Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: City of Madness; Arkham. Ch. 1: The Lord of Broken Song  (Read 30281 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: City of Madness; Arkham. Ch. 1: The Lord of Broken Song
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2012, 06:25:33 pm »

Clayton was silent for a few moments. "Robert, something very serious and very odd is going on here. I received a letter similar to this one myself." He ran a hand through his hair, looking and feeling very frazzled indeed. "I'm not sure why. Perhaps they are related to the fire somehow." Despite himself and his usual disposition, he attempted a tone of authority. "I'll figure this out, but I need your help. Did Briar find, buy, or otherwise receive anything unusual recently? Perhaps a book?" The letter mentioned knowledge; surely it had to be a book of some kind.

Robert looked surprised, but he nodded. "Yeah, actually, there was a book. It was one of the only things he took out of our room, and he seemed pretty desperate to keep it," Robert paused and thought for a moment. "I don't really remember it before the fire... It's around here somewhere," Robert said, standing back up and rummaging around by Briar's head.
   "There we are," Robert grunted, pulling out a heavy leatherbound book from Briar's bedside cabinet. "Take it, it probably belongs to the college. Briar usually had a few books from the library for classes, and this doesn't look like the sort of thing he'd go out and buy."
    Clayton took the book gently from Robert. He had a great deal of experience with rare and old books, and this one had the feel of both. Gingerly, Clay opened the book, looking for a clue as to the book's origins or purpose. [Lore 78 (Margin -18)] The pages of the book were filled with ordered writing, but not in any language that Clayton could read. [Knowledge 69 (Margin 26)] It looked like a Greek derivative, old, but he could probably find a reference text back at the university.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »

"Thank you." Clayton skimmed the pages, but he didn't recognize the language. "I'll have to look through the library myself. Maybe I can find something to reference it with and translate." He put the book beside him and looked around for a pen.

(Er, I'm going to make a branching action here. First assumes he finds one, second does the opposite. After I'll continue an action that doesn't matter either way.)

1. Clay took Briar's letter and wrote on the back of it. "I have to investigate this, but here's my home number. Call me if anything changes, OK?" He handed the letter to Robert.

2. Clay sighed in frustration and stopped looking around. "I have to investigate this. I'll come back as soon as I have some time to check on him."

Clayton stood up. "And... don't worry about the assignments I gave you yesterday. I understand this is hard on you, and the last thing you need is to be worrying about studying. Let me know when you feel up to coming back to class." He shook his head. "I wish I could do more for you - both of you. I'll talk to you soon. Take care, Robert." He put a hand on the younger man's shoulder momentarily, then left. There was still one last thing to do before he could head to the university, and that was bring some bread home. What was the shop again? The one... on... Derby. Right.

He left for the bakery, keeping the book hidden inside his greatcoat. He instinctively felt it would not be a good idea to carry it about in the open, and more than that he wanted to keep it safe.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2012, 06:46:30 pm »

(Er, I'm going to make a branching action here. First assumes he finds one, second does the opposite. After I'll continue an action that doesn't matter either way.)

Alrighty then.

How do you feel about the free-actions anyway? I always think they feel... second rate to write (no time to agonize), but I will certainly grant that they are hella' faster.

Oh dear god. I like your style, Draig!

Epic crossover between the Eldritch RTDs, it must happen. Eventually anyway.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2012, 06:49:00 pm »

(I like them. Of course, you could probably guess I would say that. ^^^ I fail to see how you think they're second rate, though. They may not be as long as main action posts but that doesn't meant they're lacking in quality, only quantity.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »

(I like them. Of course, you could probably guess I would say that. ^^^ I fail to see how you think they're second rate, though. They may not be as long as main action posts but that doesn't meant they're lacking in quality, only quantity.)

It's not the quantity, believe me, the lack of quantity actually makes me very happy. I just don't get to agonize over it for a couple hours before hand. I wanted to see if this was a real deficiency, or if my brain was being a perfectionist bastard again. Stupid brain.

Well then, assuming the wall of text hasn't crushed all of my other players ( a very real danger), free actions will proceed where applicable.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2012, 07:07:31 pm »

(Jeez, dude, don't give yourself an ulcer. :( I understand the perfectionist angle, but even if you made/make a few mistakes here and there you're still one of the best GMs on Bay12, and nobody would hold that against you.)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2012, 04:33:24 am »

"Snap outta it" Patric roared in "Jerrys" ear as he slapped him, hoping it would help him not to fall to the floor
muttering about his damn nightmares.
Before running over the cellar to help Rake, but the door always in his view, he would damn god himself if he had something behind him.

Also, i have read long running fan-fics with less text, plus this... im gonna call it more unnerving than Lovecraft himself,
 Lets hear a round of applause for Draignean shall we?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:48:09 am by Ahra »
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2012, 07:12:54 am »

(Jeez, dude, don't give yourself an ulcer. :( I understand the perfectionist angle, but even if you made/make a few mistakes here and there you're still one of the best GMs on Bay12, and nobody would hold that against you.)

PTW.

And, agree. ^^

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 25, 2012, 07:25:59 am »

Lets hear a round of applause for Draignean shall we?

Yes, we should.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2012, 03:51:10 am »

I'm going to have to quit this. Sorry. At least my replacement will be happy.

David, being possessed by some strange elder creature, lost his mind and went on to serve some great, incomprehensible threat....  :P
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2012, 05:00:45 am »

((Finally managed to punch all the way through this. Interesting!))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2012, 08:24:19 am »

At least my replacement will be happy.

I somehow get that feeling too.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2012, 09:08:19 am »

I'm going to have to quit this. Sorry. At least my replacement will be happy.
'Alright, it's fine. Though, if I may ask, why? (I'm guessing its somewhere between the incredible latency between updates and the absurd WoT)

At least my replacement will be happy.

I somehow get that feeling too.

Good, I'll think of a way to get you in next turn...

Me plot lines, they do be destabilized.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2012, 11:12:39 am »

Welcome to the game, Mr. Gerald Green. Here's hoping you don't end up like my other student. :P

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2012, 01:52:24 pm »

Let's not start a trend. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20