Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Noob guide requested  (Read 30713 times)

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob guide requested
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2011, 07:24:19 pm »

I have another question:  can you sell furniture?

I'm piling up on tables, beds, thrones, and doors in expectation for more rooms and dining halls, but I've read that people can make furniture out of adamantine and other rare/valuable resources that I haven't encountered yet.  So eventually, I'll have to rid myself of all of my cheap chalk furniture.  I haven't found anything in the depot listing under "Furniture."  Is it possible to sell the stuff, or will I just have to dump it in a corner somewhere?

You can trade them, just search for 'Chairs' 'Tables' or the material they're made of.
You could also surf through the 'all' list

I just found out that I can search for items with s.

I also just found out that I can sort items by either distance or by value with d, however the sorting by value doesn't seem to work quite right.

My main issue, though is trying to prevent my broker from performing any other action than "Go to Depot."
Training a broker's pretty much a worthless endeavor if you can't make your broker go to the depot when he's supposed to.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2011, 07:25:29 pm »

I have another question:  can you sell furniture?

I'm piling up on tables, beds, thrones, and doors in expectation for more rooms and dining halls, but I've read that people can make furniture out of adamantine and other rare/valuable resources that I haven't encountered yet.  So eventually, I'll have to rid myself of all of my cheap chalk furniture.  I haven't found anything in the depot listing under "Furniture."  Is it possible to sell the stuff, or will I just have to dump it in a corner somewhere?

You can trade them, just search for 'Chairs' 'Tables' or the material they're made of.
You could also surf through the 'all' list

I just found out that I can search for items with s.

I also just found out that I can sort items by either distance or by value with d, however the sorting by value doesn't seem to work quite right.

My main issue, though is trying to prevent my broker from performing any other action than "Go to Depot."
Training a broker's pretty much a worthless endeavor if you can't make your broker go to the depot when he's supposed to.

Well get used to it, or use burrows ^_^

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2011, 07:39:05 pm »

Burrows...that's where I can assign a sort of sub-home to particular dwarves, right?

Well, I don't really know how to use that yet, but I'll find out eventually.
For now, all of my dwarves are totally busy, with between 0 and 2 idlers at any given time.  Is that normal?  It seems efficient enough, but I'm worried that I've got a moshpit of dwarves sitting in a corner moving a lump of chalk back and forth.  I started to have zero idlers somewhere around the time I got about 60-70 dwarves.  Since then, I haven't been able to get a whole lot done, like building and depot hauling.  Sure, some items get hauled there, but you'd think that it'd get done a lot faster than it used to.

Also, I've decided to invest some cash into buying wooden armors from the elves.  Are they any good?  So far, I haven't been able to find out if I can produce my own wood armors, so I've resorted to buying the stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:40 pm »

Burrows...that's where I can assign a sort of sub-home to particular dwarves, right?

For now, all of my dwarves are totally busy, with between 0 and 2 idlers at any given time.  Is that normal?  It seems efficient enough, but I'm worried that I've got a moshpit of dwarves sitting in a corner moving a lump of chalk back and forth.  I started to have zero idlers somewhere around the time I got about 60-70 dwarves.  Since then, I haven't been able to get a whole lot done, like building and depot hauling.  Sure, some items get hauled there, but you'd think that it'd get done a lot faster than it used to.

Also, I've decided to invest some cash into buying wooden armors from the elves.  Are they any good?  So far, I haven't been able to find out if I can produce my own wood armors, so I've resorted to buying the stuff.

OH. MY. DWARF.

SUMMON THE INQUISITION! CALL THE ONE WHO RUNS WITH MAGMA!!!

You are walking on thin molten rock.
YOU DARE TRADE WITH THE ELVES?

[Jokes aside, wooden armour is relatively useless, and you would be best off burning that armour immediately. Don't bother trying to trade it back to the elves.
This will help you btw >THIS IS A WIKI<

Oh and 1-2 idle dwarves is ok, make sure you manage work profiles though, otherwise you get a lot of dwarves doing useless things.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2011, 07:54:43 pm »

Same, but that'd bring new problems:/
Plus, the only conceivable way I could think of a rainwater collection cistern, would be to harness murky pools, and drain them slowly into a collection point. You'd have to do it slowly though, otherwise the water would all evaporate :|
All depends on the geography of the region - how often it rains, how quickly it evaporates and how quickly it just seaps through the ground.

Water in DF never drains, well at least not in Fortress mode. It will however evaporate if at 1/7 full, or in a hot/scorching biome.
No, it does drain - only applies to murky pools, but there is a drainage parameter for the terrain. At very high drainage, water disappears from murky pools even if it's not a hot climate and grass turns to soil/dust pretty much as soon as someone steps on it. I used to search specifically for high rainfall and high drainage sites back in 40d because I liked having an abundance of trees but the water just vanishes so fast no matter how much it rains.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2011, 08:07:58 pm »

Same, but that'd bring new problems:/
Plus, the only conceivable way I could think of a rainwater collection cistern, would be to harness murky pools, and drain them slowly into a collection point. You'd have to do it slowly though, otherwise the water would all evaporate :|
All depends on the geography of the region - how often it rains, how quickly it evaporates and how quickly it just seaps through the ground.

Water in DF never drains, well at least not in Fortress mode. It will however evaporate if at 1/7 full, or in a hot/scorching biome.
No, it does drain - only applies to murky pools, but there is a drainage parameter for the terrain. At very high drainage, water disappears from murky pools even if it's not a hot climate and grass turns to soil/dust pretty much as soon as someone steps on it. I used to search specifically for high rainfall and high drainage sites back in 40d because I liked having an abundance of trees but the water just vanishes so fast no matter how much it rains.

Grass turns to soil/dust when people step on them because pretty much everything in DF has a grass_trample tag, which literally gets rid of grass and plants when stepped on:P
As for the murky pool drainage thing, I've never noticed that in Fortress mode. It has an effect on aquifers in world gen and historical mode, but other than that, I've not found any murky pool that doesn't lose water, unless it's been in a scorching/hot biome.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2011, 08:24:31 pm »

OH. MY. DWARF.

SUMMON THE INQUISITION! CALL THE ONE WHO RUNS WITH MAGMA!!!

You are walking on thin molten rock.
YOU DARE TRADE WITH THE ELVES?

[Jokes aside, wooden armour is relatively useless, and you would be best off burning that armour immediately. Don't bother trying to trade it back to the elves.
This will help you btw >THIS IS A WIKI<

Oh and 1-2 idle dwarves is ok, make sure you manage work profiles though, otherwise you get a lot of dwarves doing useless things.

I haven't created a manager yet, so I don't have profiles.  I'm just worried that the manager is going to be a useless unit that does next to nothing all day long.  Also, I looked up armor on the wiki, and it tells me that the breastplate is the best kind of armor, with a rating of 3, as compared to my leather armors, which have a rating of 1 or something like that.  So I just assumed that wood breastplates would be useful.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2011, 08:34:24 pm »

DF is as realistic as most games get... Minus a few physics oddities. The material an armour is made of is much more important than armour rating, which I believe is just used to check the amount of dwarf it covers.

And by work profile, I mean when you use the [v] tool, you can check, choose and change their jobs by going to [p], then [l] to begin meddling :P

And the manager can be useless, or your best friend. Basically, you give your manager orders, and your manager gives your dwarves orders.
Oh, and the manager can set workshop profiles.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2011, 08:43:26 pm »

I haven't found out what the workshop profiles do, yet.  Of course, I don't have a manager, so I won't be able to find out first-hand until I designate one of my very busy dwarves to the duty.  Personally, Dwarf Therapist is my best friend.  Its layout and interface is a hell of alot better than the one in the game.  If only I could use s to search for everything in all lists.  I haven't a clue why the game's designer didn't implement that.  You'd think that interface would be one of the first things that a designer goes for.  Then again, I've seen crappy ASCII style games before, and nearly the entire games' downfalls are due to a lack of a usable interface.  I suppose that Dwarf Fortress is the exception, but after playing it for a few days, I can tell you that the only reason why the interface doesn't make the game unplayable is largely due to alot of dumb luck on the designer's side.

I also found out how to designate my broker to a burrow.  It encompasses a sort of broker hut next to the depot as well as the meeting hall and food storeroom and the farms, so he can get his ass to work when he's busy not being a broker.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:47:33 pm by murlocdummy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2011, 08:45:46 pm »

Workshop profiles allow you to assign specific dwarves to them, or set a min/max skill level to use the workshop.

So you could have your legendary weaponsmith's make *Adamantine Breastplates* while your dabbler's make, melt and spam copper stuff.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2011, 09:16:08 pm »

Workshop profiles allow you to assign specific dwarves to them, or set a min/max skill level to use the workshop.

So you could have your legendary weaponsmith's make *Adamantine Breastplates* while your dabbler's make, melt and spam copper stuff.

Oh, a min/max skill level, that sounds pretty useful!  I might just make a manager, then.  Up till now, I've just been designating alot of skills across the board for more common activities, like masonry.

Also, I've noticed that my mayor has demanded a fine pewter cabinet in his room.  Since I don't have access to pewter, that's not going to happen.  What should I do?  Kill him, replace him, or just leave him be?  Should I try and increase his happiness in other ways so that he doesn't go around throwing tantrums, like making him have the best room in the fort?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2011, 09:23:00 pm »

Oh, a min/max skill level, that sounds pretty useful!  I might just make a manager, then.  Up till now, I've just been designating alot of skills across the board for more common activities, like masonry.

Also, I've noticed that my mayor has demanded a fine pewter cabinet in his room.  Since I don't have access to pewter, that's not going to happen.  What should I do?  Kill him, replace him, or just leave him be?  Should I try and increase his happiness in other ways so that he doesn't go around throwing tantrums, like making him have the best room in the fort?

His mandates being failed won't affect him at all.

It will however, affect the happiness of your resident dwarves, as they find themselves beaten to a fine paste by your Guard/Sheriff.

Build prisons, and make sure you have dwarves to keep them alive/a good prison system

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2011, 10:09:53 pm »

His mandates being failed won't affect him at all.

It will however, affect the happiness of your resident dwarves, as they find themselves beaten to a fine paste by your Guard/Sheriff.

Build prisons, and make sure you have dwarves to keep them alive/a good prison system

I went and looked up Demands.  It seems that Demands, as well as Mandates come and go.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2011, 10:13:15 pm »

You should get used to them. I actually enjoy building massive prisons full of the insane and the awesome:D

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2011, 10:19:51 pm »

You should get used to them. I actually enjoy building massive prisons full of the insane and the awesome:D

I have yet to build any prisons.  My dwarves are sufficiently happy so far, so it doesn't seem necessary to put anybody into a prison, however, my animal stockpile is filling up with various animal people and goblin thieves.  I heard that they die in the cages from hunger, but they haven't been doing that.  I've also heard that you can disarm them by stealing their weapons/clothes, but I don't see any clothes when I select them with k.

I've also seen that my farms seem to lose seeds every now and then.  I bought some dimple cup seeds, and now I have none.  I assume that crop failures occur, causing a crop to be lost after they've been planted?

Anyway, right now I've acquired a few weapons and armor, so I can actually begin equipping my military with them.  To equip stuff, I just go to the military screen, select a unit, then go into the equip menu and select items from the list, right?  And the items that they've already equipped are the items with symbols next to them on the right, if I'm not mistaken.  I also want to equip my civilians with armor.  Is there any way to do that?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:58:17 pm by murlocdummy »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15