Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The threat posed by war with elves  (Read 4651 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: The threat posed by war with elves
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 01:28:56 am »

Offer their Merchants wooden goods to piss them off.
Then kill their Merchants.
Make a bunch of axes (you'll need them anyway!), make everyone a woodcutter and deforest the whole map.
If they send someone to impose a woodcutting limit ignore it (do they actually do that? I read about it but so far I haven't seen it).

Real diplomacy isn't yet implemented :/
I don't think they send the diplomats any longer. In fact, I think they stopped around the same time their placeholder forest retreat things were removed. So... Chances are, they'll be back to threatening us for cutting down trees and/or mushrooms in the future.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 02:44:03 am »

it can be rough if you start off at war with them.
once i was ambushed by 3 squads in my second spring, 2 were mounted archers, 1 was mounted on unicorns.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 03:16:32 am »

How do I cause war with elves?

I've only ever seen wars happen during world gen, but sometimes they're not over before you embark.

You'll need to use Tab on the embark screen to reach the list of your civilizations. Select each one in turn and then Tab again until you reach the neighbours screen. If you're in a war with one of the races it'll say so next to their name. I've seen a couple of elven wars and one human one.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 04:53:48 am »

Their archers are dangerous. Thats about it...the odd swordmaster might be a bit of trouble but anybodies swordmaster is a bit of trouble.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 05:11:18 am »

-Melee elves = paltry offensive capabilities. They might get a lucky strike in but it's unlikely.
-Ranger elves = deadly, like most rangers.
-Elven war animals = deadly.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 06:13:21 am »

-Melee elves = paltry offensive capabilities. They might get a lucky strike in but it's unlikely.
-Ranger elves = deadly, like most rangers.
-Elven war animals = deadly. and Tasty

fixed
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 10:15:08 pm »

I once started a fort where my civ started at war with the treehuggers. This was when the underground was 15 z-levels max. The first spring was... fun. Suddenly ambushed by squads of mounted elf archers.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 10:19:37 pm »

How do I cause war with elves?

Mod the elf raw file to remove their ability to speak. They will then be permanently hostile to everyone, which leads to fun elf attacks (siege-sized ambushing war animal + elf). I've done this a few times.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 01:59:57 am »

-Melee elves = paltry offensive capabilities. They might get a lucky strike in but it's unlikely.  and Tasty
-Ranger elves = deadly, like most rangers.  and Tasty

fixed
Fixed your fix.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 02:09:24 am »

I once had a horrible experience with hostile elves that I never hope to relive. I embarked in a spot where I happened to be at war with them, dug out a big fancy chamber and flooded it to the brim with water while making my farm. I liked the site so I decided to fight for it. About a year into the pumping ordeal (don't ask), with my dwarves living like vagrants on the grassy hills, an elven ambush struck. They came from the shadows, pelting my unarmed civilians with volley after volley of arrows. After the dust settled I discovered to my horror that six of my dwarves had bruises. I never expected such brutal ferocity, and since that day I have feared the elves like hell itself.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 02:14:27 am »

-Melee elves = paltry offensive capabilities. They might get a lucky strike in but it's unlikely.  and Tasty

fixed
Fixed your fix.
??? You're not willing to eat cats but you're willing to eat elves. You're a curious one, Iton. Not a bad kind of curious, but certainly curious...

...And if you haven't already, I believe there's an ethics setting in the dwarven entity RAW that would let you butcher the elves for food.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 02:17:03 am »

SHMO! Ah, I remember that name, six years ago now I had a stab at making a game in RPG Maker 2003 and the main character was called that! Memories...

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 02:19:54 am »

fixed
Fixed your fix.
??? You're not willing to eat cats but you're willing to eat elves. You're a curious one, Iton. Not a bad kind of curious, but certainly curious...

...And if you haven't already, I believe there's an ethics setting in the dwarven entity RAW that would let you butcher the elves for food.
No arguments here.  What really made me wonder when I thought about it is that I have already happily edited the RAW to allow me to eat elves, and make elf skull totems, but when I jump the elven traders for their meat, I spare the pets they bring, opting to save them to sell to the Humans in summer or sometimes just keeping them.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 09:54:30 am »

you cant cut down more trees

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 10:07:22 am »

After an accident with dfimmolate i had a few rounds of fisticuffs with elven siegers. Overall, Melee elves are worthless distractions for their mounts so that the war bear can delimb a dwarf. The archers are bothersome if your dodge/shield ranks are low and you don't have your marksdwarf support counter. After your first crop of non-trainer legendaries elves are nothing but a distraction and threat to random dwarves under the sun hauling bones and socks. Although, Elven Siegers are a bit misunderstood. You see, they don't come to kill you but are instead bringing dozens of socks and wood spears to bring you that much closer to fps death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3