Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Real-life HFS... for honeybees  (Read 4120 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Real-life HFS... for honeybees
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:40:59 pm »

(I had to think about where to file this post, but I decided it was at least as on-topic here as "knitted beards"...)

While browsing TVTropes (also via Cracked.com), I came across this video showing a honeybee colony being annihilated by Japanese Giant Hornets.  The narrator estimates 30 hornets vs. 30,000 bees, but the result is absolute victory for the hornets.  This immediately reminded me of what is likely to happen should a DF player manage to encounter The Circus unspoiled...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTrSOFyfxs

Note that Japan has a native honeybee species that is resistant to such attacks.  Not via raw power, but by a tactic of trapping the hornet scouts so the main force doesn't find them.  It's not as productive as our bees, but attempts to import European bees there did not work out.

There are plenty of videos out there showing single organisms being just as utterly raped, but showing a community wiped out is unusual.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Real-life HFS... for honeybees
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:15:42 am »

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:32:43 am »

that's the downside to introducing foreign lifeforms to a sheltered/isolated ecosystem, either the new animal has no natural predator and spreads like a plague or it has no defence against the native predators and is systematically wiped out.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:36:24 am »

Note that Japan has a native honeybee species that is resistant to such attacks.  Not via raw power, but by a tactic of trapping the hornet scouts so the main force doesn't find them.  It's not as productive as our bees, but attempts to import European bees there did not work out.
To elaborate: honeybees swarm hornet to kill him using heat, as bees are able to survive in higher temperature than hornet.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 03:41:41 am »

Hah, you're right... I kept thinking, "now only if they had outfitted those soldier bees in full adamantine gear, they could have stood a chance.."
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 03:51:09 am »

The video mentioned that stings from honeybees aren't sufficient to stop one, but it didn't mention how the wasps are able to endure this.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:02:56 am »

"Let me just finish building the wax block wa- OH GOD WHAT IS THAT!"
"Pull the lever."

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 10:45:30 am »

The video mentioned that stings from honeybees aren't sufficient to stop one, but it didn't mention how the wasps are able to endure this.

They're huge compared to the bees. Maybe they just have thick skin shell chitin that the bees can't get through.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 04:31:31 pm »

They're huge compared to the bees. Maybe they just have thick skin shell chitin that the bees can't get through.

Indeed, the bees just can't penetrate the armor, but some types of bees have learned to deal with this, they don't use magma but a probably even better tactic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6m40W1s0Wc
(the hornet arrives at approximately 1:05)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:28:57 pm »

They need some Addy Stingers

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 11:57:58 pm »

Blunt attacks sort-of ignore armor, am I right? Why don't they just get sliver stingers and make them blunt?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 09:45:55 am »

No video at work, but if I'm thinking of the right hornet, they're dangerous to humans, sometimes fatally. The stings are one of the most painful of any sting/bite. Some professor at Arizona U (I think) rates the stings/bites of insects based on the amount of pain they induce, and the Japanese Hornet rates a 4/4.

[edit] They're also dorfy in that when they decide to attack you they keep at it. However, I don't think they "latch on firmly" like some other dorfy critters will.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:47:39 am by eggrock »

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 03:26:07 pm »

We were only able to survive by flooding the lower levels with honey. I can still hear them buzzing...oh gods, what have we unleashed?
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:26 pm »

Actually, I'd recommend they learn some necromancy.  The hornets are so effective because they tear the bees limb from limb.  A hive of zom-bees would present some difficulty to the hornets.
No video at work, but if I'm thinking of the right hornet, they're dangerous to humans, sometimes fatally. The stings are one of the most painful of any sting/bite. Some professor at Arizona U (I think) rates the stings/bites of insects based on the amount of pain they induce, and the Japanese Hornet rates a 4/4.

[edit] They're also dorfy in that when they decide to attack you they keep at it. However, I don't think they "latch on firmly" like some other dorfy critters will.
Sounds like you've read Cracked's page:
http://www.cracked.com/article_15816_the-5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html
but got the bugs mixed up.

It's bullet ants that top out the Schmidt Pain Index, and it's killer bees that won't let go.

But humans do have some cause to fear the hornet.  It doesn't just sting -- it squirts venom into your eyes.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 12:49:11 am »

From my personal experience - hornet is not stinging, it is biting (at least - it feels like this). And attack of a single hornet may result in one week in hospital.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: [1] 2