Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: typical fortress lifespan?  (Read 6871 times)

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
typical fortress lifespan?
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:31:34 pm »

what is the average lifespan of a fortress? i have my best ever right now and it is nearly 10 years old. the first year it died after some break down with my soldiers hoarding food and a bunch of people dying when I ordered my guys to kill our first caravan, and they started killing our own people too.

I reclaimed it the next spring and have almost held it for 9 years now and have over 1.1 million wealth, before this my longest living one was 6-7 years.

What is the average lifespan of your fortresses?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: typical fortress lifespan?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:32:54 pm »

It's probably in the middle for me. I have some very, very long-lived forts, but they're counterbalanced by my tendency to ditch most of my forts early on when I realize I'm not interested in playing them long-term.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:33:03 pm »

My first usually end up falling to OCD or restartism within three years. About half of them don't even make it past one.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:36:24 pm »

For serious fortresses I usually hit year 14 before the FPS hit becomes unbearable and it takes a couple hours to go through a year.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:38:11 pm »

huh. im tempted to abandon mine to play adventurer in my world for a bit and check the legends, but i dont want to lose my best yet fort. even if i reclaim it it will take years to clean up and sometimes my dwarves wont clean up some stuff from past occupations for some reason

edit: @ above, thats rougly how long it takes for me to go through a year... lol.

Say if i dont have lava any advice on destroying junk items that take up my fps so i can progress faster?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:39:28 pm »

Crush your junk under a drawbridge.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:42:27 pm »

like drop it in a massive pit and it will be destroyed?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:45:00 pm »

Nah, just lower a drawbridge on top of it all. There's a reason they're called Dwarven Atom Smashers.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 11:47:34 pm »

goodie.

From what I gather my 1.1 mill almost 10 year old fortress is pretty good?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:50:48 pm »

2-5 years, normally. I am a firm believer in sticking with a fortress until the bitter end. The only fort I ever abandoned was the one that I used to find out just what an aquifer was.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:50:27 am by King DZA »

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 12:01:16 am »

o.0

also for some reason i havnt gotten a sheriff yet, but have a captain of the guard.

yay for the tenth year of DiamondChambers! (my fort name)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 02:15:23 am »

10 years seems about average for me. At that point, I've developed to the point where there's no real, credible threats left; that's ample time to get a legendary weapon and armorsmith and start pumping out masterwork steel gear, and with a military training from embark equipped with that there's no sieges that can really threaten me anymore. The depths might be a challenge, except that it takes so damned long for them to come to the battlefield that it's just boring, and it's too tempting to just put in an auto-killer hallway for them to go through, so somewhere between 10-15 years I tend to abandon out of boredom and start anew.

Part of my problem is that my ideas for megaprojects are either stupidly slow (the fort made entirely out of black bronze and rose gold... on maps without gold deposits) or basically require a new fort (the fort constructed entirely in cast-obsidian towers, with the underground as undespoiled as possible), so I either get bored doing them or have to start a new fort for them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 02:57:27 am »

I've been nursing my fortress along for 40 years, FPS is slowing me down a little but, by slowly selling off the junk and slaughtering bulk, useless animals helps, created fortress wealth is just a scrape under 20 million.  What is insane is the 46 artifacts my dorfs have created in moods - from utterly useless to mildly useless.  I did pop-cap at 70-ish, but the population has bred up to 105.

It's probably the only one of a dozen that I've managed to keep alive and puttering along.

Darkening Kaos, CIS, LUH.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 03:17:27 am »

My current fort, Tombwhipped, is on year 5, I think.  World year 105, started on 100.  It's one of my longer running forts.  I often die horribly or get bored within the first three or four years, though.  Fort wealth is at 2.4 million.  I think I'll try to stick with this one for awhile, I just got elevated to a barony for the first time.  The low pop cap helps, too.  If I have 100 dwarves before I've even gotten around to carving out a proper set of bedrooms, I feel overwhelmed. 
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 04:10:06 am »

Most of my fortresses die to FPS loss.
Pages: [1] 2 3