Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: City of Madness; Arkham. Ch. 1: The Lord of Broken Song  (Read 30338 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: City of Madness; Arkham. Ch. 1: The Lord of Broken Song
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2011, 05:18:21 pm »

Yeah, you would think the Trades use hospitals as one stop shops for dead bodies, and not quite yet dead ones, if they need them.

I mean, they've got hungry mouths to feed.  ???

Shush you!

And now we've had our second beyond -100 failure. Ouchies.
Considering that you usually post my part first, I assume that's not me.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »

Yeah, you would think the Trades use hospitals as one stop shops for dead bodies, and not quite yet dead ones, if they need them.

I mean, they've got hungry mouths to feed.  ???

Shush you!

And now we've had our second beyond -100 failure. Ouchies.
Considering that you usually post my part first, I assume that's not me.

Well that was the second -100 failure in that turn. You you might've had the first one, or you might not.
Almost done.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2011, 08:11:33 pm »

Briar looked around the smoky room for something the use as an anchor, the desk in here was too big, the beds were even worse, cabinet would be too heavy to move, the desk chair might do the trick. "Rob, grab the chair and follow me!" Briar yelled as he started to make his way out of the room, coiling his makeshift loop of rope around his right hand to make a set of cloth knuckles.
    Robert grunted and grabbed the heavy chair, hoisting it up and followed Briar as soon as he had it balanced.
[Building Structure [Threshold 50] 60 (margin -10: Failure)] (Threshold reduced by 10 next round)
    The building groaned as the fire claimed one the support pillars for good, sending cracks and debris spinning through the rest of the building. Briar and Robert staggered as the floor shifted beneath them, settling grudgingly to slant towards the north-eastern front of the building.
    "Run damnit!" Briar yelled at Robert as he threw of his own shock and not having been killed. Robert needed no second urging, sprinting off with Briar down the hall as fast as he could and keep a grip on the chair. A couple other students joined them in their dash for the window, the fact that the building was collapsing had probably spurred many of them to take action where they hadn't dared before.
    Briar punched out the window with his cloth gauntleted hand the instant it was within striking distance, sending shards of glass spinning down onto the grass below. As soon as he had the sill cleared of any pieces of glass he unspooled the makeshift rope from his hand and looped it through the chair that Robert held, fastening it as securely as he knew how.
   As soon as Briar had it tied off Robert slammed the chair into the window, lodging it firmly between the two sides of the frame. "Alright, I'm going down first. As soon as I'm on the ground you can follow." Robert said as he checked to make sure the chair would stay secured in the window.
   "Like hell you are," Briar replied "I tied the knots in this rope, I'm going down first to make sure they hold."
   "You sure?"
   "Of course I'm sure, are you actually going to argue this in the middle of a burning building?!" Briar half-yelled in frustration. "Hold my book, toss it down to me when I get to the bottom. Don't Lose it!" He said as he handed the old tome to Robert and hauled himself up onto the lip of the window. "See you on the ground, okay?"
   Robert took the book and nodded grimly as Briar took hold of the end of the rope and stepped off the window.

[Rope integrity [Threshold 50-58=-8] 99 (Margin -107)]  The knots that Briar tied were not solid, and as soon as he trusted his full weight to the rope of bedsheets it failed completely, unraveling from the chair and sending Briar plunging into a freefall. [Athletics 44 (margin -54 Complete failure)] (54x2 108 damage) Briar hit the ground on his side, his vision darkening to black as the impact replaced the air in his lungs with blood. Strangely there was no pain; he felt surprise, confusion, and a strange feeling like all of his bones were in the wrong place, but no pain. [Save Vs. Death 11 (Margin -1) Vedict: Knife-edge Survival] Gurgling for breath Briar clawed feebily at the grass, struggling vainly to rise even as his body failed to respond to his beleaguered mind's commands.
That battle however lasted only minutes before Briar's thoughts faded away into vague musings of color and light, taking with them what little consciousness he had left.

((Briar has been rendered critically unconscious))

Survival Roll for Robert: [Robert Solve enigma  72 (margin -32, Total Failure)] [Athletics 6 (margin 14)] Robert survives by jumping out the window.

((Your introduction is finished))

---~~~---

Clay stood fast even as the building groaned and rumbled in front of him, priming the extinguisher to spray and clear out some of this fire.  [Solve enigma 93 (Margin -27 Failure)] There wasn't a lot he could do with just his little bitty extinguisher but he had to try. [Auto-hit, target can't dodge][Effectiveness [Threshold 50+15 intelligence] 43 (Margin 22: Success)]
   Clay sprayed everything on fire that he can reach from the door, taking it cautiously forwards one step at a time. Ten steps in he stopped when the building groaned ominously around him. The fire in the immediate area was as far in check as he could make it without endangering himself, but he still hadn't really helped anyone...
   The SE stairwell was tantalizingly close and Clay didn't think getting in would be a problem, it was getting back out again that would impose difficulties. Staying down here was useless, he simply couldn't extinguish the entire building as fast as the fire was spreading. Going up the stairs might give him the opportunity to help, but that was assuming it didn't kill him first or trap him under burning debris.
   Perhaps if he survived this he could write a textbook on what to actually do in a disaster.

Status Affects: None

---~~~---

David nodded to Angie and she smiled back gratefully as she left the bar, leaving David to finish his glass and muse for a moment before following. Springing lose an asset from a Trade controlled business would be... difficult. Not impossible for him to do, but it would certainly raise a few problems.
   Many more so if they managed to get his name out of this little caper.
   Draining his glass David rose and thanked the barman before straightening his trenchcoat on his shoulders. He'd drunk, he'd talked to a beautiful dame, he was going to leave. Hopefully the fact that he hadn't actually engaged any of the women wouldn't seem too unusual. Tucking his hat down over his face David walked unhurriedly to the side exit, keeping his eyes as lecherous and roving as any of the patrons.
    No one stopped him and he twisted open the side door without incident, leaving the dancing saint and entering a closed store that apparently sold... scarves. Scarves that looked a great deal like the ones the dancers wore. Heh, engage a dancer on the way back from a hard day at the grind and buy your wife a scarf exactly like the one you saw on the dancer on the same trip. Life was funny like that.
   David made his way to the back, pushing through the numerous fuzzy strips of fabric that adorned the moonlit shop and stepping quietly through the door to the outside.
   It took David's eyes a couple seconds to adjust to the moonlight, the dark alley not resolving into discrete shapes until several blinks later. Angie was standing farther down the alley at the backdoor of the dancing saint itself. She was still clad lightly, though she had at least added a rather shear full length garment to cover her otherwise scant attire. As David approached her attention seemed fixed on a point out to the west, and even when David was within arms reach she didn't take her eyes of that point. "Are you all right?" He ask softly when he drew close.
    When he spoke Angie twisted to favor him with a cold look of mild chagrin. Not at all what he'd been expecting. "I'm sorry, I'd have liked to let this play out, but you are no longer my most pressing concern." She said in a hard tone that David hadn't heard her use before.
    [Surprise attack negated through perk: Danger sense. Bonus added to first dodge and attack roll] At that point the hairs on David's neck that indicated immediate danger prickled strongly, giving enough time to let him see Angie's muscles tense before she threw the first punch.

Spoiler: Compressed combat (click to show/hide)

David skipped backwards in surprise just in time to avoid her first blow, jumping forwards again to deliver a clumsy and heavy handed counterblow. Angie batted it aside and twisted to grab a fistful of David's dark hair in one hand, swinging him around and using the momentum from his own punch to drive his head into the brick wall of the Dancing saint.
   "Sorry love," Angie said when David was sprawled beneath her in a heap "I just don't have the time to talk right now." Angie cast another concerned look at the point to the west and grabbed David's right arm, tugging him upright into a fireman's carry and hauling him back inside the Dancing Saint. 

Spoiler: ??? (click to show/hide)

---~~~---

Patric tried to smile in a way that would inspire confidence as he reached for the ring and the envelope of money on the table. "Got it, bo-" Patric was able to get out before Tragedy brought a letter opener down on his hand.
[Tragedy melee 45-25 -surprise- (margin 80) Vs Patric Dodge 1 (Margin 19)]
[Tragedy meleel 48-30 (margin 82) Vs Patric Endure 65 (margin -15)] ((Damage constrained, 5 HP damage and cripple))
   The diminutive cruciform blade punched a hole through Patric's hand, traveling down through the cash filled envelope and embedding itself deeply into the wood of the desk below. "I told you!" Tragedy hissed, his face inches away from Patric's. "You will never use that voice around me, I made it clear! Yet you disobey..." Tragedy twisted the letter opener in the desk, send jolts of pain up Patric's hand. "I forgive once, but never twice. The next time you disobey this most simple of requests I will gouge out one of your eyes. Clear?"
   Patric groaned slightly in pain but nodded once in acceptance.
   "Good." Tragedy said, wrenching the letter opener back out of the desk and out of Patric's hand. "Now get out, you're getting blood everywhere."
   Patric didn't need a second request to gather his things, slipping the ring on so his wounded hand was free to hang limp while his left hand held his now bloody and perforated envelope. He left the room quickly, taking the stairs as quickly as he could without jostling his impaled hand. Goddamn crazy bastard... The job may come with a lot of benefits, but Tragedy wasn't one of them. Stuffing the envelop back down into his pocket Patric pulled his handkerchief out of his suit. Growling darkly as he wiped the blood off his hands and wrapped the cloth into a simple bandage for his right hand. It wasn't good to be seen as wounded when you were on the floor.

((You will finish your shift and be done with this introduction if you have no further actions)) (And assuming no special events occur.)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:01:56 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:21 pm »

Damnit.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2011, 08:17:07 pm »

Damnit.

Boy Scouts of America are never there when you need them. At least your buddy survived right?
I can roll for your cripple now if you like, see what's going to be hideously wrong with you.
---

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2011, 08:18:14 pm »

Damnit.

Boy Scouts of America are never there when you need them. At least your buddy survived right?
I can roll for your cripple now if you like, see what's going to be hideously wrong with you.
Sure, because what's more fun than spending the entire game in a wheelchair?
Welcome to Reality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »

Damnit.

A lot, hence the reason why I don't do that. Don't worry your spine is fine.

Okay your rolled a ten which puts the damage in your right leg, now a sixty so you've got permanent nerve damage but you can still use the leg.

All rolls relying on your legs will be at a 10% penalty, 25% if they for some reason rely exclusively on your right leg. You will have a permanent limp.

Just don't do the hokey pokey and you should be fine.

---

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2011, 08:25:34 pm »

Damnit.

Okay your rolled a ten which puts the damage in your right leg, now a sixty so you've got permanent nerve damage but you can still use the leg.

All rolls relying on your legs will be at a 10% penalty, 25% if they for some reason rely exclusively on your right leg. You will have a permanent limp.

Nooooo! Briar's dancing career is ruined, he'll never dance again!
Welcome to Reality.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2011, 08:26:36 pm »

It was critical decision time. Continue onward, risking life and limb in the vague hope of saving a life, or leave now and ensure his own survival? Gritting his teeth, his shoulders slumped from the weight of the decision, he dropped the extinguisher. He had done more than he really had to, and he wasn't trained or even physically built for this. He couldn't leave Helen to raise Jenny and Fiona alone. He turned and left the building, feeling beat down physically as well as mentally.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:38 pm »

Damnit.

Nooooo! Briar's dancing career is ruined, he'll never dance again!

♪His guilty feet have got no rhythm,♪
♪He's never gonna dance again, the way he danced with you!♪

Ahem... As long as he stays away from the ballet he should be fine, besides, crippling injuries are great icebreakers for picking up women, particularly when they relate to stories of daring heroism. :P

This hasn't been a great turn for anyone but I'm about to go back through and look for successes to see who's ready for another level.

It was critical decision time. Continue onward, risking life and limb in the vague hope of saving a life, or leave now and ensure his own survival? Gritting his teeth, his shoulders slumped from the weight of the decision, he dropped the extinguisher. He had done more than he really had to, and he wasn't trained or even physically built for this. He couldn't leave Helen to raise Jenny and Fiona alone. He turned and left the building, feeling beat down physically as well as mentally.

This will end your introduction, do you wish to continue? Y/N
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »

Yes. Also BD needs someone other than Robert to help get him an ambulance, I figure I'll run into him out there.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2011, 08:40:34 pm »

Yes. Also BD needs someone other than Robert to help get him an ambulance, I figure I'll run into him out there.
I thought it was assumed that that will already happen, and whenever I'm brought back there would be an explanation of what happened.
Welcome to Reality.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2011, 08:42:13 pm »

I know, I'm just providing an OOC reason for Clayton to do tha... wait... that's ass-backwards isn't it? :3

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2011, 08:56:46 pm »

Wake up, look around.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2011, 01:23:10 am »

he no insane, he psycho.

no more actions for my intro.

also, im gonna need to say "i do /// with an expressionless face"?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:42:49 am by Ahra »
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20