Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternate Alpha Complexes - A PARANOIA resource  (Read 658 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alternate Alpha Complexes - A PARANOIA resource
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:21:26 pm »

(cross-posted from Mongoose Publishing Forums and Paranoia-Live so that you don't have to go there to see this post)

Alright then, I hope what I am doing is allowed and tolerated, because I'm still a little hesitant.

There has been hints of other Alpha Complexes existing outside of the Alpha Complex the players are in. This serves as a useful mission hook for players, as well as the basis for the mysterious "Spy for another Alpha Complex" society. The problem is that these hints are...usually just that. There has not been, to my knowledge, a supplement made about these other Alpha Complexes. There is, of course, Brave New Complex which may be eventually published in the future, but that seems to be focused on providing new settings for people to play PARANOIA in, as opposed to adding new background for a pre-existing PARANOIA campaign.

This made me realize that despite the fact that there was no actual supplement about other Alpha Complexes, alternate Complexes were in fact made. The published mission "Sweep of Unhistory" had a couple of these complexes for instance. So did fan-made missions like Alphacology. Or even Flashback's Alpha Complexities. They just had to be...complied into one resource for easy access.

Which is why I made this website called "Alternate Alpha Complexes" so that other people can know about these complexes and use them in their own PARANOIA setting. When 'extracting' complexes from published Mongoose books, I try to scrub out any information that is unique to the book/mission (to encourage people to buy said book/mission) while still retaining the inherent idea of the complex. I probably went overboard in citation, in the sense that if the book had an idea that I then converted into a complex, I cited that book as being its originator even if the complex itself was not present or named in said book. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Again, still not sure if it is such a great idea, and I am afraid of stepping on Mongoose's toes, but I felt such a resource is necessary to make alternate Alpha Complexes more likely to be used and that if I do not do it, then nobody else will.

The website:
https://sites.google.com/site/alternatealphacomplex/

EDIT: I should also point out that I plan on updating this site when I find more Alpha Complexes online or are able to extract more Complexes from PARANOIA missions/supplements made by Famous Game Designers.

When I wrote this post on Sept. 28th 2011, I had 19 to 20 complexes completed. Now there are 25 complexes on that website, and more in the pipeline...after I find time to write them. I made this topic because I want to know if anyone here also know of Alpha Complexes that I may have missed and need to add onto the website. I want to make this website as comphremsive as possible, so that anybody who wants to find a new Complex to add to his PARANOIA game can go here to find inspiration.

Thanks in advance for reading this website and giving me advice.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Alpha Complexes - A PARANOIA resource
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:22:12 pm »

* Bdthemag flips the fuck out.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:48:14 am »

These are AMAZING.

You need to write books.  Some of these would make for some pretty cool (pulp) sci fi literature.  Archipelago Complex, I'm looking at you.  Beta Complex would make an awesome short story.  Etc.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Acid

• Bay Watcher
  • Self-diagnosed hardcore lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:53:06 am »

Woah, I've never actually played Paranoia (but I've read the core rulebook) and this looks simply awesome nevertheless. Duckloads of content. Many thumbs up :)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 02:52:12 am »

These are pretty neat but none of them have Randy the Wonder Lizard so I don't and can't care