Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War animal comparions  (Read 1073 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
War animal comparions
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »

I want to try having designated 'beastmaster' military dwarves who train war animals and as a result are followed by a cloud of angry claws and teeth. However, I'm not sure what would be the best choice. What war animals do you use and why? Currently I've thought of:

Tigers (size 225,000): Quick, fairly decent size, can do a lot of damage with their teeth. Tigers probably have less fat on them than, say, a bear, so they might be harmed more by cutting attacks. Breed fairly quickly and aren't too expensive.

Other big cats (lion, jaguar, cougar, etc) (size 200,000 and lower): Seem to be smaller versions of tigers-- not sure if there are differences besides that.

Bears (size 200,000 grizzly, 400,000 polar): Slower, most likely fatter than the big cats. Do they resist damage more easily than more agile cats, maybe? Quite expensive compared to some of the other animals.

Dogs (size 30,000): Breed extremely quickly, very cheap. Unfortunately, they get killed very easily due to their size.

Elephants and rhinoceros (size 5,000,000 and 3,000,000 respectively): Absolutely gigantic and most likely able to stomp a goblin to pieces very easily. Assuming you've modded the raws so they graze at a maintainable rate, they might be decent beasts of war. Problems include slow breeding and maturing, and inability to store easily due to grazing. [Do rhinos have armor?]
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
Re: War animal comparions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:54:09 pm »

The giant versions of the big cats work pretty well.

But I am a die-hard fan of war-dog bombs. Easy to maintain, self-perpetuating, and allow my military dwarves to survive otherwise hopeless engagements. Also, emergency food/bone supply.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:58:13 pm »

Tigers (size 225,000): Quick, fairly decent size, can do a lot of damage with their teeth. Tigers probably have less fat on them than, say, a bear, so they might be harmed more by cutting attacks. Breed fairly quickly and aren't too expensive.
Probrably useful for Gobbos that are routing.
Other big cats (lion, jaguar, cougar, etc) (size 200,000 and lower): Seem to be smaller versions of tigers-- not sure if there are differences besides that.
Another alternative if you don't have acess to tigers.
Bears (size 200,000 grizzly, 400,000 polar): Slower, most likely fatter than the big cats. Do they resist damage more easily than more agile cats, maybe? Quite expensive compared to some of the other animals.
In my experience, bears can take hits, and I use them at the entrances of my fort.

Dogs (size 30,000): Breed extremely quickly, very cheap. Unfortunately, they get killed very easily due to their size.
Gobbo fodder. Attach them to children.

Elephants and rhinoceros (size 5,000,000 and 3,000,000 respectively): Absolutely gigantic and most likely able to stomp a goblin to pieces very easily. Assuming you've modded the raws so they graze at a maintainable rate, they might be decent beasts of war. Problems include slow breeding and maturing, and inability to store easily due to grazing. [Do rhinos have armor?]

If you take grazing out, they can become some of the deadliest animals in your world. While not fast, they can take even more hits than bears.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:35:19 pm »

Just do what I do, and keep the rhino's wild.

I have herds of them, and not once have I had to feed them. I have however, killed many a siege with them.

And what about giant versions of said animal? Giant Jaguars... Giant badgers.....

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:40:34 pm »

Join the hive, and start up GCS and GDS programs. If you're against modding in pet, then just keep them wild in a habitat.

RELEASE THE SWARM!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:58:22 pm »

As far as I know, GDS don't breed in the wild :(

But yeah pretty much everything else will.

Use to your advantage.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 11:00:05 pm »

Use to your advantage.
Neither does GCS. It's a bug. You can fix it yourself, if you're not against it.

Watch the Reds drop in paralysis, as their minds go from dust to ash!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:06:49 pm »

Then the Giant Arachnid walk into your fortress....

robdesjardin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 12:28:27 am »

From Personal experience: Moding the RAWS for the Giant cats GCS and Giant Desert scorpion making them trainable/breed able is a wonderful experience for the future invaders. "Have you ever seen a scorpion give birth in the middle of battle? It's enough to make a goblin puke and die, or that could just be the toxins." However if you are against mods, go for the bears. What they lack in speed (do they?) they make up for in fire power.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 03:52:04 am »

I love beastmasters!  My advice: the caverns--mod everything that dwells within to be [PET] instead of [PET_EXOTIC] and you're all set.
Cave crocodiles, giant olms and reachers are all quite fun, as are giant swallows.

However the real goal is to catch a breeding pair of the big boys: Jabberer, Voracious Cave Crawler, Cave Dragon, Giant Cave Spider and one more that start with an R. and goblins sometimes ride them, I forget.  Anyways.  I recommend Jabberers.

Jabberer is as good as it gets: massive eviscerating beak, egg-laying, expensive meat and bones--good friends to keep!

Cave Spiders are lots of fun, but hard to get, if you do you can spend lots of time designing execution chambers that also maintain a booming clothing industry.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 04:02:45 am »

Giant Tigers and Giant Desert Scorpions are my personal favorites, though I'll take regular tigers if I must.  Tamed cave crocs are also kind great.  I had a bunch once, and the hatchlings kept trying to bite any dwarves that went by their pasture.  It was pretty adorable, I must say.

All this assumes being okay with modding exotic pets to be normal ones, and GDS aren't trainable without modding.  Still, they remind me of the awesome scorpion in Honey, I shrunk the kids.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 04:40:33 am »

Use to your advantage.
Neither does GCS. It's a bug. You can fix it yourself, if you're not against it.

How? I've been wondering why my dralthas were breeding but the GDS weren't...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 04:43:59 am »

Modded war cats.

Oh, and also captured then trained bears. Noticed that they generally aim for the hand or foot but that might just be my observation.