Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Player Advice  (Read 895 times)

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Player Advice
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:06:14 am »

Okay, I seem to be doing decently, I have a militia sort of set up but I have a small problem. My militia had to deal with an Elkbird but now they won't move, or at least a few of them. They are currently in a short blood soaked hallway and they aren't moving. Also I can't seem to find a way to start another game in the same world in any of the modes. I am using the Phoebus Graphic pack if that is relevant.

AUTOMATIC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Player Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:08:59 am »

Maybe they're wounded? v - point - z - enter. If they are, build a hospital.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:11:15 am »

Indeed, odds are they have some injury preventing them from moving and if you build a hospital (by basically setting up some beds, maybe a few tables and a few chests and by designating them a hospital zone via the zone designation menu) they (should) get picked up and brought over there and treated.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:11:48 am »

To use the world again, you must quit the save.
For Fortress Mode: Abandon.
For Adventure Mode: Retire/Starve/Die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:25 am »

When you start a game mode in a world, you cannot start another, this is to stop timeline screw ups (DF skips to the closest first season of Winter I think) and adventurer mode also skips a certain length of time after your last fort, so if you ran both, you'd end up with overlapping time lines, of adventurers showing up in already dead fortresses still bristling with life. See the paradox? :S

Also, they probably have motor nerve damage, muscle damage or broken leg(s)

Set a hospital, and you'll probably need some traction benches, set near the beds you use in the hospital.

You could just copy your world folder, and abandon/retire whatever you were doing and play a different game mode on the same save!

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 12:32:49 am »

Pity, I wanted to look at the legends. I don't see any injury, they said to have the job of killing the Elkbird although it is listed as dead. I might be using a slightly older version, I have occasionally played the game in the past but had never touched the military. So was their ever a bug like this? I have set up an incredibly basic hospital with three beds and they have yet to move.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:35:16 am »

Other dwarves will have to bring them to the hospital, but they only bring unconscious dwarves.

Also, go into /data/, then under /save/ go to your world folder, copy it, paste it in /save/ and then rename it. Hey presto, abandon and check out legends

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 12:38:52 am »

Pity, I wanted to look at the legends. I don't see any injury, they said to have the job of killing the Elkbird although it is listed as dead. I might be using a slightly older version, I have occasionally played the game in the past but had never touched the military. So was their ever a bug like this? I have set up an incredibly basic hospital with three beds and they have yet to move.

If they still have the job of killing the Elk Bird, you need to go into the Squads menu and cancel that job. Then stand down the squad.
Never pet a burning dog.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:44:34 am »

It could be any number of things: you didn't specify if they are in good health, if you already gave a station order etc.  If you gave a (k)ill order and now they are not moving, odds are the bird is out of sight and they aren't sure where to go.  Generally (m)ove is a much more useful order for the military--I only use kill when I want them to mop up some irritating wildlife causing cancellations--k is inefficient for battle orders since you want your army flexible and moving around.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 06:53:46 am »

Once they've done their job, they tend to stand around looking for the thing they're supposed to kill whether it's still alive or not.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 08:37:34 am »

Urist McWarrior -- Have you seen an Elkbird?  I'm supposed to kill it.

Urist McPasserby -- An Elkbird?!?

Urist McWarrior -- Yeah, it looks just like this dead one I'm standing on.  I'm supposed to kill it.  It was here a second ago and we were battling, but I can't find it now.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 09:08:46 am »

I had a similar thing with a marksman standing by a dead critter i told him to kill.... I think he was waiting to see if it would move, if it was really dead
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 11:05:32 am »

What order have they got? Did you try clearing the order? Orders other than move or patrol (like "Kill this" etc.) can result in dorfs stopping activities.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 11:06:09 am »

I've noticed that they do that if you've given them a kill command and they kill the creature. Until you clear the kill command, they seem to just stand around admiring the butchering they've accomplished, like a dwarf would.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.