Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Noob guide requested  (Read 30722 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Noob guide requested
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2011, 10:48:12 am »

Squiggly q thing?  You mean the parentheses around the word (Tame)?  I expected there to be a male ♂ or female ♀ symbol rather than the parentheses telling me which gender the animal is.  In any case, I still can't figure out which animal is male or female.  The spacing as well as the parentheses around the word Tame are exactly the same for every animal.  I thought that there would be SOME sort of difference that I could detect, but I can't find any.  A Stray Blue Peahen (Tame) has the exact same symbols and spacing in its name as every other Stray Blue Blue Peahen (Tame).

I find it interesting, however, that some animals have actual names.  The descriptions of the animals are still a little hard to read, though, seeing as how all punctuation in the game is replaced with rectangular boxes.  I haven't a clue why the designer of the game decided to not use punctuation.

Honestly, if you weren't a noob, I would be ragin' right now;P
Look, just use the vanilla ASCII graphics, and the description of the animals have their own display, if you have bloody grass in your description screen, you're doing it wrong :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 04:50:06 pm »

Honestly, if you weren't a noob, I would be ragin' right now;P
Look, just use the vanilla ASCII graphics, and the description of the animals have their own display, if you have bloody grass in your description screen, you're doing it wrong :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Sorry for being such a noob.  :(

So, that's what the original ASCII default's supposed to look like?  Since the texture pack I'm using right now doesn't have the gender symbols in any of the lists, I guess that I can switch back whenever I'm doing anything important with animals, like buying t hem from traders.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2011, 05:01:58 pm »

I don't like graphic thingummywots, I'm an ASCII old timer!

Ha ha jks aside, being a noob is no one's fault... Dying as one is.
I think I got that saying wrong, but hey, losing is pretty much the best way to win DF :D

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 05:03:40 pm »

If animal genders are important enough to you that you need to pay specific attention to them, it's probably easier to just avoid using the texture pack. The game works fine in ASCII graphics, after all. Though you might want to change how engravings show up so that you don't get confused by trying to select an engraving of a dwarf, thinking it's your engraver. :P
More precisely, he left it at 'retract' which is the default. Make it a raising bridge.
Specifically, you can do this by using "w/a/s/d" to select the direction the bridge raises in (N/W/S/E, respectively). The direction it raises in is the same direction that it counts as a wall for.
[...] losing is pretty much the best way to win DF :D
What is this "winning" you speak of? I only know of losing and !Fun!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2011, 05:04:19 pm »

also, small note, in the description:

blue peahen
blue peacock

only dogs and cats afaik lack the description for most domesticated animals
If you can look up a description, note that pronouns also change (he is mighty yet skinny)
and i think it has been told/ shown already, while in (v)iew mode, press g for gender, p for preference (slaughter y/n), i for inventory, w for wounds and z for ztatus (s was taken for slaughter)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2011, 05:07:01 pm »

If animal genders are important enough to you that you need to pay specific attention to them, it's probably easier to just avoid using the texture pack. The game works fine in ASCII graphics, after all. Though you might want to change how engravings show up so that you don't get confused by trying to select an engraving of a dwarf, thinking it's your engraver. :P
More precisely, he left it at 'retract' which is the default. Make it a raising bridge.
Specifically, you can do this by using "w/a/s/d" to select the direction the bridge raises in (N/W/S/E, respectively). The direction it raises in is the same direction that it counts as a wall for.
I don't like graphic thingummywots, I'm an ASCII old timer!

Ha ha jks aside, being a noob is no one's fault... Dying as one is.
I think I got that saying wrong, but hey, losing is pretty much the best way to win DF :D
What is this "winning" you speak of? I only know of losing and !Fun!

I always judge my fortresses on their ruins, of course they all crumble in the end, but if you've managed to create a labyrinth for your adamantine clad minatour guest, filled with traps and dwarf ingenuity, or personally tea bagged hell, then I think you've won.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »

I have recently found out that rainwater only collects in pools of n/7 if the area is both Inside and Light, Above Ground.

Are there any tips as to how I can make my areas Light, Above ground while enabling it to be Inside?  I'm trying to create a rainwater collection system.  So far, though, I haven't figured it out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »

No way possible to do this.

This is to stop people accidentally creating drainage basins right on top of their fortresses.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2011, 05:12:12 pm »

my first fort won by suicide from lack of alcohol. The second one was flooded by me accidentally. The third went into a spiral of depression as i found out about the atom smasher by practicing on citizen. the 4th was destroyed by 2 goblin thieves who couldnt find the way out and started killing anyone in sight. The 5th by a goblin ambush. The 6th by a forgotten beast. I'm hanging on for 3 years at this one, so far, looking good, tho no iron

losing is FUN
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2011, 05:18:01 pm »

No way possible to do this.

This is to stop people accidentally creating drainage basins right on top of their fortresses.

Oh, I see.  So water is a highly limited resource in my fortress, and I shouldn't be messing around with the rainwater collection zones.

Although, I think that I might be able to run rainwater through channels into a central cistern with floodgates.  I just need to figure out what floodgates are and how to use them.

I also find it interesting that newly born animals appear in my meeting hall.  It's always a bother to have to keep going back into the zoning menus and assign a newly born animal into their respective grazing herd, especially since the menu items aren't organized in any standardized fashion.  I'd really love it if I could alphabetize the animal lists.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2011, 05:23:34 pm »

Same, but that'd bring new problems:/
Plus, the only conceivable way I could think of a rainwater collection cistern, would be to harness murky pools, and drain them slowly into a collection point. You'd have to do it slowly though, otherwise the water would all evaporate :|

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2011, 06:04:26 pm »

Plus, the only conceivable way I could think of a rainwater collection cistern, would be to harness murky pools, and drain them slowly into a collection point. You'd have to do it slowly though, otherwise the water would all evaporate :|
All depends on the geography of the region - how often it rains, how quickly it evaporates and how quickly it just seaps through the ground.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2011, 06:13:42 pm »

All depends on the geography of the region - how often it rains, how quickly it evaporates and how quickly it just seaps through the ground.

Water in DF never drains, well at least not in Fortress mode. It will however evaporate if at 1/7 full, or in a hot/scorching biome.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2011, 06:19:46 pm »

I have another question:  can you sell furniture?

I'm piling up on tables, beds, thrones, and doors in expectation for more rooms and dining halls, but I've read that people can make furniture out of adamantine and other rare/valuable resources that I haven't encountered yet.  So eventually, I'll have to rid myself of all of my cheap chalk furniture.  I haven't found anything in the depot listing under "Furniture."  Is it possible to sell the stuff, or will I just have to dump it in a corner somewhere?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »

I have another question:  can you sell furniture?

I'm piling up on tables, beds, thrones, and doors in expectation for more rooms and dining halls, but I've read that people can make furniture out of adamantine and other rare/valuable resources that I haven't encountered yet.  So eventually, I'll have to rid myself of all of my cheap chalk furniture.  I haven't found anything in the depot listing under "Furniture."  Is it possible to sell the stuff, or will I just have to dump it in a corner somewhere?

You can trade them, just search for 'Chairs' 'Tables' or the material they're made of.
You could also surf through the 'all' list
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15