Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: City of Madness; Arkham. Ch. 1: The Lord of Broken Song  (Read 30307 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: City of Madness; Arkham. Ch. 1: The Lord of Broken Song
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:44 pm »

thats my IRL name.... patrik stefan svensson...

I was just talking about we have Briar, Clayton, and David... and then Patric. :p Basically I was trying to point out the obvious for a joke, much like I am now. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2011, 01:37:18 pm »

got tired of using my usual Alan and Aaron  :P
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 01:49:53 pm »

...Yeah, those and Alexander are pretty much the only 'A' choices. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 02:27:51 pm »

Oy, wheres that update. We're all watching, and waiting.  ???

Also, calling this in advance.

David: Live sacrificed to Nyarlathotep
Clayton: Brain removed by Mi-go
Briar: Nommed by Shoggoth
Patrick: Kidnapped by Dimensional Shambler
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 02:44:39 pm »

... i call being eaten by zombies for me
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:23 pm »

Oy, wheres that update. We're all watching, and waiting.  ???

Hey I was just asking actions for clarity, not saying I was going to update that minute. (You just want me to kill somebody don't you? DON'T LIE TO ME!)

Tonight probably, right now I'm working out my item/NPC/Monster templates. Made it so that you can use pocket watch chains to strangle someone if you're desperate or sadistic.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2011, 09:09:51 pm »

i thought those chains were flimsy?
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »

i thought those chains were flimsy?

1. Items from the 1930s are all indestructible, my computer chair dates from sometime around then.
2. Rule of Cool
3. It's an improvised weapon, so it's got a much lower chance to hit and is far easier to break out of. It's not a great weapon, but if you wanted to start serial killing with your pocket watch you could.
4. Because I'm running a turn. I'm not sure how that relates but it does. (Late because I was digging an epic firepit.) ((Seriously. Epic.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2011, 09:43:30 pm »

I was just talking about we have Briar, Clayton, and David... and then Patric. :p Basically I was trying to point out the obvious for a joke, much like I am now. ^^^
Interestingly enough, I was planning on naming my character "Elizabeth."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2011, 09:53:47 pm »

I don't get the joke.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2011, 10:24:10 pm »

I don't get the joke.
The English alphabet goes A, B, C, D, E, etc. The current characters' names begin with B, C, and D, so if Ahra's had an A name, it'd fit perfectly.

Also, can you put more than ten points in an attribute in order to cancel out a penalty from age/profession?

EDIT: On that note, what happens if you end up with a negative value?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:31:21 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2011, 11:36:28 pm »

EDIT: On that note, what happens if you end up with a negative value?

In stats? I assign you stiff negative perk to compensate and prevent you from munchkining. Stats cannot go below zero, this makes it so that you can't start a character with negative health/sanity values or skills below -35.

Also, can you put more than ten points in an attribute in order to cancel out a penalty from age/profession?

No, only ten points may be added to any one stat at start. Profession and/or age penalties will reduce the maximum possible start value of a stat.

In other news, So far we've had one VERY minor failure, one VERY good success, Incompetence, and an unexpected item.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2011, 11:44:40 pm »

I'm going to guess in order that it was Patric, David, Clay, Briar.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2011, 03:55:35 am »

Briar joined Robert in swearing immediately, dropping his coke and grabbing the bottle of painkillers before dashing over to the dorm closet. The fire had a good chance of wrecking the building, but he could take a few steps to make sure it didn't wreck his life.
Well, if the delay didn't get him killed.
   "What the hell are you doing?" Robert yelled as Briar continued to rummage through the closet. "Building! On Fire! Need to leave!"
   Briar nodded absently to himself, Robert was probably actually being the voice of reason here... still... He had to get that book. "I need to get a few things, just go I'll be right behind you!"  [Persuasion 50-20 -Good Friend- (Margin -5, bare fail)]
   "Like hell I'm going to leave you trying to stuff every one of your damn books into your pants while I run to safety!" Robert yells back, grabbing his jacket off the back of one of the chairs and storming back over to Briar. "We leave together, even if together means me dragging your whacky ass out of here."
   Briar grit his teeth and bore it, Robert could have an irritating sense of honor occasionally. One the only cropped up when it was inconvenient. Regardless Briar stuffed Robert's wallet back into his roommate's hands before grabbing his own wallet and recovering his rather special volume from its place underneath his slacks. That of course left him to contemplate what else from his closet he literally was willing to exchange possible seconds of his life to grab.

((Objects Taken: Wallet, Strange Tome, Painkillers)

Status Affects: Painkillers (10)
Spoiler: Dorm room (click to show/hide)

---~~~---

Clay was a smart man, he knew to ignore the instinct that told him to run immediately to the burning building would be as noble as it would be useless, they needed more help than one professor could hope to give. Turning and running back inside the library at a dead run Clayton tried to remember where the library dial-phone was... [Knowledge 39-10 -Familiarity - Stressful situation- (Margin 61, Complete success)] Receptionist for the restricted stacks on the second floor had one, but the curator for antiquities had a private one in his much closer office. Good thing the old man never locked his door...
   Dodging through the mess of chairs and tables Clay barged into the Curator's office, spotting the glossy black phone amid the shuffle of papers that adorned the man's desk and dialing in with shaking hands.
   Nothing happened.
   Desperately Clay attempted to dial again, hoping that his trembling fingers had missed a number in their haste. Again the telephone responds with nothing but eerily dead silence. Clenching his free hand he dialed for an operator, time was of the essence and he simply didn't have enough spare to spend it on a line that didn't work.
   The sound of the line opening was music to Clay's ears. "I need to report a fire at the corner of West Church and south west street. The Miskatonic Dormitories are burning and I don't know how many students are still inside!" Clay said as clearly into the phone as he could, not even waiting for the operator to greet him.
   There was a startled sound from the other end of the line and a stuttered something midway between "hello" and "what".
   "There. Is. A. Fire. Corner of West Church and South West street, I can't connect to the fire station.  DO SOMETHING!"
   The man's stammering fails to improve on the second attempt, if anything it gets worse. "I- Yes sir, I'll-... W-what should I do?"

The dorms are burning down, the line to the fire station wouldn't connect, and the night operator was incompetent. Either lady fate had taken a dark turn of humor or there was something very foul afoot.

Location: Inside the Miskatonic Library, Office of the Curator of Antiquities
Status Affects: None
Spoiler: Curator's Office (click to show/hide)

---~~~---

David opted for the straightforward route, it wasn't as if he had anything to hide yet. For now he was just a Five-two armed civilian, nothing wrong with that as long as he didn't get patted down. David strode forwards through the glow of the streetlights, approaching the front door with the somewhat cocky air of somebody who doesn't care if they're seen visiting a house of ill repute. 

Unlike most establishments of its type the Dancing Saint didn't require a cover charge, it made its keep through the... off the menu orders rather than through simple patronage. The lack of an up-front cost suited Hadjem just fine, nothing like a free entrance to let you appreciate the way a place looks.
   The dancing saint had been stripped down farther than any of its employees, and it had been refurbished in a warm comfortable way. Low walls and crushed velvet seats, classy bouncers in suits, and of course the less than fully clad women offering refreshments for those who had grown dry in mouth watching the even less clad dancers. David quirked up a smile at the edge of his mouth, there were times when his job wasn't actually that bad. This place could be fun, a nice relaxing getaway where he could technically work on the case and get paid to boot... All for the low, low, price of his soul.
   Eh, maybe later. Right now he had work.
   Tapping one of the waitresses on the shoulder David put on what he hoped was an oily smile. "Ah, yes... I'm looking for particular woman, a... ah... friend of mine." David said, still smiling in a way that made him want punch himself. From what he heard it wasn't uncommon for an entertainer to have a small private following, not being able to remember the woman's name was pretty common in that kind of circle.  "Can't quite recall her name, shoulder length blond hair, green eyes, tall, olive skin, would you know her by chance?" [Gather Information 29 (Margin 11, Slight Success)]
   The serving girl's eyes widen a little too much, her entire body tensing slightly at the woman's description. "Why I don't believe so sir, she sounds lovely, but there are so many lovely dancers here it is hard for me to remember all of their names." She said, her voice at odds with her body language.
   David smiled, the girl knew something about what had happened and was trying to hide it. Poorly. "I never said she was a dancer, just said she was a woman."
   The girl tensed further, her body attempting to back as far away from him as possible while her feet stayed rooted to the floor. "I'm sorry, I must misunderstood, sir. Can I perhaps get you something to-"
    David held up a hand to stop her from going further, he had a choice of options now... He could attempt to intimidate the information out of her, he could bribe her with what little he had, or he could just try and sweet talk her out of what she knew.
   That or let her go get him a drink.

---~~~---

Patric wasn't about to stay in a room with his employer a second longer than he had to. Nodding in what he hoped was a polite and respectful way he grabbed the poor girl and slung her corpse up onto one broad shoulder and opening the door with his free hand, closing the door silently and quickly behind him before carefully traversing the flight of stairs back down to the main hall of the back floor.
   Angelo was thankfully already waiting for him at the bottom of the stairs, arms crossed across his burly chest and looking somewhat impatient as he observed Patric's slow progress down the stairs. "You ain't dead." He says observantly as Patric draws level with him.
    Patric didn't exactly know how to reply to that, saying that the boss was a insane would probably land him a one way ticket to a three foot ditch. "He... he said you'd know where the dump was."
    The security head shrugged. "I do. Need to cover that girl up first, wouldn't do to have her seen by accident, even by one of ours. Got a carpet to roll her up in just to make sure." He adds, patting a roll of dully colored interwoven brown and green fabric.
    Patric's blood ran a little cold, if they didn't want the body seen by other employees then why had the boss asked him to deliver the corpse personally? "Thanks" he said as he began to sling the dead girl's stiff body down off his shoulder, there really didn't seem to be much else to say.
   Angelo unfurls the carpet all the way and helps center the corpse on the right hand side before the pair of the roll it up. [Concealment, General oppose 43-10-20 -Tool assisted, second pair of hands- (Margin of success -3, Bare fail)] The carpeted shroud isn't going to fool anybody if they look at it directly, the short lock of hair sticking out the front and the lacquered toes poking out the back see to that pretty well.
   Angel grunts disapprovingly at the cover but doesn't seem to think it bad enough for a do-over. "It ain't entirely bad, still looks a damn sight better than carrying a body. Won't have to walk far in the open anyway." He wipes his hands on the carpet shroud and looks thoughtful for a moment. "So. You've met the boss, what do you think of him?"
   Patric froze for a moment in the act of slinging the barely concealed body back up onto his shoulder before resuming. "I've never had an employer like him."
   Angelo barked a short laugh at that. "Don't imagine you had... He ain't crazy you know, no matter how much he acts it."
   Patric raised an eyebrow at that, all of the evidence including his gut reaction pointed in the opposite direction.
   "Heh, felt the same when I first met him." Angelo said, still smiling somewhat brutally. "But he's been in his job for more than a decade, and if he really was as crackerjack crazy has plays out do you think the Trades would have left him in charge? He's dangerous, but don't make the mistake of thinking him crazy."
   Patric only shrugged, Angelo had a point though... he had a point.

((You will automatically travel with Angelo next round, this is a time for questions and the like, or if you feel the need you may add a different and more compelling action.))

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:59:10 am by Draignean »
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2011, 03:56:59 am »

Sorry that last bit took so long guys, my connection was on the fritz and it kept logging me off every five seconds. Storms and satt connections don't mix well.
---
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20