Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any particular reason why my broker is incompetent?  (Read 1148 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any particular reason why my broker is incompetent?
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:06:30 pm »

I request a trader at the depot, turn off all his labors and all his noble responsibilities except broker, and i know there is a path to the depot as dwarves pass by it all the time. Instead, he feels the need to harvest plants (something you can't seem to disable at all), and help with the bitch work of carrying items to the depot for trade. Any tips?

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any particular reason why my broker is incompetent?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:08:40 pm »

You can set only farmers to harvest if you want with the jobs menu (shortcut with o?) and he will always haul to the depot as far as I know.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:10:45 pm »

Let anyone trade. Merchants will feel better about the deal they're getting if they're getting it from a random drunk who was just passing by.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:14 pm »

and if you're a bit like the rest of us you're making a lot of random junk you're happy to sell anyway, so a little difference in the price wont matter
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »

Create a burrow that covers only the trade depot.  Assign your broker to it.  This still won't stop him from going on break or taking a nap, but at least he won't be able to take any jobs outside the trade depot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:23:20 pm »

Nvm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:27:03 pm by AzuredreamsXT »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:25:02 pm »

oh, btw, you can also turn off hauling labors
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »

I recently had this problem.  I would work and plead my broker to actually trade more than I ever did in getting my nephew to go to bed.  The one season I missed the human caravan; he stood on the bridge to the depot, in the same screen, for a month.  Telling me he had no job.

So I fired him, hired a new broker, and this one goes immediately.  I don't even have to turn off his usual labors.  He'll stop butchering the second I tell him trading needs done.  My guess is the dwarf's personality affects whether or not they'll rush to the job.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 06:13:09 pm »

almost forgot that, they have personality. A broker that dislikes talking to strangers and is prone to procrastinating WILL take longer than one with a big sense of duty, a lot of energy, who likes a challenge and socializing, plushelping others

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 06:58:44 pm »

I also try to pick a broker that sounds like he has a head for numbers (he's the guy that tells you how much things are worth) and knows/can-learn languages.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »

I always see the broker as the guy who sets prices, while the actual trading is open to whoever, this has the side benefit of training up replacement brokers for the day when the original starts to miss their "upper body".
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:01:16 pm »

I very often simply put my broker in the army in a squad all by himself, and send him to the front lines. Sometimes he surprises me by doing the most work he's ever done in his whole life by simply standing up and going where I tell him to.
...but just sometimes.  ::)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 09:33:34 am »

I always see the broker as the guy who sets prices, while the actual trading is open to whoever, this has the side benefit of training up replacement brokers for the day when the original starts to miss their "upper body".
The problem is, he had to actually do some trading in order to get the skills to see what things are worth.  I've had a couple of forts were the first caravan did not bring much, and I didn't have much made to sell, so the broker failed to have enough experience to provide me with any value listings.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 10:20:16 am »

Your broker is incompetent just becasue he is a dwarf.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.