Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The threat posed by war with elves  (Read 4646 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The threat posed by war with elves
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:58:03 pm »

In the current version, what sort of threat to elves pose if you are at war with them? The embark site for my third game had a neighboring elven civ hostile to mine, but i hoped that the elven and goblin siege forces would fight each other now and then, providing amusement.

I also read that their military uses only wooden weapons, armor, and arrows (even wooden arrows are ineffective against metal armor yes?).

Anyone have experiences to relate with war /w elves in the current version?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: The threat posed by war with elves
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:59:01 pm »

Bruises..
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:00:49 pm »

They do fight the goblins! Once I was pinned down by a goblin siege and was... liberated by elves... gosh that sounds wrong.

Well the elves were horribly slaughtered, and took down enough goblins that I was able to deal with them.
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:12:16 pm »

War with elves is a dangerous prospect indeed.  You shall watch in horror as your best dwarves get bruises again and again, and your stockpiles fill to the brim with -Rope Reed Fiber Sock- and -Cedar Buckler-.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:20:12 pm »

The one time I had an elf war it came as a complete surprise. I had no military of any kind, and when I pulled the drawbridge lever I realised my wagon was still my meeting area and everyone was locked out. Even with wooden weapons they slaughtered everyone. It just took longer to finish them off.

I imagine if you asked an elf why they use wood they'd say "Because it's dull you twit. It'll hurt more!"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 04:28:02 pm by Newbunkle »

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 04:27:11 pm »

I don't like fighting with elves since there isn't much to gain.  The wood gear they bring doesn't offer much challenge or usability.

To be fair, the humans aren't much more of a challenge, and dwarves can't wear their armor since it is too big.  At least the human's metal gear can be melted and remade into something.

Don't scoff at wood arrows though.  Archers tend to aim for unprotected areas, so while a wood arrow won't do anything to even a copper breastplate, it will go right through a leather robe to the arms where the breastplate isn't covering.  Even fully decked out squads wearing every single piece of armor allowed for maximum protection is still subject to lucky shots.

Elf sieges are also stealthed, so they might surprise you like a goblin ambush, but in much greater numbers.  They also bring along several beasties to maul you with.  Apart from getting a surprise attack and marching into your fort before you can react, they are not that hard to fight off.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:14:16 pm »

Don't elves bring, like, bears and shit?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:24:32 pm »

Don't elves bring, like, bears and shit?
Thats the only thing they are good for. So I kill them and take the animals for free, dump all their useless stuff. And they still come year after year, it seems for whatever reason they decided that sending me merchants to be killed and some free stuff is better then sending a war party.
Though I would do the same by sending useless stuff lying around stockpiles with caravans of immigrants to be slaughtered at trade depots to them if it would be possible, so their behavior makes sense really.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 10:40:58 pm »

It's much FUN to kill a siege, cage all their animals, then train them to turn and attack the next siege. Take that treehuggers! Nature isn't so nice now is it?
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:35:18 pm »

say, i want to cause a war with elves to get my men some practice between goblin sieges and to test out my trap systems.

How do I cause war with elves?

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 11:41:57 pm »

Offer their Merchants wooden goods to piss them off.
Then kill their Merchants.
Make a bunch of axes (you'll need them anyway!), make everyone a woodcutter and deforest the whole map.
If they send someone to impose a woodcutting limit ignore it (do they actually do that? I read about it but so far I haven't seen it).

Real diplomacy isn't yet implemented :/
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 11:59:45 pm »

ive killed their merchants before but never got war. also i live near a desert but ok lol. how long would suich an endevor take? also killing humans sounds like fun but often their caravans are well defended it might be hard to cause war with them if i cant with elves.

my men need easy practice and i want some action from time to time

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 01:09:22 am »

Splinters and clogged traps
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 01:23:16 am »

It's much FUN to kill a siege, cage all their animals, then train them to turn and attack the next siege. Take that treehuggers! Nature isn't so nice now is it?
Is this really possible?  I was under the impression that the animals brought with sieges are enemies of your civ and cannot be tamed....or that they will still attack you after being tamed...something like that.

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 01:26:52 am »

Elven civs might not pose much threat other than their war animals (as long as you have a decent military), but elves raised in civs other than their native one seem to have a track record of awesomeness.

For one example, you could look into the story of Cacame, the immortal onslaught. Raised by dwarves, became king of said dwarves, killed a dragon as a competent hammerelf (in two hits, according to the story). In the same thread, a few other elves raised by dwarves becoming awesome were reported.

As somebody put it better than I ever could "It seems the only thing keeping the elves from taking over the world is their dirty hippie culture."

Though I don't know about elves raised by civs other than dwarves... I may have just found my next !!SCIENCE!! project.
Take two magma and call me in the morning.
I was thinking about pumping magma up his legs and having a floodgate in his crotch. What could be more dorfy than pissing magma upon your enemies?
Pages: [1] 2 3