Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Runescape  (Read 1577 times)

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
Runescape
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:02:04 am »

Aye guys i started playin runescape again but i dont know any one that plays this game,i was wondering if theres like a B12 clan or some other people play ? im James51050 add me send me a message or sumthing:).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Runescape
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:05:22 am »

I believe Runescape has been generally (unanimously) described as "how not to run a good game" as it's simplistic and somewhat all-encompassing format makes it too user friendly and not enough content/variety/skill involved.

That said, I haven't actually played since grade school, and the fact that it's still online at all is a testament to something I'm sure.  They must be doing something right...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:09:13 am »

Yea, RS is geared waaay too much into diamonds on your Bartle chart(le) for even achievers. It is grinding to the power of a million.

Jafferey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 01:42:02 am »

I played RS for a little once. It's sort of fun exploring the world and doing some quests, but there aren't that many quests in the free version.

Eventually the game turns into a humonguous grind fest. To begin with you sort of feel a sense of achievement by getting your char higher level. But at the end of the day doing the same simple tasks literally a billion times over becomes very boring  very fast, and some people get tricked into doing this by the psychological ploy of feeling like they've achieved something because they're increasing some numbers on the screen.

Thing is apart from the exploration/quests the actual playing of the game is dead boring. Don't get sucked into playing this game for the grind, just so you can feel like you're successful for having higher numbers on the screen. It's much more fun/enjoyable/satisfying playing games where the actual playing of the game is fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:43:31 am »

Use macros, grind ore, sell bulk, buy the world~

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:46:05 am »

Played once. It was good at first but like Jafferey said it gets grindy.

Also there are random event things to stop macro-ers, and it's against the rules.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jafferey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:55:15 am »

Use macros, grind ore, sell bulk, buy the world~

But at the end of the day even if you bot etc. Who cares, all you're doing is increasing numbers on the screen. There no genuine fun in that.

When it comes to RPGs for me what is fun is exploring the world, figuring out the storyline, solving the quests/puzzles/problems/challenges.

In an RPG there is only a limited amount of these things, so once I've done all of this, it's sort of pointless doing it again, because I already know the storyline or how to solve the problems,etc.

In an MMORPG, same kind of thing except with other players as well. I think in MMORPGs what keeps them genuinely fun in the long term after doing lots of the singleplayer-RPG type stuff, is the political aspect of the game, and other interactions with other players.

In runescape I found very little of this, or not enough to keep me interested, the only thing that seemed to keep people interested in the long term was the grind, but I think this is very dangerous, as it psychologically tricks you into spending tons of your time doing something which firstly is actually dead boring, and secondly is not actually useful, since it's just a game, your not actually making money, etc in real life, which would actually be useful.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 03:40:29 am »

I still had my membership running, logged into RuneScape yesterday AND MISSED THE HALLOWEEN EVENT BY A FEW HOURS.

I DIDN'T GET THE HOURGLASS AND T-SHIRT :RAGE:

And while I'll say that RS is a grindfest, it's less of a grindfest than many other games, and many of the quests are actually not crap quests.

Also, it was my first MMO, and I always felt like coming back to it once in a while.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 03:44:46 am »

Used to play. Wonder now what was wrong with me, other than being insane and naive. Still go back for five minutes from time to time to see how badly coded java with "updated" graphics can lag a decent PC. Would rather play a more in depth text based game, because it least it gives content rather than a crappy GUI to hide the number grind.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 03:52:07 am »

But most MMORPGs are bad anyway, so saying RuneScape as one of the better ones doesn't really say much.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 04:01:32 am »

actually not crap quests.
And that's what kept me going on RS for about 2 years, the questing carried it. Sadly, things get WAY to grindy after about level 50 in any given skill.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 11:55:32 am »

haha
Yea actually i was suprised to see when i logged in,it said the last time i played was 822 days. xD haha but im just Pvping and i dont even care about dieing cuz i had forgotten my dude is rich ;p .

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 12:05:05 pm »

I remember Runescape, it was my first true MMORPG. It's still a fun game, but I basically ragequit.

I spent a month grinding to get the dwarven cannon, and I found out I couldn't use it on the draggonoth or whatever beneath the Nordic lighthouse.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-lush.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »

I played for over a year or so a while ago. I somehow managed to get a bunch of disciples following me around and doing everything I said.
I don't know how it ended but I had lots of fun with my disciples.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 01:31:20 pm »

I played for over a year or so a while ago. I somehow managed to get a bunch of disciples following me around and doing everything I said.
I don't know how it ended but I had lots of fun with my disciples.
I got to the far north, and discovered that the wizard in the arena thing bought low-level runes for tons of cash!  Then they updated it so he had infinite, and that he bought them for their average price  :'(
Pages: [1] 2