Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On life without a danger room  (Read 4017 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On life without a danger room
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 03:36:20 pm »

I've thought about doing this, but can't creatures escape in the process?  I'd rather not have a giant badger running loose through the fortress.

Soldier type enemies will never try to break free (which is a bit odd), so even your weakest dwarf can safely pit or re-cage that scary goblin Master Lasher. Animals and thieves will try to break free and usually succeed, but if you build the cage they're in right next to the pit, it should be safe because the prisoner doesn't have any time for shenanigans before it takes the plunge.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 06:01:07 pm »

I've thought about doing this, but can't creatures escape in the process?  I'd rather not have a giant badger running loose through the fortress.

Soldier type enemies will never try to break free (which is a bit odd), so even your weakest dwarf can safely pit or re-cage that scary goblin Master Lasher. Animals and thieves will try to break free and usually succeed, but if you build the cage they're in right next to the pit, it should be safe because the prisoner doesn't have any time for shenanigans before it takes the plunge.

I regularly have goblin thieves get away, even when the cage is right next to the pit. Most of the animals goblins tend to use as mounts, too. Or I should say I used to regularly have them get away, since I don't even try to pit them anymore. I only try to pit goblin soldiers.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »

I regularly have goblin thieves get away, even when the cage is right next to the pit. Most of the animals goblins tend to use as mounts, too. Or I should say I used to regularly have them get away, since I don't even try to pit them anymore. I only try to pit goblin soldiers.

I have no problem with Goblin Master thieves, and I literally have a moria's worth full of Goblins from ambushes, sieges and attempted kidnapping.
Never had a single one escape.*

*One came close, picked a floor hatch, had to kill it with my blind warrior mayor. Who was also in the guard. With an adamatine spear.
**Since then, put cage traps everywhere in my fort.
Pages: 1 [2]