Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disarming goblins from cages?  (Read 740 times)

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disarming goblins from cages?
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »

How to do this? I tried every combination of dumping and reclaiming with built and unbuilt cages :| and would like to start pitting some gobs for marksdorf practice.  Ty!
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' about the shaft!"
"Then we can dig it."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Disarming goblins from cages?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 04:50:18 pm »

Step 1: Use (d)-(b)-(c) to reclaim the contents of the cages. Foreign units have all of their equipment forbidden when they enter the map so that they don't get assigned to your military dwarves.
Step 2: Ensure that there is an active garbage dump activity zone nearby and that all other garbage dump zones are either inactive or inaccessible.
Step 3: Use (d)-(b)-(d) to dump the contents of the cages, then press (k) and use (d) to un-dump each of the individual cages. Optionally, go into the Stocks screen and un-dump various pieces of armor so that your prisoners will survive more than a few hits.
Step 4: Watch your dwarves strip the prisoners. Once they're done, you can pit them at your own leisure.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:05:56 pm »

(ninja'd, but maybe a bit more detail...)

You need to both dump and claim the weapons that the goblins are using, and you need to set up a garbage zone for your dwarves to dump the items into. Hit (i) to bring up the zones menu, select a rectangle, then hit the key (probably g) to turn on "garbage dump" for that zone. After the items are dumped, you can reclaim them with (d)->(b)->(c).

If you're using the goblins for marksdwarf practice, you may want to dump + claim the weapons from the stocks menu, so you leave the goblins armored, to make longer-lasting training targets; otherwise, you can just (d)->(b)->(c) and (d)->(b)->(d) over the cages, then use loo(k) or the stocks menu to remove the dump designation from all the cages (if the cage gets picked up for dumping, the goblin gets released, IIRC).

If you want to dump only weapons, and have already claimed all the goblins' gear with (d)->(b)->(c), I'd go with (d)->(b)->(f) to forbid it all, then go into stocks, unforbid all cages, hit tab, unforbid and dump all the forbidden weapons from there.

You'll know the dwarves have finished disarming the goblins when there aren't any weapons designated for dumping in the stocks screen.

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 05:21:07 pm »

It worked :D +1 Magma to you guyses!
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' about the shaft!"
"Then we can dig it."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 09:11:40 am »

alternatively, you can set him free in an arena and have your marksdwarfs shoot at him for practice. When it's been enough, you could let the bridge down for an escape route, through some serrated discs. The benefit of this is that if the goblin is killed in a trap like that, all his items become claimable automatically, at least for me it was, since they are now cluttering the trap area
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.