably.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »

Okay, here's Slideflag's field:
Spoiler: large image (click to show/hide)
The trench around the perimeter will house the first tier of seating (I always imagined players 'falling off' the pitch), and the dugouts will be under the pitch. The markings are made of marble.

The closest I've seen to actual sport in DF is when an ogre threw a tame duck ~50 tiles, landing just a few tiles from its colleague. Needless to say the second ogre just stamped on the poor thing, but at least they were trying. And ducks are sort of the right shape...

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 12:31:30 pm »

A bug has crippled progress; I'm experiencing http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4282 with floors.
"Shut your mouth!"
"Then we can dig it."

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »

She is done! I mined out ALL the bauxite on the map, and didn't have enough so it was time for some battleground details.  All of it is magmasafe.  All that's left to make are the spectator seating.

You may notice the secondary village going on to the north.  They are dwarves who were so eager for the first tournament, they're literally camping out to get the best seating! :D  Unfortunately, I have the strong suspicion that the away team will come through and kill them all as practice... but all's well that ends well in Blood Bowl.
"Shut your mouth!"
"Then we can dig it."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5