Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Lost & Found thread - WHERE THE HELL YE ALL WENT?  (Read 4415 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Lost & Found thread - WHERE THE HELL YE ALL WENT?
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2011, 11:05:01 pm »

I have noticed this. But where has she gone? I hope she's okay...

...With being a supervillain.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2011, 11:32:51 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new geometrically precise dessert overlords?

There, that meme is out of the way now. Anyway, she did mention in one of these threads around here that she felt a need for a change in her life and spending less time here might be a part of that, but I obviously don't know if that's connected or coincidental.

Also, whatever happened to Kurtulmak?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2011, 11:35:50 pm »

Right here.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:35:49 pm by Kurtulmak »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2011, 11:49:24 pm »

THE GOD. HE AWAKES!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2011, 12:15:39 am »

I find it hard to believe I'm actually worrying a bit about what is essentially an imaginary internet person I hardly know...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2011, 12:46:23 am »

Wasn't it the IRC dogpiling mass bans?

The bans that have since been inexplicably removed from the moderation log, and at least one of which involved allegations of people "trolling for Dasleah" despite not having anything to do with Dasleah at all? The ones where apparently, a few people agreeing on something was ban-worthy? Yeah, that was around that time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2011, 01:17:18 am »

I wouldn't say "inexplicably" since Toady gave an explanation (which was that he thought it was getting cluttered and that after a couple of months everybody who cared had pretty much got the picture). It could be argued that this defeats the purpose of a log, and it could also be argued that there's got to be a cutoff somewhere since you otherwise end up with an arbitrarily long log that becomes difficult to navigate. You could argue about a lot of things here, and there's probably a reasonable discussion to be had here about the whole thing.

I don't think we're going to have that conversation, though. Everybody who cares has an opinion at this point, and I don't think any of them are going to change. But it might be fun to argue back and forth for a few pages, accomplishing nothing, and then give up in exasperation and let the thread die, then bring it up again in a few months in the hope that maybe, this time, people will actually think about what you have to say, having had time to cool off. I guess.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2011, 01:58:51 am »

I wouldn't say "inexplicably" since Toady gave an explanation (which was that he thought it was getting cluttered and that after a couple of months everybody who cared had pretty much got the picture). It could be argued that this defeats the purpose of a log, and it could also be argued that there's got to be a cutoff somewhere since you otherwise end up with an arbitrarily long log that becomes difficult to navigate. You could argue about a lot of things here, and there's probably a reasonable discussion to be had here about the whole thing.

What's wrong with having a very long log on a forum that's apparently okay with dozens-of-pages-long threads about nothing in particular? A few kilobytes of text don't matter. Even multiple posts would be fine, arranged chronologically. I really don't see a reason to ever delete things from the moderation log, except for temporary things like mutes when they expire, especially when the purpose of the log is to provide transparency.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2011, 02:09:15 am »

You will note that I did actually present an argument that agrees that deleting it was unnecessary as well as the one you object to, and I happen to think that the one against deletion is the more convincing. The second paragraph was really the more important, and I don't think you're doing a good job of presenting your viewpoint in a way that will prove that one wrong.

To be blunt, and (I'll be honest) a little insulting to you, try to be a bit less blatant with coloring your language if you want to convince people, and don't even bother posting if you just want to complain about moderation decisions. I apologize for that, but I don't think you're going to accomplish anything but bickering this way.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2011, 02:19:31 am »

You will note that I did actually present an argument that agrees that deleting it was unnecessary as well as the one you object to, and I happen to think that the one against deletion is the more convincing. The second paragraph was really the more important, and I don't think you're doing a good job of presenting your viewpoint in a way that will prove that one wrong.

I was just responding to one of the arguments you outlined, it wasn't some kind of personal attack. Regarding the second paragraph, I think you're probably right, although I'm honestly not sure the issue of things being deleted from the moderation log has been brought up before.

To be blunt, and (I'll be honest) a little insulting to you, try to be a bit less blatant with coloring your language if you want to convince people, and don't even bother posting if you just want to complain about moderation decisions. I apologize for that, but I don't think you're going to accomplish anything but bickering this way.

You probably have a point, but I don't do things just to cause bickering, I wasn't the one to initially bring up the subject, and while I'm aware that sometimes I can be a little caustic, I still find it useful to comment on subjects that get brought up that have never really been terribly resolved in the first place, especially when I feel the widespread perception of it differs from what I know. You can feel free to disagree with that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2011, 02:26:24 am »

Well, fair enough. I don't have much of an emotional investment in it so my own bias is to ignore it and move on - which is obviously not fair to the people who do have friends who were banned and so on, or who otherwise disagree with the status quo to whatever extent. Anyway, I've said my bit of cynicism and I appreciate the response.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2011, 07:09:18 am »

So Vector has been missing for a week with no notice. For someone that's that active it's unusual.

Now she could have given the forum a break, or gotten wrapped up in something or stuck without internet.

But I'm inclined to assume the worst.

She has turned evil and is now taking over the world with her kendo mathamancy. We all knew it had to happen one day.

Only the power of our combined Ignorance can stop her now!
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]