Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Survival of the original 7  (Read 2062 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Survival of the original 7
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »

How long do your original seven dwarfs usually last?  Typically I only lose one or two to accidents during the whole life of a fort, but on this terrifying embark I only have three still alive (and one is crippled, probably needs to be euthanized) and I started wondering how everyone else's founders do. 

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the original 7
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:01:33 pm »

I usually don't lose any of them.  If I lose one of them, I will probably end up losing all of them for similar reasons before any migrants show up.  There tends to be at least one militia dwarf that I embark with, so if anything I might lose him defending the early settlement.

After that I don't really keep track of them.  I assume they are my first legendary miner, cook, brewer, farmer, my appraiser, and my chief medical dorf.

That Guy Over There

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:05:58 pm »

I will usually attempt to keep them alive as long as possible if I can. Since they tend to be my first few legendaries they are given rooms and a job nickname (usually something along the line of _______'s-guild Grandmaster).

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 02:21:18 pm »

I usually end up having 2 to 4 alive. My goal in every game is to get as many dorfs dead as possible without losing, in a nutshell.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 02:28:01 pm »

I'm too lazy to keep tabs on my starting seven, so aside from the miners (who I actually care about) I never know whether they've lived or died.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:32:54 pm »

Mine seem to do pretty well over all.  In my current fort lasting over 10 years, I've lost 1 I think, in a forgotten beast attack.

I don't really keep track that well though.  My manager is my old expedition leader, so I keep tabs on her pretty tightly.  Otherwise, they just sort of blend into the rabble.  I'm not even positive who is who any more.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:46:34 pm »

Somewhere around five years in a body, maybe. Then sometimes one or another dies to random accident.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 02:53:35 pm »

Each of my starting seven are given custom nicknames so that they're easy to distinguish, and I usually only end up losing one or two max(all seven of them are still alive in my current fort). Any more than that, and there's a good chance that the rest of the population is dying with them.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 02:54:48 pm »

I don't pay a lot of attention, but when I have looked, I find that they tend to survive pretty well. They tend to mostly end highly skilled in vital skills, so they stay inside where they are safe. If I lose any, it will usually be one of the original miners due to mining errors like hitting magma while digging around an adamantine vein (oops! didn't know there was magma there!) or something like that.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »

Mine generally survive until the end. Migrants are the ones who get to burn.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 03:54:20 pm »

I don't care about starting seven. Maybe because I embark with 15 ::)
I only take note of accomplished dwarves that reach legendary in useful skills, some of which may be or may not be starting dwarves, and usually at least mason and carpenter are, sometimes stonecrafter and medics. Other stay unnamed rank-and-file haulers or not-so-useful professionals, such as brewers or furnace operators till the horrible end of their lives from failing a mandate or failing in common sense. Only military get some attention, so few of starting dwarves are likely to receive a veteran rank sooner then immigrants and therefore my personal appreciation and attention.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 05:35:38 pm »

I tend to take extra care of my starting 7, regardless of their actual importance in the fort.

I usualy lose one or two to your normal dwarfy accidents,  but the rest will survive till fortressfall.
My current fortress i have 6 left,  annoyingly the only one to die was my bloody doctor, he got mauled by giant badgers (I dont know what he was doing out in the jungle alone...  he had no labours, all he was supposed to do was hang around the living areas partying till people needed fixing up).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 05:57:38 pm »

Depends, I either give them positions of power or safety, or I give them starting military skills and they become the ultimate martyrs.

The original 7 in my current fort held off goblins in a 300 fashion, and were only defeated when enemy goblin bowmen stormed my fortifications and shot them down by the gates :(

Nonetheless, they saved the fort.

FatherLatour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:13 pm »

Uh... I don't think my first seven ever make it past year 3.  :-\ I'm kinda careless with my dwarves lives and the first seven are always everybody's friends, so they tend to die of tantrum spiraling the first time I make a mistake.
*shrug* There are always more dwarves.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 08:43:42 pm »

I try to keep em alive as much as I can, but a couple usually die. I always plan on a special tomb reserved for the original seven.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.
Pages: [1] 2