Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Forge Brute Force Access  (Read 1956 times)

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Forge Brute Force Access
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:38:19 am »

Ok so ive recently been using Reveal alot (mainly because im sick to death of putting lots of effort into establishing a fort and trying to find both a magma pipe AND useful metal deposits (if i embark on one more site where the only metal available is tin im going to kill thousands of kittens) and its been working out fine. Normally i embark check underground and if everything is ok i turn it back off and get on with legit gameplay.

Unfortunately i recently left the reveal on and after some hours of gameplay i inevitably got things stable, stacked up a rediculous amount of mining projects and decided to go get some dinner (at this stage all autosaves are with reveal on). Of course when i come back the computer had crashed to spite me and im now stuck because i cant unlock the magma workshops (and caverns, but they are useless anyway).

Ive had a search around the forums for a solution but nothing came up. Ironically most threads simply get the "this is answered in other threads" response, but conveniently these threads with answers are not readily available or easy to find.

Therefore (tl;dr): I need to unlock the magma utilities. Is there some way to brute force my save game into accessing these? Like is there some coding or numbers hidden away i can change to unlock them? Or is there someway i can un-reveal the map? (the unreveal command doesnt work on revealed maps when you close and restart the utility).

Normally i would simply know that i have to abandon and regen the world but im really not keen on losing a good days worth of building a very, very nice fortress :/

Thanks in advance.

edit: ive found tools like this but they all seem out of date for current version.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:42:47 am by Kruor »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Magma Forge Brute Force Access
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:45:37 am »

Seal off all of the caverns and the magma sea (using constructed walls), then run the DFHack tool "revflood" to unreveal everything not accessible to your fortress. Once that's done, dig back into the caverns and magma sea and they should be discovered properly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:54:28 am »

Hmm that looked like it might work.

I revflood-ed but the magma pipe was still visible to me. The site actually had 2 magma pipes and since i had only accessed one of them i experimented with the other one to see if digging into it would trigger the discovery but nothing happened :/

That leaves me the option of some mod that enables them, something that triggers the notification at will or changing the hard coding of the save game. Im sure there must be something that can satisfy one of these :D

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:07:24 am »

Turns out there IS a utility.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=443

Unfortunately i cant get it working. The utility keeps checking to see if DF is running (and it is) but it doesnt think so. Ive tried running it in the same folder as the exe (which is what i would expect needs to happen) but it doesnt work.
Any protips?

Isnt there some document in the raw that i can just go in and edit the magma smelter to NOT require finding magma? (ive looked, there isnt, but surely some hacker for want of a better word could easily make something that overrides this)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:17:06 am by Kruor »

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:07:56 am »

I think you can change the reactions in the raws to not require coal, so you don't need a magma smelter.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:27:45 pm »

I kinda had the opposite "problem" Magma forges and smelters were enabled at the first moment of embark before I even dug into the ground. There was no magma in sight either. In that fort, the only things changed from vanilla settings are lower pop cap, no invaders and no artifacts. I use no mods.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:48:36 pm »

Probably there is a magma tube somewhere below you or something like that. It isn't that big of a problem since you are unable to build magma buildings without magma even if they are enabled.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.