Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clown questions [spoilers]  (Read 494 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clown questions [spoilers]
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:26:39 am »

Hey folks-

I've managed to both accidentally tap the entrance to the circus and intentionally trap the clowns under a hatch.  As I ponder the options for retaking the lower levels of my fortress, I'm wondering about some things:

- Is the number of clowns finite?

- Do they always appear on the units list?  I only have 6 or so listed, which can't be right

- Are they affected by ballista and spear traps?

And in the interest of avoiding this in the future, is the entrance to the circus always the same size (eg, 4x4)?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: Clown questions [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:36:43 am »

No they wander in from the edge of the map in the circus.
No more waves though.
- Do they always appear on the units list?  I only have 6 or so listed, which can't be right
No, they need to be in a place your dwarves(or cats) have scouted, meaning most of them have returned to the circus or wandered into unsealed caverns and are playing in you blind spots
Ballista shots can kill them, traps are useless, I think GIANT cave spider web lets them be hit by traps however.
 -2x2 pillar?
yes but they may not line up.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:37:55 am »

No they wander in from the edge of the map in the circus.
No more waves though.
No, they need to be in a place your dwarves(or cats) have scouted, meaning most of them have returned to the circus or wandered into unsealed caverns and are playing in you blind spots
Ballista shots can kill them probably, traps are useless, I think GIANT cave spider web lets them be hit by traps however.
 -2x2 pillar?
yes but they may not line up.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:10:45 am »

Upright spear trap connected to lever sound like it should work... provided they don't melt it first. Some demons are too hot for anything but candy.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:34:53 am »

While they are finite, they can move throught the underworld in the same way the FBs do through caverns, so expect a massive undertaking. Controlled cave-ins work wonders if you're willing to sacrifice a few dwarves to do it, though it would have to be in an inaccessible room to prevent fliers.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:12:23 am »

Thanks folks.  The fact that the initial burst of clowns can be dispersed just by waiting for a bit is very valuable.  Right now there are a bunch of flame and shadow clowns cruising around the bottom cavern attacking the livestock I had pastured there.  However, I guess these are too insubstantial, because they have been attacking a reindeer for a year with no effect. Highly entertaining, but seriously messing up my combat reports screen.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:22:41 am »

The Balrog lashes the reindeer with his fiery whip!
It passes straight through!

hehe.

Anyways just to clarify a bit since we got two different responses for the infinite question. The first wave of clowns spawned when you breach the circus is limited, however clowns (that do not automatically attempt to come slaughter your dwarves, they function a little more like extremely dangerous wildlife) will continue to wander in from the map edges and glowing pits indefinitely.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 05:14:00 pm »

Moral of the story? Wall it off. As soon as you breach the circus and have defeated the first wave, build yourself a little house that dwarves can enter. Just so you can say you did it. Give it a roof though, there are a lot of fliers.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:17:07 pm »

dwarfs and the final frontire CANDY LAND. i hope you win the fight as you make a stake for all dwarf kind in that hellish land of candy watch as the cnady clowns arise from the ashes and fight to the death because you dwarfs are edicted to candy.

so make a hell fort and plz plz plz post a photo
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms