Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Macabre/Amusing DF ideas.  (Read 1327 times)

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
Macabre/Amusing DF ideas.
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:33:20 am »

So, I'm on a relatively new fort(as usual), and went to make my graveyard and noble bedrooms.  I had the rather amusing idea of making my nobles walk past all the tombs and graves before being able to reach their quarters, and as an added bit, the shape and general layout of the noble's quarters are going to mirror the tomb section rather closely(I might even put cabinets and such in the tombs, depending on how far I feel like taking it).  This is ostensibly to remind the nobles of those they serve, but ultimately is to remind them of where they'll end up if they mandate something stupid, like an export ban on magma.

So, I'm thinking you all have your own, probably way more amusing ideas.  Let's hear them!
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Macabre/Amusing DF ideas.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:40:49 am »

I'm usually a pretty benevolent overlord, but if it's a macabre atmosphere you want, you could always go Vlad the Impaler on your migrants and decorate the outside of your fort with bodies pierced on upward spike traps.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:30:08 am »

I'm fairly benevolent(toward my own dwarves, anyway) on the big stuff, but subtle things like this just give me kicks.  I wouldn't, say, Atom Smash extra kittens, but I totally would remind nobles of their own mortality.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:36:07 am »

Cabinets are actually pretty vital for tombs, otherwise they will just scatter clothing and personal belongings on the floor of the tomb.

I had a very macabre one I carried out today in my defense mod fort--three dwarves (the mayor, and two named veterans) were missing hands, arms and nerves to a degree that they caused a non-stop stream of cancellation spam.

I built a kind of magma room of for three by the forges, called the burrow "suicide pact" and watched the three dwarves join armoks fiery embrace.  I even tried to put a statue of a suicide god in the room with them, but somehow all my mason produced were toads.

Then I realized a toad was a fairy accurate representation of the true god of Dwarf fortress and filled the suicide pact room with masterwork toad statues.

The lack of spam afterwards was both sad and calming--they had gone to a better place.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 03:57:09 am »

Cabinets are actually pretty vital for tombs, otherwise they will just scatter clothing and personal belongings on the floor of the tomb.

I had a very macabre one I carried out today in my defense mod fort--three dwarves (the mayor, and two named veterans) were missing hands, arms and nerves to a degree that they caused a non-stop stream of cancellation spam.

I built a kind of magma room of for three by the forges, called the burrow "suicide pact" and watched the three dwarves join armoks fiery embrace.  I even tried to put a statue of a suicide god in the room with them, but somehow all my mason produced were toads.

Then I realized a toad was a fairy accurate representation of the true god of Dwarf fortress and filled the suicide pact room with masterwork toad statues.

The lack of spam afterwards was both sad and calming--they had gone to a better place.
That is precisely the sort of story I was hoping to hear!  Awesome.

Good to know about cabinets in tombs.  I may just set it up so that they are the same excepting that bedrooms will have beds where tombs have sarcophagi.

The bit about them being crippled reminds me of my favorite military squad, the Bewildered Crypts.  They started with a mad scheme to help some dwarves that had been rendered footless by a tantruming miner before I had my hospital set up.  The cripples never got to go to the hospital and get crutches, and for some reason wouldn't go even when the hospital was ready.  I assigned them(and later, all my cripples) to a squad named The Bewildered Crypts(so random, and yet so fitting).  This squad never saw combat(I ended up forgetting to backup the fort in a computer reformat), but they entered the danger room time and time again, trying to get broken thumbs so they'd go to the hospital and just maybe get crutches at last.  It never worked, they came out unscathed, time and time again, but eventually their attributes got so high they hobbled around as quick as non-cripples.

uncanny soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 05:23:02 am »

why not take it a step further and not just have the noble rooms mimic the tombs but also designate them as tombs in addition to their normal room types. i mean i dunno about you, but if i woke up every morning with an obsidian sarcophagus with my name and my face on it staring back at me im pretty sure i wouldnt forget my place

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:37:25 am »

why not take it a step further and not just have the noble rooms mimic the tombs but also designate them as tombs in addition to their normal room types. i mean i dunno about you, but if i woke up every morning with an obsidian sarcophagus with my name and my face on it staring back at me im pretty sure i wouldnt forget my place
aaaaaand I just increased room efficiency by taking this idea on board.

Excellent.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 06:47:06 am »

Well, every time I embark on a river my first major project is building a bridge over it. A real bridge, mind - with arches and multiple levels for structural integrity. I then capture a troll and stick it in the bridge through a hole in the top, and seal it in. Toll Troll style.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 08:49:17 am »

And one day

It may just jump off a bridge into the river with a badly written suicide note...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 09:14:39 am »

On one fortress of mine I made every coffin out of glass, and then lined them along the sides of the main entrance corridor.  Every dwarf who died in the fortress was placed on display where they could watch the fortress entrance.  This was before ghosts and before every siege had building-destroyers - doing this in the current version is going to get you a lot of disturbed graves and angry ghosts from every siege.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 09:34:06 am »

And one day

It may just jump off a bridge into the river with a badly written suicide note...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.